Sponsored by:

Which options???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Definitely contrary to the others! I'm 6'3" and 195lb (88kg), which I assume is in the normal range so hopefully I'll fit. I might try my dealer and see if he has any in for me to try.
haha....Well, you said long distance driving could be a decider for you, and as much as I love the sport buckets after having them in both my 996 and 997 for 12 years, the lack of adjustability on long distance drives was the only slight negative for me. And I do have friends that didn't in them very well. Just shooting for full disclosure.

I think trying them out first, if you can, is an excellent idea.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:16 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Speaking of the older (Euro 996 Recaro) GT3 buckets, I found them MORE comfortable than the standard seats in my 987 Boxster S (now sold). Did many 200+ miles trips in them without a problem. Of course, don't get buckets without trying them out first.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:38 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Ran to Miami and back in our Cayman R with sport buckets, about 6 hours round trip and plenty comfortable. You referenced ~2k pounds, if I was in the UK I'd have the buckets and the club sport option - now that separates the GT3! Ryan
Ha ha good idea! Ok I'll change the question: is it ok to get buckets and club sport package in a road spec car??
Old 02-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha good idea! Ok I'll change the question: is it ok to get buckets and club sport package in a road spec car??
Absolutely !!. I have the buckets in my Cayman R and did a 9000KM road trip with it this past summer and they were very comfortable and I have lower back problems. We were doing 12-14 hour days. You need to try them on to see how they fit you. For me they fit like a glove and are the most comfortable seats I have ever driven in.

I plan on putting them in my GT3 when it gets here...

Old 02-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Absolutely !!. I have the buckets in my Cayman R and did a 9000KM road trip with it this past summer and they were very comfortable and I have lower back problems. We were doing 12-14 hour days. You need to try them on to see how they fit you. For me they fit like a glove and are the most comfortable seats I have ever driven in.

I plan on putting them in my GT3 when it gets here...

Almost everyone agrees with you so I'm going to do it (subject to trial, if I can get one). But what about the Club Sports package? Do the harnesses and roll cage get in your way/make you look like a n*bhead if you're using it as a road car?
Old 02-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Almost everyone agrees with you so I'm going to do it (subject to trial, if I can get one). But what about the Club Sports package? Do the harnesses and roll cage get in your way/make you look like a n*bhead if you're using it as a road car?
I wouldn't worry about that too much. I didn't have a 1/2 roll cage, but I did have a harness bar and 6 pt harness to go along with the sport buckets in a car I drove on the street all the time. It wasn't a problem for me and most people thought it looked really good, for whatever that's worth.

BTW, I wasn't trying to talk you out of the buckets. I'd have ordered them again myself if they'd been available here. But testimonials aside, simple logic says that on a really long drive a seat that adjusts 18 ways is going to have a comfort advantage, however slight, over one that doesn't adjust at all. For me, anyway.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The roll bar is not a problem for me and you can always take the harnesses out when you're not tracking the car. That's what I do....

Old 02-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Oh no. Now I've added the buckets and Club Sport package it suddenly looks amazing in black!
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Research in the Fatherland: I couldn't find any bucket seats to try in London so have come to Berlin where they have a black 991 Gay Tay Drei in the showroom of the PC. They also had a red one on their website but that appeared to have gone when I got there.

First impressions of seeing in the flesh and sitting in: OMG it's awesome. Looks huge, wide and low compared to my 997.2 C2S. The wheels are stunning.

Colour choice: black looks pretty good. You can easily differentiate the plastic bits (splitter, skirts, etc.) because they're grey so the car doesn't look like one big blob, which I was worried about. You can still see the lines of the car, perhaps very slightly less so than in lighter colours but you make up for that because black is sinister, cooler and more sophisticated. This one was plain black not Bathsalt. It had clear rear lights, which didn't look good.

Bucket seats: this is why I went there in the first place
Pros (roughly in priority order)
1. They look cooler
2. They will hold you in better when racing
3. Excellent driving position and good comfort
4. They're lighter but you wouldn't feel it

Cons
1. Fixed back rest means you can't have a snooze in the passenger seat
2. They cost more money
3. Restrict access into the back

One other benefit is that you can have the Club Sport pack for free if you've got the buckets, which looks cooler still, but renders the back space almost unusable in my opinion. There's quite a lot of cage and although the buckets go forward and bend forwards at the back, you could only get a series of small squashy bags in there through the gaps.

I then sat in the adjacent white Turbo S with the 18-ways. You can get the same driving position in these and adjust the bolstering to give you quite a lot of lateral support, easily enough for road use. Being a tall chap it was also nice to extend the bottom of the seat. The Turbo S also looks awesome, as does white. Not as cool as the GT3 but so much better than the 997 Turbo.

Do what am I going to do? I have until spec lock-down at the end of the week but I'm thinking about no buckets and no Club Sport. My car is mainly for road use and will hopefully do plenty of long-distance road trips around Europe. When doing this, I'm not always 'on it', and there's usually a co-driver meaning I want to spend some time in the passenger seat well reclined. This is probably the deal breaker for the buckets - shame. I could live with the annoyance of poor access to the back. The only meaningful benefit to me of the buckets is that they look better/feel more special.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Research in the Fatherland: I couldn't find any bucket seats to try in London so have come to Berlin where they have a black 991 Gay Tay Drei in the showroom of the PC. They also had a red one on their website but that appeared to have gone when I got there.

First impressions of seeing in the flesh and sitting in: OMG it's awesome. Looks huge, wide and low compared to my 997.2 C2S. The wheels are stunning.

Colour choice: black looks pretty good. You can easily differentiate the plastic bits (splitter, skirts, etc.) because they're grey so the car doesn't look like one big blob, which I was worried about. You can still see the lines of the car, perhaps very slightly less so than in lighter colours but you make up for that because black is sinister, cooler and more sophisticated. This one was plain black not Bathsalt. It had clear rear lights, which didn't look good.

Bucket seats: this is why I went there in the first place
Pros (roughly in priority order)
1. They look cooler
2. They will hold you in better when racing
3. Excellent driving position and good comfort
4. They're lighter but you wouldn't feel it

Cons
1. Fixed back rest means you can't have a snooze in the passenger seat
2. They cost more money
3. Restrict access into the back

One other benefit is that you can have the Club Sport pack for free if you've got the buckets, which looks cooler still, but renders the back space almost unusable in my opinion. There's quite a lot of cage and although the buckets go forward and bend forwards at the back, you could only get a series of small squashy bags in there through the gaps.

I then sat in the adjacent white Turbo S with the 18-ways. You can get the same driving position in these and adjust the bolstering to give you quite a lot of lateral support, easily enough for road use. Being a tall chap it was also nice to extend the bottom of the seat. The Turbo S also looks awesome, as does white. Not as cool as the GT3 but so much better than the 997 Turbo.

Do what am I going to do? I have until spec lock-down at the end of the week but I'm thinking about no buckets and no Club Sport. My car is mainly for road use and will hopefully do plenty of long-distance road trips around Europe. When doing this, I'm not always 'on it', and there's usually a co-driver meaning I want to spend some time in the passenger seat well reclined. This is probably the deal breaker for the buckets - shame. I could live with the annoyance of poor access to the back. The only meaningful benefit to me of the buckets is that they look better/feel more special.
Paul, I think that's a great analysis of the difference between the seats. Although disappointed by the lack of choice on the buckets here in the States, I also found that I could adjust the 18 ways into the same position as my old buckets with at least decent lateral support. Also, like you being tall (6'2"), it's amazing how much being able to extend the seat bottom for more leg support helps on long drives. Anyway, good luck with your choices and your order.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Paul, I think that's a great analysis of the difference between the seats. Although disappointed by the lack of choice on the buckets here in the States, I also found that I could adjust the 18 ways into the same position as my old buckets with at least decent lateral support. Also, like you being tall (6'2"), it's amazing how much being able to extend the seat bottom for more leg support helps on long drives. Anyway, good luck with your choices and your order.
Thanks Mike

Do you think you get more lateral support with the 18-ways than the 4-ways? One benefit of being tall with the 4-ways is that you can sit at the lowest setting, which, with the rake being inextricably connected, means bottom down and legs up, which is how you'd want it anyway.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks Mike

Do you think you get more lateral support with the 18-ways than the 4-ways? One benefit of being tall with the 4-ways is that you can sit at the lowest setting, which, with the rake being inextricably connected, means bottom down and legs up, which is how you'd want it anyway.
There's a small difference because you can tighten up the adjustable seat and back bolsters on the 18 way, but that alone wouldn't be enough to justify the expense of the 18 way seats over the 4 way, IMO. Taken along with the independent height/rake adjustment and the thigh extension, however, I thought it made them worthwhile. I agree with your point about bottom down legs up but I didn't find the lowest position of the 4 way exactly perfect for me.

Of course, we're all shaped differently. If the 4 ways had fit my needs in terms of overall adjustment, the minor improvement in lateral support probably wouldn't have tempted me to spend extra on the 18 ways.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:17 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The Turbo S also looks awesome, as does white. Not as cool as the GT3 but so much better than the 997 Turbo.

Why not get a Turbo then? For most people, the reasons for favoring the sofa seats over the buckets typically end up being the same reasons for favoring the Turbo over the GT3.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hf1
Why not get a Turbo then? For most people, the reasons for favoring the sofa seats over the buckets typically end up being the same reasons for favoring a Turbo over a GT3.
I am certain about the GT3. I consider it completely different to a Turbo. In my opinion there are better track cars than a GT3 e.g. Lotus Exige, Radical, Caterham, Atom. So if you are going for the bucket seats, why not get one of those? My answer would be that the GT3 is also a phenomenal road car, probably the best in fact. I'm going to use mine for both, hence the annoying compromise on the seats!

Loads of benefits to the GT3 over the Turbo:
- looks way better
- sounds better
- much lighter
- revs to 9,000!!!
- massively better resale value
- cheaper purchase
- guessing that it's better handling but don't know yet!

Benefits of the turbo? Faster? 2+2? That's not much is it?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There's a small difference because you can tighten up the adjustable seat and back bolsters on the 18 way, but that alone wouldn't be enough to justify the expense of the 18 way seats over the 4 way, IMO. Taken along with the independent height/rake adjustment and the thigh extension, however, I thought it made them worthwhile. I agree with your point about bottom down legs up but I didn't find the lowest position of the 4 way exactly perfect for me. Of course, we're all shaped differently. If the 4 ways had fit my needs in terms of overall adjustment, the minor improvement in lateral support probably wouldn't have tempted me to spend extra on the 18 ways.
Thanks Mike that's excellent advice.

Quick Reply: Which options???