Sponsored by:

Chris Harris Comments & Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
^ I'm also torn with which track car to buy. Sold the rs in anticipation of the 991rs. Will likely buy that car also, but really wanted a track beater car and the cayman gts might fit the bill. Stripping the interior or wrecking a 70k car is easier to swallow than a 160k car. So, I may just take the new rs out for Sunday drives, i.e., DEs and the stripped out cayman for more aggressive ***** out driving
Makes a lot of sense to me.
Even with a racecar (Mine will get a tag as soon as I get around to it) it still can be convenient to have a daily driver that can DE.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:54 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
...Except maybe AP who said they did test a MANUAL 991 GT3 prior to PDK-S...
Pretty sure he said they built two identical cars, one with pdk and mt, and tested them side by side including on the 'ring.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:57 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^Agreed. I believe it was during an interview with Evo (Jethro B.).
Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Like you, Chris, I'm not going to argue (again) the merits of PDK-S versus a MT and I'm not even going to argue the merits of CH's comments.

All I'll say is that, having driven both cars extensively, he is at least in a position to make a reasonable judgment. Any of us who haven't driven both cars are in a much weaker position to render an opinion, and are basically engaging in the logical equivalent of bench racing.

Whatever people may think of CH (and it seems to vary widely depending on whether he agrees with their particular opinion at any given moment) he at least has hands on experience with the cars he's reviewing. FWIW, I'd bet he's savvy enough to understand the difference in gearing between the 4.0 and 991 GT3.
To clarify Mike, I highly respect CH and he has been fantastic over the years with his reviews... I just find some of his comments on the new engine over the old engine unusual considering the characteristics he references are externally influenced as I explain. I'm sure he understands the effects of gearing...
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Mojo
I disagree - I prefer the right column
Originally Posted by consolidated
You sir, are a man of refined taste.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Definitely right column is the best choice.
Blind test results revealed…...
Attached Images   
Old 02-08-2014, 08:15 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i agree with aussie chris
i haven't driven a pdk, nor the new engine, but from the videos it sounds 'different' to the mezger.
also, there's alot of hesitance at the start of accel, that's not there with the manual. sounds like computers at work.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i agree with aussie chris
i haven't driven a pdk, nor the new engine, but from the videos it sounds 'different' to the mezger.
also, there's alot of hesitance at the start of accel, that's not there with the manual. sounds like computers at work.
There was something at work in that first side by side video.

Porsche claims 0-200 KPH in 11.1 seconds. The GT3 in the vid did 13.1.

Car and Driver tested a GT3 0-120 MPH (193KPH) in 10.1 seconds. The GT3 in the vid did 12.4.

Even allowing for error with the speedo or my thumb on the stopwatch, that's still about a 2 second difference in each case. The GT3 in that first vid was winding up s-l-o-w-l-y.....
Old 02-08-2014, 09:29 PM
CaymanR-Racer
Intermediate

well, in the other video that I already posted (#30) the 991 does the 0 - 200 kph in about 10,8 seconds… so thats fine with the Porsche claim?!… the other one is from the summer (see upload date) and , hence , from one of the first pre production models of the GT3… so maybe it was very hot etc… And one doesn't know what type of road that video was tested on, maybe it was an uphill acceleration et cetera…

As the second vid is a comparison made by an magazine, I suspect that they always use the same track/strip to make their videos and think it is a far more "objective" comparison …

->

just my thoughts…

And I think what CH wants to say is… The combination of the short geared transmission, the 7 gears and the engine wouldn't work as well with a m-transmission… coz either you would have to shift far to often/quickly and unsettle the car with a similar 7 gear m-transmission to often etc, or you would have to gear it longer with a 6 speed but then have drawbacks like a not as nicely revving engine and so on…

and I think Porsche already said that they didn't offer both type of transmissions because for such a low production model the development costs would have been to high to develop 2 types of transmissions (because if the M-trans would have been worse probably most would have bought the PDK-S anyway)… or what if the larger amount wouldn't have bought the PDK-S, then they would have made a huge loss by developing the PDK-S…

Of course it is a bit sad that they don't offer it but on the other hand the PDK-S is really so good that one can actually quite happily live with it as well ;-)
Old 02-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanR-Racer
well, in the other video that I already posted (#30) the 991 does the 0 - 200 kph in about 10,8 seconds… so thats fine with the Porsche claim?!… the other one is from the summer (see upload date) and , hence , from one of the first pre production models of the GT3… so maybe it was very hot etc… And one doesn't know what type of road that video was tested on, maybe it was an uphill acceleration et cetera…

As the second vid is a comparison made by an magazine, I suspect that they always use the same track/strip to make their videos and think it is a far more "objective" comparison …

just my thoughts…

And I think what CH wants to say is… The combination of the short geared transmission, the 7 gears and the engine wouldn't work as well with a m-transmission… coz either you would have to shift far to often/quickly and unsettle the car with a similar 7 gear m-transmission to often etc, or you would have to gear it longer with a 6 speed but then have drawbacks like a not as nicely revving engine and so on…

and I think Porsche already said that they didn't offer both type of transmissions because for such a low production model the development costs would have been to high to develop 2 types of transmissions (because if the M-trans would have been worse probably most would have bought the PDK-S anyway)… or what if the larger amount wouldn't have bought the PDK-S, then they would have made a huge loss by developing the PDK-S…

Of course it is a bit sad that they don't offer it but on the other hand the PDK-S is really so good that one can actually quite happily live with it as well ;-)
Fair enough all around. I agree that the second vid is a better comparison and with your comments in general. From that vid it seems that the closer spaced gearing in the GT3 may give a feeling of the car being quicker to rev as the GT3 hits 300KPH only a fraction quicker than the 4.0. Which in itself is fairly impressive since it gives away 25hp and at least 150lbs to it's big brother.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:33 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Arguing which is better is pointless IMO….
Originally Posted by 911rox
Guys, I'm not going to enter the debate over manual vs PDK-S
His argument may be flawed but it certainly doesn't mean PDK-s is better
^^This

Like you, Chris, I'm not going to argue (again) the merits of PDK-S versus a MT
Originally Posted by 0Q991
My goodness...I'm seriously surprised at how long the stick versus PDK-S "discussion" has run.
You've got to remember to hit the sport button with PDK for it to come alive otherwise it changes up as quickly as possible into a high gear and just boringly dawdles along. Although you can get your kicks from PDK I much prefer the manual as it allows me to be more hands on, move up and down the gears as the situation requires as well as greater engagement, interaction and control not to mention the ability to hold a gear uninterrupted for longer stretches. Needless to say, for those looking for a daily driver, you can still get your kicks from PDK in manual but the real thing is more satisfying.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2014, 01:21 AM
frayed
Race Car

Comparing internet images of gorgeous wimmen is valid. Internet is here only b/c ****.

Comparing speedos of two cars irrelevant.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:42 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arguing which is better is pointless IMO….
Guys, I'm not going to enter the debate over manual vs PDK-S
His argument may be flawed but it certainly doesn't mean PDK-s is better
^^This

Like you, Chris, I'm not going to argue (again) the merits of PDK-S versus a MT
Originally Posted by 0Q991
My goodness...I'm seriously surprised at how long the stick versus PDK-S "discussion" has run.
You've got to remember to hit the sport button with PDK for it to come alive otherwise it changes up as quickly as possible into a high gear and just boringly dawdles along. Although you can get your kicks from PDK I much prefer the manual as it allows me to be more hands on, move up and down the gears as the situation requires as well as greater engagement, interaction and control not to mention the ability to hold a gear uninterrupted for longer stretches. Needless to say, for those looking for a daily driver, you can still get your kicks from PDK in manual but the real thing is more satisfying.
Not sure that's the case with the PDK-S
Old 02-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Not sure that's the case with the PDK-S
Apologies - my post was intended to be slightly tongue in cheek and read in context of the pictures above
Old 02-09-2014, 09:15 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Fair enough all around. I agree that the second vid is a better comparison and with your comments in general. From that vid it seems that the closer spaced gearing in the GT3 may give a feeling of the car being quicker to rev as the GT3 hits 300KPH only a fraction quicker than the 4.0. Which in itself is fairly impressive since it gives away 25hp and at least 150lbs to it's big brother.
Agreed. The 4.0 or any RS has a single mass flywheel which allows the engine to rev quicker than one without; example GT3. The GT3's may be a lightened flywheel, but it is not the lighter single mass, IIRCC. The GT3's engine valve train certainly lends to a quicker revving engine as well. That is one reason it was adopted from hyper-bikes with stratospheric red-lines, as well as, a more precise, arguably more reliable, higher rpm range. That said, I would believe extracting the gearing advantage, the GT3's 9A1 would certainly get to the fun zone faster than the 4.0. I still bow to the almighty 4.0 however.

Sounds reasonable to me. Open to correction...

Last edited by 911dev; 02-09-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

So, I wonder if there is any reason to put a LWFW in the PDK-S only RS?
I think they will make it wider, lighter, more down force, more power (4.0 IMHO) and shorter gearing like before, but this time no LWFW.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Comments & Video