Sponsored by:

Have I made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 03:17 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobreeder

I think the new GT3 is such a departure from the old one that everyone just isn't sure what to expect from this car It's funny really we are all buying an expensive car purely on the reputation of the last which is so different from the new car. Very few of us have had a go in one prior to ordering.
I've had the 996 and 997 GT3s, and found them both to be less than ideal for DD use. Low ride height, less than compliant suspension for real world roads (meaning, doesn't absorb some bumps mid corner as well as, for example, a 997S), and tramlining (highly dependent on alignment). Noise/NVH in the 996 did grow tiresome, but in the 997 not as much.

To clarify, the stiff ride didn't bother me, but what did is lack of compliance and traction in some situations, leaving the car skittish at times on real roads.

With lift, ride height issues are largely overcome. Even though the springs are stiffer in the new GT3 over the old (can't remember exactly, but on the order of 20% or 30% stiffer according to AP), advancements in suspension tuning, longer wheelbase, stiffer body structure, the new GT3 is said to be firm but compliant. Call it Porsche alchemy. Others that already have theirs can probably clarify.

Many say that PDK adds to daily usability. I completely disagree as I prefer manual for the street. But to each his own, I'd rather have PDK in a track car and manual in a street car.

For many I think it will prove daily drivable, and more daily drivable than pretty much any aircooled car which many people have driven daily in past years.

But I do think if you were OK with a 997 in sport mode, then the 991 GT3 will be perfectly fine.

Worst case, if you don't like it, you will likely be able to sell it for no loss.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

No mistake.
The 991 is the most daily friendly GT3 porsche ever made. Almost too friendly for some purists.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:41 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I prefer that my GT3 is not a good daily driver. That's the point of a GT3: To give you something special, raw, and very different from the mundane (DD) -- something craved and looked forward to but best taken in smaller doses, like single malt scotch.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I wouldn't/won't use my 991 GT3 as a daily driver and don't think it would make a great one, certainly not like a Carrera or TT. But depending on your tolerance level, it might be serviceable as a DD, maybe more so than the previous generation. Regardless, no one will mistake it for a cushy ride.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:20 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My daily driver is often my 3/4 ton diesel. Other than any issues you might have with clearance I can certainly see the GT3 being a doable car for a DD.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:39 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I ever start to think that I may have made a mistake in ordering this car, I simply watch this video, and all worries/concerns immediately go out the window:

Old 02-08-2014, 09:13 PM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed

I've had the 996 and 997 GT3s, and found them both to be less than ideal for DD use. Low ride height, less than compliant suspension for real world roads (meaning, doesn't absorb some bumps mid corner as well as, for example, a 997S), and tramlining (highly dependent on alignment). Noise/NVH in the 996 did grow tiresome, but in the 997 not as much.

To clarify, the stiff ride didn't bother me, but what did is lack of compliance and traction in some situations, leaving the car skittish at times on real roads.

With lift, ride height issues are largely overcome. Even though the springs are stiffer in the new GT3 over the old (can't remember exactly, but on the order of 20% or 30% stiffer according to AP), advancements in suspension tuning, longer wheelbase, stiffer body structure, the new GT3 is said to be firm but compliant. Call it Porsche alchemy. Others that already have theirs can probably clarify.

Many say that PDK adds to daily usability. I completely disagree as I prefer manual for the street. But to each his own, I'd rather have PDK in a track car and manual in a street car.

For many I think it will prove daily drivable, and more daily drivable than pretty much any aircooled car which many people have driven daily in past years.

But I do think if you were OK with a 997 in sport mode, then the 991 GT3 will be perfectly fine.

Worst case, if you don't like it, you will likely be able to sell it for no loss.
Yep. I think I agree the pdk good for the track but not street. Manuel keeps you interested and is more fun based on my experience with the m3. I also agree with comment of how non compliment suspension can make the car skittish on the street.

Like I said. I suppose well find out either way. It's going to be a lot of fun How good does this thing look finally saw one the other day. I suppose I could just park it and enjoy looking at it.

Quick Reply: Have I made a mistake