Sponsored by:

Fell into this one!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:53 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^Agreed, @orthojoe.

Until there is official word that it's the "worst case scenario," I'm going to simply look forward to taking delivery and assume that Porsche is out to make money and foster customer and brand loyalty, rather than fall prey to believing that whatever fears we have (and perhaps boosted by the Internet) are more likely to be true.

There is a problem with some of the cars. It will be fixed, amid some frustration. Each customer is entitled to judge whether or not that frustration is "worth it" to them AND is fully justified in that opinion. For me, I'm still counting down the days to delivery--and impatiently so!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
David, I am not sure if you saw this post by Aamersa on 2/14;

Many GT3s will need an engine change. Issues with the connecting rod bearing, it melts, symptom is some rattling noise.

I would take the car in immediately since you are hearing rattling noise from the engine. For now I would not drive it until it is check out.
Interesting.. Maybe I'm lucky for all the snow this month.. LOL .. I HOPE this not true, but willing to accept it if so...--- If they gots to do it they gots to do it.. best before Spring !!!

Hmmm. -- got one of these on a bike couple years ago.. Did a dealer hold for 2 weeks while they wrote the tech instructions in Germany. Total engine tear down.. I figured to have the fastest production mc in 2 years was a feat and they were pushing the limits anyway putting the BMW Sauber F1 team on the bike. I respect that and accept the compromise that some things can be missed with such aggressive performance goals. ("Special Forces don't use the safety on their guns in the cafeteria"idea .. or what ever it is.. ).

In the context, I don't want the GT3 engineers to be dragged down by the same policies an procedures as the 911, or Panamera Engineers. If you want a perfect quality controlled car, don't get a GT3. Thats not where the focus is. You can't have your cake and eat it, .. quite yet anyways..

Porsche will do the right thing. I feel were in good hands and not concerned, just aware. So, if your worried, I guess only drive on streets with grass medians so you can jump out when you see Flames and Fire Trucks chasing you

Code:
(NHTSA) for 2012 BMW S1000RR motorcycles manufactured between September 1, 2011 and 
April 10, 2012. According to the recall, a manufacturing error may allow the 

connecting rod bolts to loosen during high engine temperatures and/or
 high engine speeds potentially causing “catastrophic engine damage.”

Such damage may allow oil to escape and result in handling issues and risk of a crash.
--Oil on the track = Multiple crashes..
Old 02-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
One question: Anyone notice a rattle in the rear end? It kind of sounds like a wire hanger rubbing on something in the rear. At first I thought it was part of the increased noise of the GT3 versus a regular 991, but Bill's car had nothing like it. Feel like I need to take it back to see if they can find it and "fix" it. Such a pain!!
There is a rattle or chatter from the gearbox at idle in neutral that from reports is common; you can hear it right under the "tunnel" in the rear compartment, but nothing from the rear end. And it's not a metal scraping sound. Can you hear your noise from outside the car?

BTW, the melted con rod bearing rumor is total unadulterated BS, although among all the false internet reports about the car it's one of my personal favorites.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:03 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
BTW, the melted con rod bearing rumor is total unadulterated BS,
Not worried about it, but good to see this from the guy with 7,000 posts.. --Makes good coffee convo, as it brings some joy to friends and family... laughing, that I finally got my much anticipated Porsche... but it's flammable.. Adds to the mystic. "this is not your Dad's 911" ---(that was a 1976 Targa, which all 6 of us drove to church in on Sundays.. 3 boys in back-- jr on hump, and baby sis on moms lap... and we did get stopped for speeding on the way home one Sunday.. Poor Cop.. --- before seat belt lawsuit mania at least..)
Old 02-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Mike, I have no idea what the rattling problem is related to. But as the owner I would take my car in immediately. FWIW, David did not hear the noise in his friend's GT3.

All I have been saying and getting flamed for is we all need to be vigilant and get answers. I am not one to let things come to me. If there is an issue with my car then I have a right and demand to know what the hell it is.

Will Porsche do the right thing? Of course! But let's not forget the nonexistent RMS problems or the drive shaft issues in the early Cayenne's. Porsche fought tooth and nail before they stepped up. I am sure they will step up with the GT3. Their reputation is on the line especially if the auto magazines begin reporting this.

I have every intention of taking delivery of my car hoping all it is are a couple bolts.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:24 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

I hear a 'Chundering' when the car is at Idle. My dealer said it's cause i have a Bad Axe Race car Engine behind me and those are the big Cams. -- Sounded good to me.. I don't have time to worry about all this garbage.. --I'll just take it into service.. --- Where is the Track!
Old 02-16-2014, 03:49 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Haa.. My awesome sales guy.. (who actually drives the product -- Spyder RS 60) says I can get an oil change and send sample of old oil to Porsche and they will pick up the tab.. --I'll wait a couple weeks till this all settles down.. Can't get to the dealer in the snow anyways..-- trying to forget about all this , but it's too addicting.. LOL..
Old 02-16-2014, 11:27 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There is a rattle or chatter from the gearbox at idle in neutral that from reports is common; you can hear it right under the "tunnel" in the rear compartment, but nothing from the rear end. And it's not a metal scraping sound. Can you hear your noise from outside the car?

BTW, the melted con rod bearing rumor is total unadulterated BS, although among all the false internet reports about the car it's one of my personal favorites.
Mike and others,

I don't think the rattle has anything to do with the engine or gearbox. I hear all of that "normal business" going on back there but this "rattle" comes up only when I hit rough pavement. It sounds like something is a little loose. If the pavement is smooth, nothing at all.
I drove about a 100 miles today, a combination of highway and fun roads. Pushed it pretty hard up to 5,000 rpm, short shifting away. I'm up to 820 miles. It was fun, but can't wait to push it further.

I think I need to take it in for the PCCBs, I heard the rubbing/clicking sound on full lock three times the last 2 days. Will check with my SA in the AM, probably take it in for both issues.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:15 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Default Rear Rattle Fixed!

Took the car in this AM. Moe, the GT3 tech at Porsche San Diego, went out on a test drive with me. He said "yep, that's not right". Something on the rear deck lid needed tightened down. Problem solved.

PCCB parts ordered. Will take 4-6 weeks to get the new rotors. Meanwhile can work these brakes hard.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:25 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Took the car in this AM. Moe, the GT3 tech at Porsche San Diego, went out on a test drive with me. He said "yep, that's not right". Something on the rear deck lid needed tightened down. Problem solved.

PCCB parts ordered. Will take 4-6 weeks to get the new rotors. Meanwhile can work these brakes hard.
David, glad your rattle problem was easily resolved!

By the way, on the PCCB's do you hear the clicking noise on full lock in both directions and is it with the brakes applied or not?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:21 AM
exile330
5th Gear

I have the same problem with the rattling noise in the rear end, it sounds like something is loose in the rear.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:26 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Mike,

I could reliably create the noise with right turn lock and light breaking. The dealer has to go thru a few hoops to get the parts, but sounds like I'll have them NLT 6 weeks. Mean while I'm going to get the most out of these rotors.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:28 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by exile330
I have the same problem with the rattling noise in the rear end, it sounds like something is loose in the rear.
It seems to be a pretty easy fix. My SA said it was the rear deck lid, something needed tightened down. I hit some pretty big bumps last night and it was nice a quite.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:42 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PM'd you David

Glad everything checked out ok with the car

Quick Reply: Fell into this one!