Sponsored by:

GT3 Hill Hold Function

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:11 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GT3 Hill Hold Function

Does our GT3 car have this function. I have it on my both 2013 911 C4S and also 2013 Boxster S. The Manual says we do have it but my car does not have it for sure, unless somehow you are able to engage or disengage it on the GT3. Currently when I am on a hill and remove my foot off the break, the car will hold for 1 to 2 seconds then start rolling back, but the hold function does not illuminate in the dashboard at any point. So I guess in a sense, the car does have a momentarily hill-holding function since I get it for couple of seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I am not really complaining as I never cared for it too much on my other Porsches, as not having it give you the feel of driving a manual. But I was wondering if others have this function.

Please let me know
Old 02-14-2014, 02:56 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

As you say the manual indicates the GT3 has a hold function. It also goes on to describe some situations where it might not function. Personally I haven't had occasion to try it. I'll check it out the next time I have a chance.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:21 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike. I am very familiar with the function and with the various situations where it does not engage because we live on a very steep hill and I have 2 other Porsches that have it. I tried every possible scenario to engage it, but no cigar. Please let me know if yours works.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

mqandil, mine does the same as you describe, a temporary hold giving one's right foot enough time to transition to throttle without rolling back. I have not experienced a "permanent" hold, like in the 991 TTS.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:11 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Without a clutch, why do we need it?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:50 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

It sounds like the gt3 has what my R8 has. That couple second hold of the brakes followed by them releasing regardless of throttle or no throttle. I actually like the system.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

my F10 M5 (DCT) does the same... 2 seconds then rolls
Old 02-14-2014, 02:19 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the responses. I too really like the system as is and I never liked the hold function in my other 2 cars, and eventhough my boxster is a manual and we have tons of hills where I live, but I grew up driving manual cars on hills, and it becomes second nature to you, but what threw me off is the manual speaking of the hold function, and I see the hold light in dash flashes when I turn on the ignition. I don't mind too much the 2 sec hold, although I would prefer no hold at all, but I can live with 2 seconds, and I am hoping our GT3 cars don't have the permanent hold function like my other Porsches. Again thanks to all of you, and if anyone else discovers his or her car has this function please let us know... Mark
Old 02-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MJones
Without a clutch, why do we need it?
Because in fact there are clutches, though automated, and unlike regular PDK they are not slightly engaged when the car isn't moving. So unlike a typical auto, the car doesn't creep forward or hold it's position on a hill without your foot on the brake.

It takes a feathering of the throttle to get the car moving in slow speed situations. I don't know how much it's "needed" but apparently Porsche felt the hill hold feature would be useful on a steep hill as you transition from the brake to teasing the throttle.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:51 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Because in fact there are clutches, though automated, and unlike regular PDK they are not slightly engaged when the car isn't moving. So unlike a typical auto, the car doesn't creep forward or hold it's position on a hill without your foot on the brake.

It takes a feathering of the throttle to get the car moving in slow speed situations. I don't know how much it's "needed" but apparently Porsche felt the hill hold feature would be useful on a steep hill as you transition from the brake to teasing the throttle.
this, and its a great feature to have imho.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mqandil
Thanks for all the responses. I too really like the system as is and I never liked the hold function in my other 2 cars, and eventhough my boxster is a manual and we have tons of hills where I live, but I grew up driving manual cars on hills, and it becomes second nature to you, but what threw me off is the manual speaking of the hold function, and I see the hold light in dash flashes when I turn on the ignition. I don't mind too much the 2 sec hold, although I would prefer no hold at all, but I can live with 2 seconds, and I am hoping our GT3 cars don't have the permanent hold function like my other Porsches. Again thanks to all of you, and if anyone else discovers his or her car has this function please let us know... Mark
Just to follow up, I tried this on my driveway which is quite steep. If you are in D with your foot on the brake, the car holds for only a second or two after releasing the brake giving you time to transition to the throttle. However, the Hold light never appeared in the instrument cluster, even though it lights up when you first turn over the key, which is the same thing you experienced. I'll have that checked out next time the car is in.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,976 Likes on 2,816 Posts

However, the Hold light never appeared in the instrument cluster, even though it lights up when you first turn over the key
Maybe the light is only there to indicate a fault in the system when something is broken (usually, all the fault lights illuminate briefly on start-up just to show they are operational).
Old 02-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
Maybe the light is only there to indicate a fault in the system when something is broken (usually, all the fault lights illuminate briefly on start-up just to show they are operational).
According to the manual, the HOLD light is supposed to come on when hill hold is engaged. Since the HH function works perfectly, I'm guessing there's a software glitch with the alert feature that needs to be fixed.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,976 Likes on 2,816 Posts

According to the manual, the HOLD light is supposed to come on when hill hold is engaged. Since the HH function works perfectly, I'm guessing there's a software glitch with the alert feature that needs to be fixed.
Or maybe the manual needs to be updated to match the special operation in the GT3 (only lights in case of fault)?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
Or maybe the manual needs to be updated to match the special operation in the GT3 (only lights in case of fault)?
That is another possibility.....I'm just reporting what it says....

Quick Reply: GT3 Hill Hold Function