Sponsored by:

Have I made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:36 PM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have I made a mistake

I have ordered the 991 gt3 but after reading some of the posts I am wondering if the animal might be just a bit too hardcore for me.

I am soo excited about this car. I've read every review i could get my hands on and the consensus seemed to be that this car can be a dd.

The only thing that worries me is the ride. How firm is it? I've driven 997 c2s for years now and never ever had a problem with the ride even in sport mode.

A lot of the forum users reviews are suggesting it's a lot more firm than the c2s in sport mode. How much is a lot more is my question? Will I need spinal fusion after a couple of months or is it just a notch firmer making it an easy dd.

Track days are few and far between for me but we have some amazing country roads around where i live hence the excitement with this car. So the car will get me to work every day and do some spirited driving on weekends with the rare track day thrown in for a real treat.

Of course there is the problem of she who will be obeyed she just loves hard riding cars. NOT I suppose she could always catch the bus.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:44 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

No mistake, you've made the right choice.

My "she who must be obeyed" calls the GT3 and 928GT "titty shakers".

She has, and does, drive both cars on rare occasions.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:53 PM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

Ha Ha love it titty shakers. I suppose I could trade mine in on a later model if it comes to the crunch
Old 02-07-2014, 02:19 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gonzo, I've had similar concerns, especially because the road quality where I live is horrible. The way I look at it, if I get the car and find that it's not for me, it will maintain its value very well and should be no problem to sell... So it's a win-win. You'll either like it and keep it, or you'll not like it and easily move on to your next car...
Old 02-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

If you're completely OK with a C2S in sport mode, I don't think you've made a mistake. I came directly from a C2S (although with the sport chassis) and the GT3 is firmer, with almost zero body roll, but it's not jarring if that makes any sense. It is noisier inside than the Carrera, but you won't be needing any spinal fusions. On reasonable roads it feels very firm but it's controlled and not harsh.

I had a 996 that I lowered with a complete suspension makeover; that car was no fun to drive on the street. The GT3 is incredible fun and could easily be driven daily as long as you don't expect a totally smooth quiet ride.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:05 PM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

thanks for the encouragement I feel better already cant wait ti hear 9000 rpm oh the other reason i decided to jump was i think this gt3 will be the last of the naturally aspirated. I reckon this one could be a keeper
Old 02-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

.....your ready
Old 02-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me chime in since I am the resident "softie" coming from an F10 M5 (which is almost as comfortable as my Maybach).

The first time I got in my GT3 I was wondering how am I gonna do this on a daily basis, the car is super low and I'm a pretty big boy for that small of a car (6'5 215 lbs getting into a GT3 is a funny sight according to the misses) I got in it and immediately realized even though the car is small there is copious amounts of legroom with room to spare, I don't have to bend my knees or anything, it fit like a glove. The seats are sporty enough that you feel you are in a proper sports car but also forgiving enough so that you don't feel like you are in Recaro's. In traffic the car feels like a more angry M5. It is comfortable yet if you are stopping and going you are going to feel the occasional jerkiness, but if you are cruising about at 90 MPH you could probably sit in the car for hours at a time and not feel a thing. Getting out of the car for me is also quite funny, because I have to put my hand on the GT3 badge in my door sill and propel myself out of the car, quite funny but also very effective, something that you get used to very quickly and you don't even notice you are in a low car. Overall the driving experience is amazing if you are looking for comfort and if you are looking for spirited driving on backroads then I would pretty much argue there is not a better production car on the planet to be doing it in. All in all, the biggest thing you need to worry about is the how you are gonna occupy your mind on the long wait ahead before you get your car.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ychaudhary
Let me chime in since I am the resident "softie" coming from an F10 M5 (which is almost as comfortable as my Maybach).

The first time I got in my GT3 I was wondering how am I gonna do this on a daily basis, the car is super low and I'm a pretty big boy for that small of a car (6'5 215 lbs getting into a GT3 is a funny sight according to the misses) I got in it and immediately realized even though the car is small there is copious amounts of legroom with room to spare, I don't have to bend my knees or anything, it fit like a glove. The seats are sporty enough that you feel you are in a proper sports car but also forgiving enough so that you don't feel like you are in Recaro's. In traffic the car feels like a more angry M5. It is comfortable yet if you are stopping and going you are going to feel the occasional jerkiness, but if you are cruising about at 90 MPH you could probably sit in the car for hours at a time and not feel a thing. Getting out of the car for me is also quite funny, because I have to put my hand on the GT3 badge in my door sill and propel myself out of the car, quite funny but also very effective, something that you get used to very quickly and you don't even notice you are in a low car. Overall the driving experience is amazing if you are looking for comfort and if you are looking for spirited driving on backroads then I would pretty much argue there is not a better production car on the planet to be doing it in. All in all, the biggest thing you need to worry about is the how you are gonna occupy your mind on the long wait ahead before you get your car.
Great overview!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:18 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

I felt the same way. But reading the reviews, I do believe it will be the perfect car. I am going to drive it to work 1-2 days per week, track it 4-6 times per year and take a few weekend runs up the Tail of the Dragon when the weather is nice.

I am in my third trimester, my little bundle of joy will be born in 5 short weeks.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

no mistake at all.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 PM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

Thanks everyone I just needed to hear all that stuff I feel so much better and wow third trimester that's as exciting as the car Love to hear a lady is enjoying her GT3 why didn't you marry me. Thats a bit rotten my she who will be obeyed is so understanding when it comes to me and my cars.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:12 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I can speak to the 997.2 GT3... the ride is fantastic. That won't be a problem. However, the noise is a problem. It's not a good date car. There is a reason that Porsche doesn't offer the $5k Burmester stereo option in this car.

I'm in the same boat as you... crossing my fingers that Porsche worked some Bavarian magic and made this new one even more livable than the last. It will be my daily driver.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:47 AM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

Yep Chromium I suppose we are going to find out. I'll keep you posted when I get mine late March or early April

Tick it and risk it.

I think the new GT3 is such a departure from the old one that everyone just isn't sure what to expect from this car It's funny really we are all buying an expensive car purely on the reputation of the last which is so different from the new car. Very few of us have had a go in one prior to ordering.

All hail the 997.2 gt3

in Porsche we must really trust.

What an amazing brand
Old 02-08-2014, 02:32 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I can speak to the 997.2 GT3... the ride is fantastic. That won't be a problem. However, the noise is a problem. It's not a good date car. There is a reason that Porsche doesn't offer the $5k Burmester stereo option in this car.

I'm in the same boat as you... crossing my fingers that Porsche worked some Bavarian magic and made this new one even more livable than the last. It will be my daily driver.
Minor correction, but the folks at Porsche aren't not Bavarian, they're Swabian... :-)

Quick Reply: Have I made a mistake