Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front radiator Stoned!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I hope someone comes up with a nice solution for this. I'd like to have something that is functional but doesn't look like a cobbed up POS.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I said not petty, now you have to go to call it a cobbed up POS just because it is no 991 GT3.

I kid, I kid, couldn't resist...

I did add front brake cooling through Naca ducts in the bottom and straight through the front but maybe that is no longer needed with the bigger PFC brakes.

Now with the wide body GT3, does the 991 GT3 have the AWD body that allows front brake cooling hoses to go where the axles go on a AWD?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

^^ lol. Because race car.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I said not petty, now you have to go to call it a cobbed up POS just because it is no 991 GT3. I kid, I kid, couldn't resist... I did add front brake cooling through Naca ducts in the bottom and straight through the front but maybe that is no longer needed with the bigger PFC brakes. Now with the wide body GT3, does the 991 GT3 have the AWD body that allows front brake cooling hoses to go where the axles go on a AWD?
i thought I saw something that looked like a duct straight through from the front in that picture you posted. Any pictures of where the air enters?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Here are some, maybe better ones in my signature link, where you can see the hose from under the car aimed at the rotor/caliper.

Any shop can do it in a few hours and few hundred in parts.
Attached Images      
Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are some, maybe better ones in my signature link, where you can see the hose from under the car aimed at the rotor/caliper. Any shop can do it in a few hours and few hundred in parts.
thanks!
I already have the ones with the naca ducts in the undertray. Did the straight through ones make brakes last longer?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I tried to do testing, but it never was sure, I think the bottom does most of it, the front maybe just helps to get the pressure out of the wheel well, along with the flap that goes along the front of the wheel well.
Not sure; I figure its cheap and it cant hurt, more cooling more better IMHO.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

How exposed are the radiators on the back with the 991? Totally as in no plastic shrouds etc? Checked my car and just the one duct as per Pete's photo... Little chance of a strike off a tyre though based on the proximity of the tyre to the vent and the angle it would need to fly in...

Shame you copped such an unusual problem on your first outing...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:42 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

So much for hoping $140K car cannot be improved by chicken wire fence...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I said not petty, now you have to go to call it a cobbed up POS just because it is no 991 GT3.

I kid, I kid, couldn't resist...

I did add front brake cooling through Naca ducts in the bottom and straight through the front but maybe that is no longer needed with the bigger PFC brakes.

Now with the wide body GT3, does the 991 GT3 have the AWD body that allows front brake cooling hoses to go where the axles go on a AWD?
Honest, Peter, I just meant that I was hoping someone would come up with a commercial solution so I didn't have to cob something together myself. Wasn't even thinking about your car.....

Porsche says that the brake air spoilers and deflection vanes are unchanged from the 7.2 but that supposedly the volume of air is "greatly improved" due to a larger open in the underbody panels. I haven't had the car up on a lift yet to see what it looks like myself.

BTW, here's what the radiator location looks like from the back...
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No cooling issues as evidenced by those in UAE running them on track. Agreed some screens probably a good idea. I think you have to be a bit unlucky to take a hit there (a number of folk now have these on track already), but rather safe than sorry. Ill be doing likewise as wasnt aware this was an issue also on previous generations of GT3....
Old 02-17-2014, 09:57 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue with my 4.0, but with mine a wheel weight from the left front wheel was shot thru the back of the radiator. Wheel weights had not been taped down. New radiator and installation was covered by Tire Shop that did the tire mounting. It happened on track and the car started to slide more than usual. Luckily, I came into the pits before all the hot water was sprayed out. Definitly install wire screens. Allan
Old 02-17-2014, 09:57 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep screens would be best there for sure... I'd say its pretty exposed to debris from ones tyres for sure. The 997 opening is significantly small and ducted somewhat so less inclined to take a hit although not impossible...
Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Honest, Peter, I just meant that I was hoping someone would come up with a commercial solution so I didn't have to cob something together myself. Wasn't even thinking about your car.....

Porsche says that the brake air spoilers and deflection vanes are unchanged from the 7.2 but that supposedly the volume of air is "greatly improved" due to a larger open in the underbody panels. I haven't had the car up on a lift yet to see what it looks like myself.

BTW, here's what the radiator location looks like from the back...
We posted at the same time ;-)
Is that the radiator with fan on the left? Seems very tight, but the side air outlet is great. I'm a right that 997's only had a fan on the right side?

Originally Posted by Macca
No cooling issues as evidenced by those in UAE running them on track. Agreed some screens probably a good idea. I think you have to be a bit unlucky to take a hit there (a number of folk now have these on track already), but rather safe than sorry. Ill be doing likewise as wasnt aware this was an issue also on previous generations of GT3....
Never heard of any engine cooling issues before either. My cooling is for brakes only. Screens are easy and cheap, but I'm sure someone can make the $400 out of unobtanium with a perfect fit :-)

Originally Posted by allans
I had the same issue with my 4.0, but with mine a wheel weight from the left front wheel was shot thru the back of the radiator. Wheel weights had not been taped down. New radiator and installation was covered by Tire Shop that did the tire mounting. It happened on track and the car started to slide more than usual. Luckily, I came into the pits before all the hot water was sprayed out. Definitly install wire screens. Allan
I always double taped them with some kind of industrial strength metal A/C duct tape that Izzone gave me. Never lost a weight again.

Originally Posted by 911rox
Yep screens would be best there for sure... I'd say its pretty exposed to debris from ones tyres for sure. The 997 opening is significantly small and ducted somewhat so less inclined to take a hit although not impossible...
Not many have screens inside and relatively few radiators ever got punctured. I dumped my entire center radiator in one blow going into T1 at Barber with about 10 GT3's on my ***, but we all got away with it
That was operator error, long story, one thing led to another...
Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Maddogoz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the notes guys, yes happened on track, I noticed lack of traction from front left on right handers, I thought the tyre was going off!

will hear back from the dealer tomorrow re negotiation, but not holding out much hope.

Thanks for the pics of possible mods.

Car costing me a fortune, over 300K to start with, and I just got a speeding ticket in the mail today, busted for doing 106 in a 100Klm zone, ahhhh

Quick Reply: Front radiator Stoned!