Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fell into this one!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 244 Posts

Wow there are a fair amount if M5 owners on here!!

Great minds think a like!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:58 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Beautiful car.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:27 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:46 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Oh no, BAD THERMOSTAT!

Having put 500 miles in the last week, I thought I was not going to have the thermostat issue. WRONG! Warning light came on this morning as I was driving to work. NOT GOOD. I got the yellow, "you can still drive the car" warning, so took it in to the dealer. The shop foreman is the only one working on GT3s with this issue, so nothing will happen till Monday at the earliest. NICE. Oh well.

Rob, when I get the car back in good working order I'll be in touch. I think the M5/GT3 combo is a perfect mix. I love giving people rides in the GT3, its just so unique.

Its interesting comparing the gearboxes in these two cars (F10 M5 and GT3). I have read so much about the nice action of the paddle shifters in the GT3, but I prefer the M5s. That being said, I usually use the gear shifter rather than the paddles in the M5. I thought the M5s gear shift action was very good until getting the GT3. The GT3's shifter is awesome. It has a great feel, much better than the M5. I never use the paddles in the GT3.

I was looking forward to a track day at Auto Club Speedway with Speed Ventures on 15 Feb, but I'm not sure I want to be two hours away if the cam sensor becomes an issue. I think I will get past break in and try to rev it up enough to see if it will be a problem. The service rep would not replace it without an error message.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Default Pics are with lift up

I do have the lift. I kept forgetting to lower the car for the pics. For me, the lift is essential. I barely get by with the front end lifted with some of the garages I drive into.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Sam,
I love the black and white Texas plates. I stole your personalized plate here in CA, I was able to get TRACWPN, although I wish California had a black and white plate offered.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Have you signed up for the antique plates here in CA? The old blue with yellow writing, or even better.. Black with yellow are pretty cool.. Hope they end up producing them.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:24 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

David, would love a ride!

Come out to a POC (Porsche owners club) event. Awesome and talented group of drivers. Just got home from WSIR tonight. Would be happy to introduce you, if you don't already know folks there. True Porsche enthusiasts.

CAlexio, agree on the black and yellow plates. Love them. Hope they produce as well...sounds like it will be a while though, huh?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:19 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Rob,

Hopefully I don't have to wait too long for the thermostat. When I get the car back I'll be in touch. Definitely would be interested in the POC.

David
Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Sam,
I love the black and white Texas plates. I stole your personalized plate here in CA, I was able to get TRACWPN, although I wish California had a black and white plate offered.
So awesome. Who knows, maybe one day we can run the same track together. That would be fun. Sorry to hear about the thermostat issue but hopefully they have one in stock and you'll be back in business shortly...
Old 02-09-2014, 10:32 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Having put 500 miles in the last week, I thought I was not going to have the thermostat issue. WRONG! Warning light came on this morning as I was driving to work. NOT GOOD. I got the yellow, "you can still drive the car" warning, so took it in to the dealer. The shop foreman is the only one working on GT3s with this issue, so nothing will happen till Monday at the earliest. NICE. Oh well.

Rob, when I get the car back in good working order I'll be in touch. I think the M5/GT3 combo is a perfect mix. I love giving people rides in the GT3, its just so unique.

Its interesting comparing the gearboxes in these two cars (F10 M5 and GT3). I have read so much about the nice action of the paddle shifters in the GT3, but I prefer the M5s. That being said, I usually use the gear shifter rather than the paddles in the M5. I thought the M5s gear shift action was very good until getting the GT3. The GT3's shifter is awesome. It has a great feel, much better than the M5. I never use the paddles in the GT3.

I was looking forward to a track day at Auto Club Speedway with Speed Ventures on 15 Feb, but I'm not sure I want to be two hours away if the cam sensor becomes an issue. I think I will get past break in and try to rev it up enough to see if it will be a problem. The service rep would not replace it without an error message.
Quit worrying about the "breaking in" and get on it, already. The car is ready!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:42 PM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to this event I would love to see the car and be a passenger
Old 02-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What a great combo! M5 and the GT3! I sold my F10 before getting the GT3, I had a feeling that I would neglect the M5 and was okay with DD the GT3. But it must be awesome to have both combos. Good luck bud!
Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one am not going to congratulate you b/c I've been waiting patiently for 2 years for my car, an it's not here yet. Worse, some have been waiting upwards of 5 years for this car. So us long-waiters cannot share in your joy.

J/K! Enjoy the new metal. I'm sure the thermo issue will be resolved quickly.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:10 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Ychaudhary, Its funny you bring up neglecting the M5. My clear bra installer, who has done a number of GT3 and F10s, told me I won't want to drive the M5 anymore! The M5 works for work, the GT3 being a little too flashy. I did a few mods (ADV wheels, HR coil overs, Akrapovic Evolution exhaust, etc), so the thrill is still there. I love the sound this car makes with this exhaust.
I loaned my car to ACG Automotive here in SD and ADV for a marketing photo shoot.

frayed, dude you had me going there for a second! I feel your pain.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Fell into this one!