Sponsored by:

Which options???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 03:21 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Which options???

If I could find an extra ~£2k should I specify leather interior or sports bucket seats? I know they sound like polar opposites.

This is a road spec car so logic dictates go for the leather interior. But the bucket seats look so cool and really help differentiate the car from a Carrera.

Does anyone with experience know if the buckets are comfortable over long distances? I think that might decide it. I don't care if they're harder to get in and out of, but I need to be able to drive hundreds of miles without PITA.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:39 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

For me, they are the most comfortable seats Porsche offers. I may be biased as I've got them in both cars.
No issues after a 3.5 hour trip in the GT2 a couple weeks ago.
I've gone almost 5 hours in the Cayman R in the GT2 seats with no issues either.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:43 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Ran to Miami and back in our Cayman R with sport buckets, about 6 hours round trip and plenty comfortable.

You referenced ~2k pounds, if I was in the UK I'd have the buckets and the club sport option - now that separates the GT3!

Ryan
Old 01-31-2014, 04:57 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

The bucket seats despite the lack of adjustability are probably the most supportive seats I have sat in. I usually get a lower back numbness after couple of hours of continuous driving in most cars but not with the buckets seats.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the buckets, if for no other reason than to post a pile of pictures and **** off everyone on this side of the Atlantic where they're not available....
Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sport Bucket Seats are the best!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
If I could find an extra ~£2k should I specify leather interior or sports bucket seats? I know they sound like polar opposites.

This is a road spec car so logic dictates go for the leather interior. But the bucket seats look so cool and really help differentiate the car from a Carrera.

Does anyone with experience know if the buckets are comfortable over long distances? I think that might decide it. I don't care if they're harder to get in and out of, but I need to be able to drive hundreds of miles without PITA.
Paul, I'm going to be slightly contrary here to some of the other opinions. I love the sport buckets; had a version of them in my last two 911's and would have ordered them again if they had been available in the 991 GT3 here in the US. Having said that:

1. They are comfortable and supportive if you fit. People of wide girth are going to find them somewhat confining. May not be an issue for you.

2. For long trips, they aren't as comfortable as the adaptive sport seats simply because they can't be adjusted. I don't know about you, but sitting in the exact same position for hours is a problem for me. I end up tweaking the backrest, changing the lumbar and rake, and extending the thigh cushions to get into a new position and relieve my muscles. The buckets can't do that.

The buckets are superior in many ways, but for true long distance comfort they can be beaten. Just my opinion.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
If I could find an extra ~£2k should I specify leather interior or sports bucket seats?
Personally, if I couldn't easily afford both (assuming I wanted them and I thought they were a good bang for my $) then I wouldn't be buying the car. That said, I wouldn't drive a GT3 without the buckets.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pisses me off when ROW buyers can have the buckets and opt not to. For goodness sake OP, the answer is YES!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Pisses me off when ROW buyers can have the buckets and opt not to. For goodness sake OP, the answer is YES!
Exactly.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:57 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can always add the seats later at a higher premium of course. I would do the leather now and seats later.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:49 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tell you what OP, you order the buckets and I'll pay you double your cost for them. Then I'll ship you my standard sport seats in exchange.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:57 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know if the sport seats can be purchased in the US from the parts dept?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:58 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL, Clever thinking. I like Hopp's suggestion. The 2X profit would pay for the leather option.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Paul, I'm going to be slightly contrary here to some of the other opinions. I love the sport buckets; had a version of them in my last two 911's and would have ordered them again if they had been available in the 991 GT3 here in the US. Having said that: 1. They are comfortable and supportive if you fit. People of wide girth are going to find them somewhat confining. May not be an issue for you. 2. For long trips, they aren't as comfortable as the adaptive sport seats simply because they can't be adjusted. I don't know about you, but sitting in the exact same position for hours is a problem for me. I end up tweaking the backrest, changing the lumbar and rake, and extending the thigh cushions to get into a new position and relieve my muscles. The buckets can't do that. The buckets are superior in many ways, but for true long distance comfort they can be beaten. Just my opinion.
Definitely contrary to the others! I'm 6'3" and 195lb (88kg), which I assume is in the normal range so hopefully I'll fit. I might try my dealer and see if he has any in for me to try.

Quick Reply: Which options???