Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsatisfactory Purchase - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:57 AM
mshahidz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsatisfactory Purchase - Opinions?

Hey guys, I've listed below some key facts for which I am seeking advice. As a first-time Porsche client this has been a very disconcerting experience.

1) I made a thread a few weeks back about my discovery that the car did not have BT Telephone. After going back and forth with the dealer, they basically insinuated that it is not their responsibility to offer BT to us. Considering that we expected BT to be standard with PCM/NAV like almost every other car, it was a difficult situation to assess. The dealer claimed that they knew from the get-go that the car doesn't have BT standard - which was never mentioned at all. Mind you, driving a motor vehicle without a handsfree device is illegal in our province. They instead offered the fix @ 1750+install. and they paid half. Mind you, the retrofit kit is now on SunCoast for 799.99. After installing the kit, they failed to test the install, we found out the mic was not working halfway home. We should have checked this at the dealer before leaving but still unacceptable on their part.

2) About 3 hours after picking up the car, we discovered a fairly large scratch on the rear passenger-side glass. This was something that should have been taken care of at inspection. Instead we had to drive the car to the dealership twice (30km distance each way) to get the scratch repaired. They offered a repair, or replace. I felt that it was not a good idea to have the glass and seals re-done on a vehicle with less than 200km on it. Regardless, they buffed it out and everything looks perfect. However, this was once again, completely unacceptable.

3) When we ordered our vehicle, the 90L fuel tank was a very important option to us for various reasons. Our car finally needed a fill up today for the first time (350km on the car) and the car only accepted 59L on a tank that was on completely empty (well passed the red). I went to the dealer and asked for an explanation, and was instead given this answer " we often select this option but the factory doesn't end up installing it most of the time, I wouldn't worry about it ".

All in all, the car has 500km on it, and 300km of that has been trips to the dealer and back to fix the above problems 1 and 2.

Im looking for some suggested or opinions on how to handle this issue of the 90L fuel tank. Am I SOL again? It was a $0 option so its hard to ask for monetary compensation in this matter. It is also not something we could have known on delivery - otherwise the car would have surely been refused.

I know some people may say this is very minor, but when you're spending close to 200k on a vehicle, the least you can expect is a satisfactory experience and attention to detail - specially from an organization like Porsche.

Mind you, all of this does not detract from an otherwise excellent vehicle
Old 02-08-2014, 03:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,622 Likes on 2,308 Posts

when the dealer failed to install BT correctly, that's their fault and should be fixed however, whenever, whatever to your satisfaction.

not having BT ordered is partly your fault. porsche option is NOT easy to understands. with a household of multiple MD, JD, PhD's we are still at a loss at what is what. so the dealers have zero chance of getting it right. few ppl like Mike in CA and eduardo (who's handle i cannot remember) truly understands the option list.

the glass issue. i am not sure if you are in USA. but dealers wont chk that for you. rightly or wrongly doesn't matter. you have to chk it all yourself.

now i am not saying the dealer is "right". but i am saying that your experience is NOT ATYPICAL of porsche delivery. their option list is unnecessarily complex. this car should have ONE trim. no options all standard. you take it or leave it. but at last i dont run porsche ag. so i share your pain.

forget the little things, put the right foot to the metal and smile.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry for your troubles.

The BT issue is one that should have been made clear during the ordering process but even many dealers didn't know what was required. I think your dealer just isn't admitting that they were ignorant. I posted a thread about this problem months ago; it's unfortunate that you didn't see it.

On the fuel tank, are you saying you ordered it but the car was delivered without it? It's rare for the factory to make a mistake like that. For the dealer to say that they order the 90L tank but the factory doesn't deliver it most of the time is total and utter BS and makes me doubt their truthfulness about what really happened. The 90L tank isn't available for RHD cars; I assume that's not your situation.

If you ordered it, it should have been on your retail order sheet. If it's not on the sheet then you should probably have double checked to make sure the order was correct. If it was on the sheet, whether it's a $0 option or not, you have a case for pursuing it with the dealer. They should be able to retrofit it, though it will cost them.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:34 AM
hdnuts
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sorry for your troubles.

The BT issue is one that should have been made clear during the ordering process but even many dealers didn't know what was required. I think your dealer just isn't admitting that they were ignorant. I posted a thread about this problem months ago; it's unfortunate that you didn't see it.

On the fuel tank, are you saying you ordered it but the car was delivered without it? It's rare for the factory to make a mistake like that. For the dealer to say that they order the 90L tank but the factory doesn't deliver it most of the time is total and utter BS and makes me doubt their truthfulness about what really happened. The 90L tank isn't available for RHD cars; I assume that's not your situation.

If you ordered it, it should have been on your retail order sheet. If it's not on the sheet then you should probably have double checked to make sure the order was correct. If it was on the sheet, whether it's a $0 option or not, you have a case for pursuing it with the dealer. They should be able to retrofit it, though it will cost them.

+1 Mike :-)
Old 02-08-2014, 07:40 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Sorry to hear, but check your printout of the order. As you say, the fuel tank may have been important to you, but if it's not on the order it's not important to the factory. If it wasn't confirmed on that, you are SOL
Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 AM
GTGTGT
Instructor

i was told by my dealership that it can be retrofitted through software change post production at the dealership. it may be something to ask your dealership. Best of luck.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:38 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sorry for your troubles.

Many .2s were delivered with Adaptive Sport Seats when the 4 way was selected. Porsche had a supply issue at the time and gave them for free. I know this can be considered a benefit, however, some didn't want the Adaptive Seats. Others did but had to pay over $2k for them as not all received the free upgrade. You should be able to get what you order and there should be some consistency.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:17 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting to note the dealers configurator now has a separate check box to add or delete the BT option....
Check this box if you want it
Check this box if you don't
Hope the confusion has been eliminated for future orders.....
Old 02-08-2014, 11:07 AM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

I was taught from a very early age

Someone does wrong by you once shame on them.

Someone does wrong by you twice shame on you.

from now on check everything and be very very clear what you want from your dealer

And conform everything you want by email. No ambiguity. You will not have any problem in the future
Old 02-08-2014, 11:53 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I almost missed the BT but luckily saw Mike's thread and had it changed. Frankly I would have just left it without BT and not bothered but looks like it was important to you. I think your dealer did you good by paying the 1/2 of the cost. It really isn't their problem. The fuel tank is a interesting one. In my case I checked my order sheet line by line to make sure and I can see how one option could be missed. I have the small tank in my 0.2 and going to gas station and having people drool over your car every other week is fun. Just have fun with the car and forget these little issues. Like mooty says floor the pedal and get your frustrations out
Old 02-08-2014, 12:14 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobreeder
I was taught from a very early age

Someone does wrong by you once shame on them.

Someone does wrong by you twice shame on you.

from now on check everything and be very very clear what you want from your dealer

And conform everything you want by email. No ambiguity. You will not have any problem in the future
http://youtu.be/eKgPY1adc0A
Old 02-08-2014, 12:35 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 158 Posts

I got lucky with a May allocation, and nabbed it a few weeks ago. The build sheet had been completed months before I was involved (dealer ordered.) I asked if I could change a few things without delaying the delivery date - dealer said "sure." I added a few options that I really wanted (adaptive sport seats and hydraulic lift). THEN....I noticed on that the BT option (619) was not on the original build sheet. I contacted the dealer again, and he noted that HE added it when he added the seats and lift....
said it was a 'no brainer.' I guess it all depends on how educated your dealer is....
Old 02-08-2014, 12:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 86 Posts

If you are unhappy with the car, I suggest you work out a deal with the offending dealer. Have them sell your car and you get a new GT3 allocation. Otherwise, just enjoy the car.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:11 PM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

If I were the OP I would probably be disappointed, and to him/her I wish it was different. But regrettably if I was the dealer I would have great difficulty exchanging a built vehicle under these circumstances. The poor repair is on the dealer, but the order is on the customer, and signed on the bottom line of the order sheet. The dealer doesn't have to tell the customer what to do, but could advise. In this case, not a lot of advising. But he who buys should be aware of what he is buying...or not.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:45 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default To each their own...

First, I totally get it. Not too long ago, even a $60,000, let alone a $160,000 (U.S.) would have dealers putting the buyer on a very short, but exclusive list hailed with champagne and caviar?

Even the absolute pinnacle of highline vehicles rarely cause a salesman to pause anymore, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. (I humbly proffer, it's personal experience).

I don't really expect any more consideration and service from my imports than I do my U.S. manufacturers. Not trying to sound like an Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh, but this acceptance makes dealing w/ issues like these easier from an emotional perspective (please see reduced performance thread).

That being said, I can't help but smile a bit regarding Bluetooth??

Isn't bluetooth on this car along the lines of seatbetls on an airplane???

Quick Reply: Unsatisfactory Purchase - Opinions?