Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris Harris Comments & Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

OK, or at least until someone lets me drive PDK-S on the track and the RS is introduced.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The non RS does not have the LWFW and that made a big difference, so to you it will feel like a big(er) difference.
I accept that - point taken.

I will never ever buy a PDK-S, hate it, I'm hardcore 6 speed manual only. Preferably that old HM engine..
Never say never. I'm with you and can't stand PDK but PDK-S in sport mode is something else altogether. There was a time when we didn't have 5 speed manuals let alone 6 speed but I note you've taken to that rather well

OK, or at least until someone lets me drive PDK-S on the track and the RS is introduced.

That's more like it ... any volunteers?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 358 Likes on 216 Posts

I will never ever buy a PDK-S, hate it, I'm hardcore 6 speed manual only. Preferably that old HM engine..
I'm 100% with you Peter!
Except I don't hate PDK-S...I don't care really...
I wouldn't buy one,that's for sure!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:32 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Capt Mojo,I think you have the best recipe : own both!

I also appreciate your honesty regarding the 997 GT3 in terms of better road feel,rawness...
Old 02-07-2014, 05:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt Mojo
That's more like it ... any volunteers?

I just did Camp4S in Finland (highly recommend it) and I think they have Porsche driving days with GT3's now, but its follow the leader on smooth tracks like Barber or in Europe Spa and the Ring tracks that I'm not familiar enough with maybe to figure it out in a half day or so. I tried practicing left foot braking in Finland that that did not go to well.

Originally Posted by neanicu

I also appreciate your honesty regarding the 997 GT3 in terms of better road feel,rawness...
+1
Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

" I tried practicing left foot braking in Finland that that did not go to well."

Ahhh now we see the truth!!! The diehards aren't in love with the manual, they just can't left foot brake!!!
Just kidding TRAKCAR your input has always been appreciated, if you ever get out west this summer, you can drive mine as soon as I get back from Euro delivery in April. It would be great to see what you think.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Euro delivery, awesome, still miffed I had to cancel that in Feb 2010 due to 2' of snow at the Ring..
Half some half baked plan to ship the RSA to California this summer...

Left foot brake on ice is weird because you have to be even more smooth and the seat did not really go back far enough for me. Somehow I can do it in gokarts, so its a mental thing.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Yes, I am well aware of that.

I brought the subject up because the "manual purist" offen brings up heel and toe downshifting as the great joy of their driving experience. With a sequential box you can heel and toe.
right.

i thnk pdks is great. it's time for something different. just keep a few H patterns in the garage then you will be all set.

reter, just buy one of your old RS back, then add 991.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by neanicu
One's a daily driver and the other is the fun car. I'm sure you can guess which is which.

Getting out of the 997 and into the 991 the first impression you have is of how much bigger it is. It's plush in comparison, sounds amazing and the PDK-S in sport is responsive and a good match for the car. The car feels planted and, although the suspension is firm, the ride is comfortable. Acceleration is fierce and the engine howls louder and louder till you change up a gear. PDK-S (in sport) changes gears up and down according to how you're driving the car. It's always been in the right gear so far apart from when falling into a cruise and short shifting up through the gears. Manual selection also works very well when driving enthusiastically and the paddles are perfectly positioned.

Get back into the 997 and sure it doesn't feel as fast nor is it as loud but the car feels alive. The 991 is a multi-talented daily driver but in doing that compromises had to be made. You have to drive the 991 hard to appreciate its special qualities whereas the 997.2 GT3 (and other preceeding GT3s) feel special at much lower speeds.

When driving the 991 GT3 in traffic or at normal road speeds in regular PDK-S mode, you may as well be driving a 3 series with a firm suspension. There are other cars which do it better but, if you can only have one car, the 991 GT3 is a great choice.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

One's a daily driver and the other is the fun car. I'm sure you can guess which is which. Getting out of the 997 and into the 991 the first impression you have is of how much bigger it is. It's plush in comparison, sounds amazing and the PDK-S in sport is responsive and a good match for the car. The car feels planted and, although the suspension is firm, the ride is comfortable. Acceleration is fierce and the engine howls louder and louder till you change up a gear. PDK-S (in sport) changes gears up and down according to how you're driving the car. It's always been in the right gear so far apart from when falling into a cruise and short shifting up through the gears. Manual selection also works very well when driving enthusiastically and the paddles are perfectly positioned. Get back into the 997 and sure it doesn't feel as fast nor is it as loud but the car feels alive. The 991 is a multi-talented daily driver but in doing that compromises had to be made. You have to drive the 991 hard to appreciate its special qualities whereas the 997.2 GT3 (and other preceeding GT3s) feel special at much lower speeds. When driving the 991 GT3 in traffic or at normal road speeds in regular PDK-S mode, you may as well be driving a 3 series with a firm suspension. There are other cars which do it better but, if you can only have one car, the 991 GT3 is a great choice.

Great input!

Thanks.

P.S. I saw the pair on the other thread. They look great together!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Get back into the 997 and sure it doesn't feel as fast nor is it as loud but the car feels alive. The 991 is a multi-talented daily driver but in doing that compromises had to be made. You have to drive the 991 hard to appreciate its special qualities whereas the 997.2 GT3 (and other preceeding GT3s) feel special at much lower speeds.

When driving the 991 GT3 in traffic or at normal road speeds in regular PDK-S mode, you may as well be driving a 3 series with a firm suspension. There are other cars which do it better but, if you can only have one car, the 991 GT3 is a great choice.
This doesn't sound encouraging to me regarding the 991 GT3. Driving my 997.1 C2S (manual) on both road and track, the thought that always occurs to me is how alive the whole car feels, and at all speeds.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:05 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
This doesn't sound encouraging to me regarding the 991 GT3. Driving my 997.1 C2S (manual) on both road and track, the thought that always occurs to me is how alive the whole car feels, and at all speeds.
C'mon Manifold!
You knew that long time already...it is what it is...
The cars are a little different : different steering,different chassis,different power train etc.
We have to thank people like Macca,Mike and Capt Mojo(sorry if I'm forgetting someone) for their great input. Like Chris Harris is saying,you pretty much have to accept the 991GT3 for what it is...if not...move on!...like I did.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manifold
It's a different experience but I'm sure you'll enjoy it. In my opinion it's the best 991 out there albeit I haven't driven the Turbo yet but that's a different story. Let's just say that it's the only 991 I would buy ... apart from possibly the RS. I used to have a 997.1 C2S ... you're going to like this!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Must have been an NSX gearbox....
That's funny...so is this!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
right.

i thnk pdks is great. it's time for something different. just keep a few H patterns in the garage then you will be all set.

reter, just buy one of your old RS back, then add 991.
2 or more track cars can make total sense. Manual Race car and PDK-S DE car for bullying. Got it

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Comments & Video