Sponsored by:

Possiblities?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I did that with a BMW. They were not pleased when photos showed up on the internet of their car (dealer name displayed on the side) sliding through some cones. But I would definitely do it again

Old 02-27-2014, 10:07 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
The one on the chain is OEM, the spare is home made.
You are genius Sam
Old 02-27-2014, 10:20 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
A couple of guys got C2Ss...I've read here somewhere...

Here :
someone in Rennteam got a 991TTS as a loaner.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:48 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

BMW had a recall on all 2012 BMW S1000RR Motorcycles after several Connecting Rods broke, holed the crankcase and spilled oil over the rear wheels. Not too good. With a car or 18 wheeler behind, you could become road-kill in a heartbeat. They explained their Robots assembling the engines and torquing the Connecting Rod bolts were undertorqued and set incorrectly. That was also a "Do Not Drive" situation.
The BMW "Solution" to their engine problem was to return all the 2012 Bikes to the Motorcycle Dealers
that sold them and have the dealers rebuild the Engines which meant total dismantling of the bikes to remove the engines, then, working from the instructions and parts kits they were given, rebuild those
16,000 RPM Race Engines through on-the-job-training. Their was no offer of new or rebuilt factory Engines, not any compensation to owners for the loss of time and resale values. Through that debacle,
many of us that had bought BMW Cars and Motorcycles for decades, myself included, swore we would never buy another BMW product. I have every confidence that Porsche would never make that mistake
and they will offer a solution that we all can live with, and a great car we can drive long into the future.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:16 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Fastlane, do you still feel confident with your 3 and support me in pursuit of a 3 for me
Old 02-28-2014, 01:09 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
BMW had a recall on all 2012 BMW S1000RR Motorcycles after several Connecting Rods broke, holed the crankcase and spilled oil over the rear wheels. Not too good. With a car or 18 wheeler behind, you could become road-kill in a heartbeat. They explained their Robots assembling the engines and torquing the Connecting Rod bolts were undertorqued and set incorrectly. That was also a "Do Not Drive" situation.
The BMW "Solution" to their engine problem was to return all the 2012 Bikes to the Motorcycle Dealers
that sold them and have the dealers rebuild the Engines which meant total dismantling of the bikes to remove the engines, then, working from the instructions and parts kits they were given, rebuild those
16,000 RPM Race Engines through on-the-job-training. Their was no offer of new or rebuilt factory Engines, not any compensation to owners for the loss of time and resale values. Through that debacle,
many of us that had bought BMW Cars and Motorcycles for decades, myself included, swore we would never buy another BMW product. I have every confidence that Porsche would never make that mistake
and they will offer a solution that we all can live with, and a great car we can drive long into the future.

Yep, I got one of those. I was initially a little queasy, but started thinking. I've re-built bike engines in high school, so I trusted BMW techs, with the proper kit from Germany had a good chance of succeeding. LOL.

I've got 3,300 Miles on the bike. All track and race miles 8000-14,000 RPM, other then the 500 mile break in. Had no problems, other then a blown coil, which I suspect was from me running out of gas.. Ha Ha..

I've since added the HP Race kit, (akrapovic pipe, and ECU from the BMW Superbike Team). This officially voided the the warranty (they make you sign off on it at the service counter which is interesting.. ) and made the bike illegal for street use.. Bike has been perfect since. The bike was so superior to the others in it's class I took a calculated risk. (Well, I wanted it so o bad there was not much calculations.) -- Same with the GT3. There is no competition.

I support Porsche will get it fixed doing what ever they need to do. They design and built the car, and should be able to fix it. -- I just hope VW Execs let the engineers run the show vs. the bean counters, as this would be killing the golden goose. Its the Porsche brand, and race prestige that allows them to sell so many Cayenne's at a nice premium. In the extreme case they don't get it right.. -- I give up.. beyond my control. At least I have fast bikes I can spin 14k all day long.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2014, 01:18 AM
JB991
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

I get those that took delivery will get a loaner, but how is it people are getting loaners even though they have never physically taken possession of their GT3? Not sure how that is cost effective.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:26 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

If it's really a month, getting a 911 loaner will ease the pain.. I could see that..
Old 02-28-2014, 01:46 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by JB991
I get those that took delivery will get a loaner, but how is it people are getting loaners even though they have never physically taken possession of their GT3? Not sure how that is cost effective.
I havent gotten mine...though I'm going to press the issue really soon.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:36 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

People who haven't even paid for their car or taken delivery are getting free (high end) loaners?!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:07 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0Q991
People who haven't even paid for their car or taken delivery are getting free (high end) loaners?!
--seems generous. There were other delays as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed! Sounds weird.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:01 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

gskudlarick: “I support Porsche will get it fixed doing what ever they need to do. They design and built the car, and should be able to fix it. -- I just hope VW Execs let the engineers run the show vs. the bean counters, as this would be killing the golden goose. Its the Porsche brand, and race prestige that allows them to sell so many Cayenne's at a nice premium. In the extreme case they don't get it right.. -- I give up.. beyond my control. At least I have fast bikes I can spin 14k all day long.”

I will say AMEN to that brother. I dumped my S1000RR Beemer at a loss of 30% of its value
after only 2 months and bought a Suzuki after that debacle. No question the Engineering and design on the S1000RR was way ahead of any bike but the bean counters chose the lowest cost
solution at the owners expense - sacrificing a reputation for quality and customer satisfaction in the BMW MOA that took decades to earn. I’m very glad all worked out well for you.

R.Deacon: “Fastlane, do you still feel confident with your 3 and support me in pursuit of a 3 for me”

Deacon, I hesitate to give anyone advice or tell them what to do with their money, but based upon my 2,500 Miles of driving my GT3 on both road and track, and having owned many NA, Turbo and GT models, I can tell you this Porsche is the best damn car I have ever driven and,
even considering the present situation, would buy it again today - But I have some nice
alternatives sitting in my garage that ARE drivable and that may not be the case with others.
With Porsche’s ownership changing to the huge conglomerate that is VW, I share the fear of my biker friend above that the bean counters might prevail in the GT3 “final solution”.
I do not believe that will happen, but I am as perplexed as many others that no information is forthcoming from Porsche to stem the swelling tide of doomsday rumors that are proliferating on the internet.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:31 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I thought about it but it'll be my luck that they give me a Cayenne diesel for a loaner.
I got a Panamera V6. Even worse than that Cayenne Diesel, I reckon...
Old 02-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

You have to believe with all these new loaners being handed out this fiasco will be on going for some time. If I was a wagering man I would bet that Porsche knows the problem but there is an internal debate how best to address it. I am not optimistic the solution will be in the best interest of the customer.

The nice loaner cars are a cushion for the forthcoming bad news. At this point I have changed from being an optimist to being a pessimist. The delay in announcing the problem, fix and cavalierly handing out some of their best models as loaners is not a good sign.

Quick Reply: Possiblities?