Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris Harris Comments & Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 07:33 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The more positive pro and owner reviews get the more pissed the manual purists will become. It's easier to excuse a car that sucks and is a robot, which this car isn't than possibly come to grips that the car is that good and maybe, just maybe a fulfilling drive even without a clutch pedal.

I think the focused brutality (my wish and prediction) of the RS will change some minds.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
The more positive pro and owner reviews get the more pissed the manual purists will become. It's easier to excuse a car that sucks and is a robot, which this car isn't than possibly come to grips that the car is that good and maybe, just maybe a fulfilling drive even without a clutch pedal.

I think the focused brutality (my wish and prediction) of the RS will change some minds.
I don't recall anyone saying it shouldn't have been offered with PDK-S, just that it should have also been offered with a good real manual.

Porsche claims the PDK-S is so superior that a manual option is pointless, and many reviewers/owners tend to agree, but almost no one had a chance to drive a manual version of the car to make the comparison (and the manual initially tested may not have been developed sufficiently).

Imagine an alternate history where Porsche had offered both PDK-S and manual options. Then we'd be hearing glowing reviews of both, with real discussion of the pros and cons of each option, and I suspect that many would opt for the manual.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Arguing which is better is pointless IMO….
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I disagree - I prefer the right column
Old 02-07-2014, 08:54 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Originally Posted by Capt Mojo
I disagree - I prefer the right column
You sir, are a man of refined taste.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Agree 100%.

Same with still arguing that the car should have been offered with both transmissions; that boat has sailed... Time to move on...

Old 02-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Porsche should have offered both transmission choices......but, after reading all these reviews & especially CH's, it seems like they made the right decision since they only offered one transmission. Still a manual option would have been nice.

As others have pointed out.....keep a 997 GT3 or RS & add a 991 GT3 or RS.....best of both worlds.

I'm really looking forward to this vid....now I need to find a buddy in Vancouver who wants to take me for a ride in the new GT3....
Old 02-07-2014, 10:41 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

991RS for DE and cayman s race car?

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
2 or more track cars can make total sense. Manual Race car and PDK-S DE car for bullying. Got it
Old 02-07-2014, 10:44 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Agree 100%.

Same with still arguing that the car should have been offered with both transmissions; that boat has sailed... Time to move on...

..or as suggested above, start a new forum called "Alternate History of Porsche", where RL'ers can debate imaginary cars comparing them with actual Porsches. That would be more entertaining, and still pointless.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

You sir, are a man of refined taste.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

..or as suggested above, start a new forum called "Alternate History of Porsche", where RL'ers can debate imaginary cars comparing them with actual Porsches. That would be more entertaining, and still pointless.
When people say Porsche made the right choice going with PDK-S, they're indeed comparing with that imaginary car ...
Old 02-07-2014, 11:52 PM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mmmmmm I just don't know what the gt3 will be like with PDK I absolutely know I love the third pedal when giving any quick car heaps. I did have an early version m3 with that horrible automated clutch. loved the car hated the way it changed gears. Brought tears to your eyes.

Sometimes quicker isn't necessarily fun. I think that's why I am so looking forward to my GT3 let it convince me PDK is more fun. I reckon it is so good you'll forget about the third pedal and enjoy the new stuff it brings to dual clutchers eg I can get neutral mmmm theres something I really really want to try
Old 02-08-2014, 01:24 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my 997 gt3 and will probably keep it. For those days that I want to use my left foot and right hand for gear changes

But lets face it, sequential / pdk is faster / better. On the road it will make the car easier on long journeys and in traffic and on the track it will just be a faster car, period.

For me, I'm more interested in NA vs Turbo, RWD vs AWD, Porsche vs. something else than manual vs not. Happy to move on.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree BBMGT3.....I think I too will keep my 997.1RS.
These 997's are great cars!
However the wheels in my head are turning....trying to convince me that I also need the new one.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:27 AM
sidicks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I will never ever buy a PDK-S, hate it, I'm hardcore 6 speed manual only.
So you 'hate' something you've not actually tried?

In what world does that make any sense whatsoever???

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Comments & Video