Sponsored by:

Things I hated about my GT3- UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:11 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Damn and double damn on the aero mirrors. I was hoping those mirrors would be salvation and was about to order them. I can't believe Porsche can't design a mirror for the 911 that won't eliminate or reduce the amount of wind buffeting we get from these mirrors. What the heck?
Not to be too wonky but there's something called the Helmholz Effect, where a cavity resonates when air is blown past it, like when you blow over the top of a bottle. The pressure variation causes a booming effect in the interior when you open the driver's window at a certain speed. Opening the passenger window relives the pressure build up. Bottom line, I don't think the mirrors have much to do with it; it has more to do with the specific volume of the interior.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, I think it's interesting that the 991 Carrera booms with both windows open. You need to crack the sunroof (if you have one, not allowed on track) to get some relief. I think the sport mirrors on the GT3 are an improvement. On the 991 Carrera, you can reduce the booming by simply placing a flat hand near the mirror and manipulating the airflow.

Wasn't Helmholz Herr Mezger's lab assistant?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Not to be too wonky but there's something called the Helmholz Effect, where a cavity resonates when air is blown past it, like when you blow over the top of a bottle. The pressure variation causes a booming effect in the interior when you open the driver's window at a certain speed. Opening the passenger window relives the pressure build up. Bottom line, I don't think the mirrors have much to do with it; it has more to do with the specific volume of the interior.
I think Mike just called me fat.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Big wings, vaginas and (driving aids). Lions, tigers and bears.

Damn and double damn on the aero mirrors. I was hoping those mirrors would be salvation and was about to order them. I can't believe Porsche can't design a mirror for the 911 that won't eliminate or reduce the amount of wind buffeting we get from these mirrors. What the heck?

And Ychaudhary. I hear you on the black car 1% prob. I just look at it this way. For about 10 min. a clean 991 in black is just the most sexy looking color ever. I just close my eyes the rest of the week and look forward to that 10 min. again over and over.

Psh, More like 60 seconds...errr...wait.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:52 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats great. I know what you mean by killing it. I followed a new on the track this weekend. The way the car rotated around tight corners was amazing. I guess the RWS really does work.

As far as keeping a black car clean its nearly impossible, but you may want to try some synthetic sealer like zaino. I prefer carnauba but the synthetic stuff lasts a little longer.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Ychaudhary
Lol. Good one
Old 02-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Wasn't Helmholz Herr Mezger's lab assistant?
Originally Posted by Ychaudhary

No fatties here....

Quick Reply: Things I hated about my GT3- UPDATE