Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Devils Advocate- The things I don't like about my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 04:28 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Still street driving and following Porsche's recommendation staying under 4,200 RPM (which to my surprise
still gives adequate acceleration to out drag most cars in the 60 to 85 MPH range) for the first 2,000 Miles,
I'm totally loving this car. Should reach my Stuttgart "get-out-of-jail" day just in time for our Region's Roebling Road Track event next weekend with Sebring following. Will then be in a far better place to comment. So far, a very long list of what I really like and a very short list of what I don't. Occupying the #1 PITA "Devil's Advocate" list to me is the rear Wing blocking my rear view of traffic making identification of the make and model of the car immediately behind mine difficult. That is important on the street but even more important on the track. Properly placed Side mirrors will not show that on straight roads. From the many 911 Wind Tunnel Smoke pattern tests I've pored over, if the rear wing were raised 6" to 8" it would be in far cleaner air, be far more effective, and it would not block my rear view. I can't see any reason not to raise it.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^^Man I didnt figure you for a follow the book 4200 rpm (what is that some USA sanctioned special litigation rpm level?) guy ;-). But fair enough. Yes rear wing does block visibility but I found you do accommodate for it. As you say it could be a bit higher. If you adjust he rake a bit it may improve around town driving (but create less down-force at 250kmph+ if you think you are likely to venture to that speed - Ive only done it once and the car was totally glued to the ground with the factory wing setting).
Old 02-11-2014, 12:27 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
^^^^^Man I didnt figure you for a follow the book 4200 rpm (what is that some USA sanctioned special litigation rpm level?) guy ;-). But fair enough. Yes rear wing does block visibility but I found you do accommodate for it. As you say it could be a bit higher. If you adjust he rake a bit it may improve around town driving (but create less down-force at 250kmph+ if you think you are likely to venture to that speed - Ive only done it once and the car was totally glued to the ground with the factory wing setting).
LOL! My experiment in self-control. My wife bet me I couldn't do it. Being highly
competitive, I accepted the bet. Very surprised it was less challenging than I thought it would be. With the Torque Peak up at 6,250 RPM, I expected the low-speed Torque on this puppy to really suck. It doesn't! Sorta like challenging the
kids wanting to race on our Freeways with one hand tied behind my back. Will still take on and surprise most other cars. But the most surprised Driver was me!
Very unexpected acceleration at low revs and likely the most enjoyable street car I've ever driven. Can't wait to let the hound off the leash. Macca, You must be going through withdrawal symptoms big time waiting for its return. If I could take my GT3 to bed with me, I would! ROFL
Re Wings, IMHO Porsche never really learned how to build wings. The original wing on my GT2 sucked. They need a Max Crawford in Stuttgart. The GT3 Wing
is badly compromised. Not only in placement, but in design. No self-respecting Aerodynamic Engineer would place a lengthy Brake Light on the underside of a wing thus interrupting the attached airstream and compromising its effectiveness. Airplanes often crash when their wing airflow has the slightest interruption from far less intrusive factors such as frost or trace icing. As amazing and incredible as the GT3 now is, I'd bet a decent wing would make it substantially better. Now, off my soapbox and on to bed. Ciao!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:36 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
With the Torque Peak up at 6,250 RPM, I expected the low-speed Torque on this puppy to really suck. It doesn't! Sorta like challenging the kids wanting to race on our Freeways with one hand tied behind my back. Will still take on and surprise most other cars. But the most surprised Driver was me! Very unexpected acceleration at low revs and likely the most enjoyable street car I've ever driven. Can't wait to let the hound off the leash.

Re Wings, IMHO Porsche never really learned how to build wings. The original wing on my GT2 sucked. They need a Max Crawford in Stuttgart. The GT3 Wing
is badly compromised. Not only in placement, but in design. No self-respecting Aerodynamic Engineer would place a lengthy Brake Light on the underside of a wing thus interrupting the attached airstream and compromising its effectiveness. Airplanes often crash when their wing airflow has the slightest interruption from far less intrusive factors such as frost or trace icing. As amazing and incredible as the GT3 now is, I'd bet a decent wing would make it substantially better.
Very interested to see your comments on this, FLT. I had exactly the same expectations prior to getting the car and have also been very surprised by how responsive and fun to drive it is even at low revs in normal street driving. I had expected it to be worse than my 7.2 Carrera S in this regard, when in fact it's better. And when you do turn it loose.....wow!

The wing height is a negative in terms of vision; I thought someone was flashing their lights at me the other day when in fact I hadn't realized their lights were on because the wing was intermittently blocking them from my view. I'm not in a position to judge whether Porsche engineers knew what they were doing in terms of it's aero effectiveness and positioning. OTOH, it's not like I didn't know the car had a wing before I bought it, so I guess to some extent I got what I paid for.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-11-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
LOL! My experiment in self-control. My wife bet me I couldn't do it. Being highly
competitive, I accepted the bet. Very surprised it was less challenging than I thought it would be. With the Torque Peak up at 6,250 RPM, I expected the low-speed Torque on this puppy to really suck. It doesn't! Sorta like challenging the
kids wanting to race on our Freeways with one hand tied behind my back. Will still take on and surprise most other cars. But the most surprised Driver was me!
Very unexpected acceleration at low revs and likely the most enjoyable street car I've ever driven. Can't wait to let the hound off the leash. Macca, You must be going through withdrawal symptoms big time waiting for its return. If I could take my GT3 to bed with me, I would! ROFL
is badly compromised. Not only in placement, but in design. No self-respecting Aerodynamic Engineer would place a lengthy Brake Light on the underside of a wing thus interrupting the attached airstream and compromising its effectiveness. Airplanes often crash when their wing airflow has the slightest interruption from far less intrusive factors such as frost or trace icing. As amazing and incredible as the GT3 now is, I'd bet a decent wing would make it substantially better. Now, off my soapbox and on to bed. Ciao!
I believe you can thank the Porsche engineers for developing vario-cam timing on the exhaust valve bank for this. As this is what happened with the .2 997 3 vs. the .1s. Don't want to get any .1 owners panties in a bunch, but .2s have far more torque available in the low-mid range than the predecessor. Far more than the 17 or 18 lb/ft (18 I believe) suggests.

Quick Reply: Devils Advocate- The things I don't like about my GT3