Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 at 800 miles - observations

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Even a little creep is creapy if you don't expect it.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this might sound stupid but maybe it's the road your on. It's a little slanted downhill and you don't notice.

Try stopping on a slight uphill and see if it creeps
Old 02-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I've paid more attention to this since reading this thread and have tried shifting back and forth from D to R to see if there is any creep at all when doing that.

There is none at all if the surface is level. The only way for me to get the car moving is to feather the throttle.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 PM
new GT3
Advanced

In response to Paul above asking for more driving impressions, here's mine after 600 miles;

Car is great! First impressions are car feels very race car like, and I've driven a few race cars. Meaning it feels very tight and noisy at low speeds. No or little sound insulation means you hear every grain of sand or pebble that hits the underside and rain on the roof is louder than most street cars. The rear end feels like it contains a very tight LSD so that it's a little choppy making a 90 degree turn from a stop, again pretty race car like. Engine sound is really good, although I haven't had mine past 6k yet. If you have the exhaust open and feed in throttle around 4k there is a fantastic sounding howl, this changes to a harder edged sound as the revs go up which combined with the fast shifting very close ratio trans makes going up through the gears terrific. It makes you want to go through the gears each and every time you accelerate.
I'll take this time to comment on the manual tranmission question. I beleive the PDK to be superior in this application because the ratios are so close, only about 1k drop between gears around 5-6k, making the shifts very close together. I think that a manual would cause too many power interruptions too close together, also when on a strange road the PDK allows you to get much closer to the turn before having to make a decision wether or not to downshift. Also, as Macca has commented the normal auto range has you in too high a gear and sport puts you in too low a gear with the result being that, like him, I drive almost always in manual which I find quite satisfying, and I'm a stick shift guy.
Even at the limited revs I've been using the car's pretty quick, not a torque monster but very spirited and lively, I can only imagine what lurks beyond 6k rpm. I live in the NY Metro area so the roads here have been a mess with the weather which limits handling evaluation, however I can say the car feels very nimble with great front end grip. The more I turn the wheel in the more the car turns, even after the point where I'm expecting the onset of understeer, it just doesn't happen. I am using MPSS tires on the car and am quite happy I removed the MPSC2 tires. I don't feel there's any point to wearing out the R rated tires driving around during the Winter, I'll wear them out in the Spring on a track.
The car is reasonably comfortable for a hard edged sports car, however I would strongly advise trying it before planning everyday use if you're not a hard core car guy. If your not a hard core car guy you might be happier with a Carrera S or TT for everyday use IMO. I do not have the front end lift and have no problem, I've owned low cars before and it's not a big factor as long as you're careful. I think car feels pretty special al all speeds but it strongly encourages fast travel. My biggest complaint is that it's going to be hard to avoid tickets.
I'll add to this after some more miles or if there's any questions I'll be happy to answer. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by new GT3
In response to Paul above asking for more driving impressions, here's mine after 600 miles;

Car is great! First impressions are car feels very race car like, and I've driven a few race cars. Meaning it feels very tight and noisy at low speeds. No or little sound insulation means you hear every grain of sand or pebble that hits the underside and rain on the roof is louder than most street cars. The rear end feels like it contains a very tight LSD so that it's a little choppy making a 90 degree turn from a stop, again pretty race car like. Engine sound is really good, although I haven't had mine past 6k yet. If you have the exhaust open and feed in throttle around 4k there is a fantastic sounding howl, this changes to a harder edged sound as the revs go up which combined with the fast shifting very close ratio trans makes going up through the gears terrific. It makes you want to go through the gears each and every time you accelerate.
I'll take this time to comment on the manual tranmission question. I beleive the PDK to be superior in this application because the ratios are so close, only about 1k drop between gears around 5-6k, making the shifts very close together. I think that a manual would cause too many power interruptions too close together, also when on a strange road the PDK allows you to get much closer to the turn before having to make a decision wether or not to downshift. Also, as Macca has commented the normal auto range has you in too high a gear and sport puts you in too low a gear with the result being that, like him, I drive almost always in manual which I find quite satisfying, and I'm a stick shift guy.
Even at the limited revs I've been using the car's pretty quick, not a torque monster but very spirited and lively, I can only imagine what lurks beyond 6k rpm. I live in the NY Metro area so the roads here have been a mess with the weather which limits handling evaluation, however I can say the car feels very nimble with great front end grip. The more I turn the wheel in the more the car turns, even after the point where I'm expecting the onset of understeer, it just doesn't happen. I am using MPSS tires on the car and am quite happy I removed the MPSC2 tires. I don't feel there's any point to wearing out the R rated tires driving around during the Winter, I'll wear them out in the Spring on a track.
The car is reasonably comfortable for a hard edged sports car, however I would strongly advise trying it before planning everyday use if you're not a hard core car guy. If your not a hard core car guy you might be happier with a Carrera S or TT for everyday use IMO. I do not have the front end lift and have no problem, I've owned low cars before and it's not a big factor as long as you're careful. I think car feels pretty special al all speeds but it strongly encourages fast travel. My biggest complaint is that it's going to be hard to avoid tickets.
I'll add to this after some more miles or if there's any questions I'll be happy to answer. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the report!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great report. I agree on all your findings. 6K-9K makes everything you say even moreso.

One comment in passing. Until now having only owned, tracked and driven old skool 911s I might add the front end grip of the 991 GT3 takes a bit of getting used to if coming from the old platforms. If you are moving to this car from 991S or 997.2 Gt3 etc you may find it a progressive step however I found it quite a leap. I was turning in too early on many fast tight corners when going for a spirited drive early on. This could easily elicit over steer whereas in the older cars you wind it on early and tight so you can play a little of it out mid corner to control the rear end (sometimes may even need a bit of opposite lock if rear traction lets go fast). With this car I think the approach is better if you wind it on a little late as you have so much front end grip to meter out. The front end can al ost out grip the rear end in certain situations with this car - never an issue with the older cars. Infact early reports from Europe/UK users suggest after a few full on track days the front tyres wearing fractionally quicker than the rears (shoulder chewed out mainly). Thats a change of scene. At least the fronts are cheaper than the rears LOL!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:49 PM
new GT3
Advanced

A couple of additional comments; first I don't think I was emphatic enough, I would say it's the best car I've ever driven! Second it definitely looks the nuts. My car is Agate Gray with black headlights and platinum wheels which I feel gives the car a very weaponized look especially in flat light when you can see a slight khaki cast. My wife's comment upon first seeing it was; that's a baaad car. Also, this is my third 911 and I've owned a Ferrari in addition to three Corvettes that I had in my younger days and I've never driven a car that inspired so many people to try and race using normal cars, even mini vans! It happens all the time. I don't really think they're racing as much as trying to egg me on to see and hear the car go fast (I don't need much encouragement). Driving the car in normal traffic feels like you are a shark swimming among the fish.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

A couple of additional comments; first I don't think I was emphatic enough, I would say it's the best car I've ever driven! Second it definitely looks the nuts. My car is Agate Gray with black headlights and platinum wheels which I feel gives the car a very weaponized look especially in flat light when you can see a slight khaki cast. My wife's comment upon first seeing it was; that's a baaad car. Also, this is my third 911 and I've owned a Ferrari in addition to three Corvettes that I had in my younger days and I've never driven a car that inspired so many people to try and race using normal cars, even mini vans! It happens all the time. I don't really think they're racing as much as trying to egg me on to see and hear the car go fast (I don't need much encouragement). Driving the car in normal traffic feels like you are a shark swimming among the fish.
new GT3, I agree completely with your points in both posts. Your comments about the reactions of others to the car are especially interesting as I've experienced the same things. People taking pictures, giving thumbs up on the freeway, leaning out car windows to get a better look, and yes, driving more aggressively when they see the car. "A shark swimming among the fish"; perfect analogy, that's exactly what it feels like driving this car.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Dude-
Pro

Awesome review. If its not too much trouble, can you please post a pic or two. I've been trying to find a black pdls/ agate grey photo for weeks and it seems you're the first to have it.

In regards to people egging you on, I originally thought the GT3 was only known to hardcore track rats but apparently this GT3 was featured in the newest video game (Need for Speed rivals). All the kids and young adults know it too.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Dude-; 02-07-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 AM
new GT3
Advanced

Thanks jfr0317, Macca, Mike, and Dude. I'll be happy to post a couple of pics if you tell me how. Also, if you can tell me how to highlight a post in gray to respond to I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Dude-
Pro

when you post a reply there is a "go advance" button next to your "post quick reply" button. Click on it and it should have a manage image section.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:28 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks jfr0317, Macca, Mike, and Dude. I'll be happy to post a couple of pics if you tell me how. Also, if you can tell me how to highlight a post in gray to respond to I would greatly appreciate it.
Just click on the double " marks in the lower right corner of the post you want to respond to; that gets you the "post in gray" box.

You can respond to several posts at once by clicking on the little icon that looks like a document with a single " mark in each post you want to respond to, then click the double " mark and you will get each post in a gray boxes. You can then insert your replies.

I'm not sure, but I think you need to be a member to post pictures. Could be wrong about that. If I am, one of us can tell you how to do it.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:42 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

In response to Paul above asking for more driving impressions, here's mine after 600 miles; Car is great! First impressions are car feels very race car like, and I've driven a few race cars. Meaning it feels very tight and noisy at low speeds. No or little sound insulation means you hear every grain of sand or pebble that hits the underside and rain on the roof is louder than most street cars. The rear end feels like it contains a very tight LSD so that it's a little choppy making a 90 degree turn from a stop, again pretty race car like. Engine sound is really good, although I haven't had mine past 6k yet. If you have the exhaust open and feed in throttle around 4k there is a fantastic sounding howl, this changes to a harder edged sound as the revs go up which combined with the fast shifting very close ratio trans makes going up through the gears terrific. It makes you want to go through the gears each and every time you accelerate. I'll take this time to comment on the manual tranmission question. I beleive the PDK to be superior in this application because the ratios are so close, only about 1k drop between gears around 5-6k, making the shifts very close together. I think that a manual would cause too many power interruptions too close together, also when on a strange road the PDK allows you to get much closer to the turn before having to make a decision wether or not to downshift. Also, as Macca has commented the normal auto range has you in too high a gear and sport puts you in too low a gear with the result being that, like him, I drive almost always in manual which I find quite satisfying, and I'm a stick shift guy. Even at the limited revs I've been using the car's pretty quick, not a torque monster but very spirited and lively, I can only imagine what lurks beyond 6k rpm. I live in the NY Metro area so the roads here have been a mess with the weather which limits handling evaluation, however I can say the car feels very nimble with great front end grip. The more I turn the wheel in the more the car turns, even after the point where I'm expecting the onset of understeer, it just doesn't happen. I am using MPSS tires on the car and am quite happy I removed the MPSC2 tires. I don't feel there's any point to wearing out the R rated tires driving around during the Winter, I'll wear them out in the Spring on a track. The car is reasonably comfortable for a hard edged sports car, however I would strongly advise trying it before planning everyday use if you're not a hard core car guy. If your not a hard core car guy you might be happier with a Carrera S or TT for everyday use IMO. I do not have the front end lift and have no problem, I've owned low cars before and it's not a big factor as long as you're careful. I think car feels pretty special al all speeds but it strongly encourages fast travel. My biggest complaint is that it's going to be hard to avoid tickets. I'll add to this after some more miles or if there's any questions I'll be happy to answer. Hope this helps.
Best review ever! Also of course exactly what I wanted to hear . But you have really captured the feeling of the car better than any of the pro reviews have. Love the shark comment too. Now my excitement levels have gone up still further!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:44 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Just click on the double " marks in the lower right corner of the post you want to respond to; that gets you the "post in gray" box. You can respond to several posts at once by clicking on the little icon that looks like a document with a single " mark in each post you want to respond to, then click the double " mark and you will get each post in a gray boxes. You can then insert your replies. I'm not sure, but I think you need to be a member to post pictures. Could be wrong about that. If I am, one of us can tell you how to do it.
I have attached photos as a non-member. This is on my tablet app. You go to the advanced menu when you're posting.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
I have attached photos as a non-member. This is on my tablet app. You go to the advanced menu when you're posting.
I wasn't sure if Users had access to the advanced menu. Thanks for clarifying.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 at 800 miles - observations