Sponsored by:

Unsatisfactory Purchase - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Many .2s were delivered with Adaptive Sport Seats when the 4 way was selected. Porsche had a supply issue at the time and gave them for free. I know this can be considered a benefit, however, some didn't want the Adaptive Seats. Others did but had to pay over $2k for them as not all received the free upgrade. You should be able to get what you order and there should be some consistency.
As you note, there was a supply issue in that case and the factory no doubt thought they were doing people a favor with the upgrade, although there should have been advance notice to buyers to avoid surprises.

That said, I can't count how many cars I've ordered new, and have never had an option that I legitimately ordered, like the fuel tank in the OP's case, left off the car. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I stand by my assertion that it's rare.

For the OP's dealer to say that it happens most of the time with Porsche with regard to the 90L tank is complete baloney.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:26 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

Id want the retrofit for BT on the house if the dealer didnt mention it...but we have covered that in the forums already...maybe they should have required people to sign a "I don't want bluetooth" waiver...as that would easily make almost everyone opt for the option.

Id be LIVID if I ordered the 90l tank and I got the small tank...that makes a huge difference in livability for me...so I'd be on their case about that.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
...maybe they should have required people to sign a "I don't want bluetooth" waiver...as that would easily make almost everyone opt for the option.
+1 Since PCM is required for Bluetooth, BT should just be made standard with PCM, and not a separate additional option. It's not like it adds more than an ounce or two of electronics once you've ordered PCM. If you're so hardcore you don't want PCM, then you probably won't want BT either. This would cover 99.9% of all buyers and eliminate the confusion, methinks....
Old 02-08-2014, 03:46 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

This just goes to show that the Porsche option list is too complex.
Bluetooth should just be standard with the Nav. Come on right?!
Porsche try to break down every little option possible to make one pay for it and it pisses my off.
Soon they will charge for interior light bulb option...

Missing the BT option would be something the buyer should have did homework on prior to final option spec. A keen dealer would have picked up on this but alas that is few and far between…. it is confusing all the same.

The glass scratch is what it is…

The 90L tank option is something i would want, and if i spec'd it, id expect it.
Id hold the dealer to it and have them install the tank and software at their cost.

Id tried to convert my 997.1 to 90L tank and it cost me a couple grand. And it didnt work out so i had to reverse it. The 991 should be easier to configure.
Id be pissed off if i ordered it and didnt get it.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

In the industrial construction fastener business....you better know what you are
specifying and ultimately selling, whether it's a 50 cent bolt or a $5000 epoxy concrete anchoring system. Prepare to suffer the consequences if you get it wrong....big time!

On the other hand the Porsche salesmen selling $150K cars can somehow twist it around that it's ultimately on the customer to get it right.

Make them eat it...
Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While I was at the dealer today and talking to the sales manager about this topic he said that Porsche will have to eat the cost of the Bluetooth fix for the one car they have delivered. I am sure the other two car that are coming has the same issue. My car is the only one that's spec correctly (Thanks Mike).The sticker clearly said Bluetooth ready so the customer will not be paying anything for the BT fix. I say get on Porsche Customer service and the dealer and ask for your money back
Old 02-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Let the dealer know you are not happy and ask if they have another allocation. If they do, sell the car and make $20k or more and get back in the waiting line.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Get over it and drive the car. BT problem is your own fault.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:00 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Get over it and drive the car. BT problem is your own fault.
I disagree. With just about every car these days coming with it standard, it is surprising that Porsche hasn't followed suit. I assumed the same until I read Mikes post several months back.

If my $35,000 Subaru has it standard, why on earth wouldn't my $150,000 Porsche?.......ridiculous to say the least. Might as well have an 8 track instead of the PCM!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
...porsche option is NOT easy to understands. with a household of multiple MD, JD, PhD's we are still at a loss at what is what. so the dealers have zero chance of getting it right. few ppl like Mike in CA and eduardo (who's handle i cannot remember) truly understands the option list.
'Mike in CA' & others here have a handle of the technical gt3 stuff. I concentrate mostly on PTS and 'Porsche Exclusive' options!

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That said, I can't count how many cars I've ordered new, and have never had an option that I legitimately ordered, like the fuel tank in the OP's case, left off the car. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I stand by my assertion that it's rare.
That has only happened to me once. An option I ordered on a MY1997 Boxster ('Speedster-type rear humps) was not delivered with my car because that particular option had encountered technical issues that caused a delay in availability. They never informed me, nor the salesman, that it would not be coming - we both found out when the car got off-loaded at the dealership! It is rare that the factory doesn't built exactly according to your confirmed dealer order sheet...but it could happen. But as Mike says, it's rare!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 02-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I disagree. With just about every car these days coming with it standard, it is surprising that Porsche hasn't followed suit. I assumed the same until I read Mikes post several months back.

If my $35,000 Subaru has it standard, why on earth wouldn't my $150,000 Porsche?.......ridiculous to say the least. Might as well have an 8 track instead of the PCM!
It's your job to know what you're ordering when you order a car. It has nothing to do with what Porsche decided to make standard or an option. It's not the dealers job to hold your hand. It's not an issue what Subaru makes standard. If you've ordered enough Porsche's, you'd know that most standard equipment on other cars are options on Porsche's.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:16 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

I'm sorry to hear your troubles OP. Unfortunately **** happens as people say

-On the issue with BT, even though the dealer may have some fault in this you should have searched it. None of the Porsche cars come with BT standard. So I'd say that is a 50/50.

I still cannot believe Porsche charges for BT and self-dimming mirrors considering the cheapest car they offer starts at $50k! Even cars that cost $25k in US come with those two options now as standard. We're in the 21st century Porsche, get on with the program!!

-The scratch should have been covered by the dealership. They're doing the right thing by offering you a replacement. It is up to you whether you take the car with it or not. I unfortunately can't blame them. Would you have waited another 3-6 months for another allocation?

-The fuel tank is a complete f. up... That is on the dealership's side for sure. I'm not sure Porsche would make such a mistake. You should contact the main Porsche office in your country/location and discuss what happened. Maybe they can get to the bottom. If the dealership screwed up then they should pay for it, if Porsche did then they should honor and do it as a no cost.

Good luck with the problems. Thank God they're not big issues and should not refrain you from putting a smile on your face. In the mean time just go for a drive and enjoy it
Old 02-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

It's your job to know what you're ordering when you order a car. It has nothing to do with what Porsche decided to make standard or an option. It's not the dealers job to hold your hand. It's not an issue what Subaru makes standard. If you've ordered enough Porsche's, you'd know that most standard equipment on other cars are options on Porsche's.
Though I agree the finally responsibility resides with the buyer, it must be pointed out that on all new cars Porsche trains the sales staff as to what options are available and which codes to use. That is the purpose of a sales person.

I challenge anyone not in Porsche sales to understand all the codes and exactly what is being ordered. The BT option can only be describes as so obscure that MANY Porsche sales people do not know where it is.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:11 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Though I agree the finally responsibility resides with the buyer, it must be pointed out that on all new cars Porsche trains the sales staff as to what options are available and which codes to use. That is the purpose of a sales person. I challenge anyone not in Porsche sales to understand all the codes and exactly what is being ordered. The BT option can only be describes as so obscure that MANY Porsche sales people do not know where it is.
Even though it sounds odd, I think Porsche sales people should go on the customer PCNA website to build cars so they can see what we go through, and if something is confusing, they should research it to alleviate any future issues and head these issues off in advance. I also think that if there is literally no cost to an option, it should be investigated by them. So many 991's get ordered by dealers without the smoker's package (free) that gives another outlet/lighter as well as a cover to an otherwise useless cubby. Many dealers do not even know this stuff. Most salespeople have no clue. Just shows no pride in what they do. My dealer always jokes that so know way more than they do - while a cute comment, I would be embarrassed to say that as a certified dealer.
If a dealer did not suggest that you get the mobile phone prep, they should pay to add the part - especially if car was sold at MSRP. Who in their right mind would opt not to have it? If the car was sold at a big discount, maybe less ammo on culpability but at MSRP they have no where to go. You/we are paying for their knowledge and expertise. Just my humble opinion.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:19 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BS! What do the sales staff get paid for. If it is so obviously only the burden of the buyer, why did Porsche change the configurator? Go to the website and read the details on BT capability. No where did it used to say...."oh by the way you don't get BT unless you order the phone prep option". Oh and not to mention, even the phone prep option never even mentioned BT in the description. Sorry but this is clearly a screw up on Porsches part.

I'd agree with your logic, if this specific option was at least made clear. In a day in age where hands free cell usage is the only way legally to use a phone on the road, it is surprising it is not standard.

Quick Reply: Unsatisfactory Purchase - Opinions?