Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Love the sound ... love the plate!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 86 Posts

The sound is terrific. Does installing the by-pass raise issues with Porsche regarding warranty?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
The sound is terrific. Does installing the by-pass raise issues with Porsche regarding warranty?
Doubtful. PAG has generally been open to mods; shoot I even had my dealer bolt a bunch of cup car parts to my 997 within weeks of taking delivery.

As I understand it, the bypass pipe is purely for sound; its not like you are bolting a hairdryer to your intake and turning the boost to 11.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:28 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I consulted my dealer before installing the Sharkwerks on my 997.2 and he said no warranty problem. Traded that car for my coming GT3 and have the bypass in the garage if anyone wants it.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JFA65
I consulted my dealer before installing the Sharkwerks on my 997.2 and he said no warranty problem. Traded that car for my coming GT3 and have the bypass in the garage if anyone wants it.
Sharkwerks may be able to modify it for your new car so you can use it again.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:11 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JFA65
Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Sharkwerks may be able to modify it for your new car so you can use it again.
From Dan at Sharkwerks (re: the GT3 bypass): If the serial number is 580 or higher, it will be easy to modifiy to fit the 991.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:36 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Doubtful. PAG has generally been open to mods; shoot I even had my dealer bolt a bunch of cup car parts to my 997 within weeks of taking delivery.

As I understand it, the bypass pipe is purely for sound; its not like you are bolting a hairdryer to your intake and turning the boost to 11.
Guys, be aware, Porsche did change their stance on exhausts... They used the excuse that they altered back pressure and affected how the car was designed to work in terms of vacuum pressures, thereafter denying warranty on RMS etc on 997 cars... If a warranty claim was needed to be done most guys removed their aftermarket exhausts as this was grounds for instant refusal of warranty by regional reps inspecting cars for warranty issues...

See page 3....
http://members.rennlist.org/jandreas...ing%20Ring.pdf
Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks 911rox. I was thinking of getting a bypass pipe but now no way. Stock for me.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Guys, be aware, Porsche did change their stance on exhausts... They used the excuse that they altered back pressure and affected how the car was designed to work in terms of vacuum pressures, thereafter denying warranty on RMS etc on 997 cars... If a warranty claim was needed to be done most guys removed their aftermarket exhausts as this was grounds for instant refusal of warranty by regional reps inspecting cars for warranty issues...

See page 3....
It is what I was afraid of. Legally it could be argued and has been accepted by US courts that unless there was a casual connection between the warranty repair and the outside modification Porsche could not disclaim the warranty.

That said, who wants to take their car in for warranty repair and fight with Porsche for servicing. As much as I love the sound of the by pass, it just is not worth fighting Porsche.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

See page 3....
I remember back in the day when we were all taking our cars in for the RMS leak and they would also install the LWF along with it... Then they would blame the pulley In a nutshell I don't think it's really much more than they know the RMS' leak on these cars and they simply do not want/need to address it by paying dealerships 12-15 hours labor to replace a weeping seal since there's no adverse effect other than a few drops of oil. In terms of the exhaust Porsche dealerships all around the world have bought/sold and installed the bypass. They don't deny usual warranty claims as a result of it - they just don't change the RMS out anymore period Unless there's a big leak. Also bear in mind that this TSB has been superceeded many times over with different seals and such... It also only applied to the old GT1 block and NOT this engine at all. The 9a1 based stuff hasn't had anything like that in terms of RMS problems.

I guess if it's something anyone is ever worried about it uninstalls in like 20minutes on the 991 but you could also have your dealership install it.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nick
Hi Nick as it doesn't change the emissions equipment (aka we're not changing headers/cats) it's just a muffler replacement there shouldn't be a) problems as a result or b) any difference between the current relationships we/other RL'ers have with dealerships who install/buy it.
Originally Posted by ChrisF
More clips; more clips!
Coming!
Originally Posted by CAlexio
That is epic... Im Sure i could search more about this but what exactly is being bypassed? That is a really fantastic super car sound!
Center
Originally Posted by Leilani Rios
That's one of the first things I will do to the GT3. I don't think Porsches are loud enough. I put a sporty exhaust system on the 997 turbo from GMG and it sounds amazing. I will def look into Sharkworks. The other would be black satin wheels and black PDLS for my white car.
Thanks and we'll have more coming soon
Originally Posted by Zero911
Going to be a while before I get my car... but this thing is definitely going on it when I do
Hehe thanks mate!
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
wow that sound!
There will be more

Originally Posted by lumber
You should hear the downshifts...

It snowed 6" here today. I'll make a better video as soon as they plow the roads.

The short video doesn't do it justice...
Thanks again for being an early adopter and hardcore GT3'er:P

Originally Posted by FLM911
Attachment 793955

Arrived from Alex on Thursday but just haven't been able to install it yet.... Can't wait to try...
And same to you! Really appreciate you being one of our early adopters:P

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Is this for the 991? I understood from him the new kit won't be out until February, mid month or so.
Hi Sam, roger that we're in production now and should be ready around then or hopefully sooner

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
That's great. Excited to see more and more products being released.
Aye we couldn't leave it alone

Originally Posted by 0Q991
That sound..............

I need to be alone for a while.
LOL!
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
I remember back in the day when we were all taking our cars in for the RMS leak and they would also install the LWF along with it... Then they would blame the pulley In a nutshell I don't think it's really much more than they know the RMS' leak on these cars and they simply do not want/need to address it by paying dealerships 12-15 hours labor to replace a weeping seal since there's no adverse effect other than a few drops of oil. In terms of the exhaust Porsche dealerships all around the world have bought/sold and installed the bypass. They don't deny usual warranty claims as a result of it - they just don't change the RMS out anymore period Unless there's a big leak. Also bear in mind that this TSB has been superceeded many times over with different seals and such... It also only applied to the old GT1 block and NOT this engine at all. The 9a1 based stuff hasn't had anything like that in terms of RMS problems.

I guess if it's something anyone is ever worried about it uninstalls in like 20minutes on the 991 but you could also have your dealership install it- Solution .
Alex,

Let me be clear, I do not buy into their bogus BS excuses regarding the leaky seals for 1 second. I'm very confident that the problem on the GT1 motors exists through their poor design and not an aftermarket exhaust system. I'm just simply pointing out, like you've stated that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel with excuses to avoid paying so guys doing aftermarket mods should be prepared to return to stock before presenting for warranty work, even if their dealer says its all cool!

Only reason I haven't got a Sharkwerks pipe on my car is because the sound ***** (EPA) here would have it off the road, un-roadworthy within days
Old 01-07-2014, 01:28 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Alex,

Let me be clear, I do not buy into their bogus BS excuses regarding the leaky seals for 1 second. I'm very confident that the problem on the GT1 motors exists through their poor design and not an aftermarket exhaust system. I'm just simply pointing out, like you've stated that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel with excuses to avoid paying so guys doing aftermarket mods should be prepared to return to stock before presenting for warranty work, even if their dealer says its all cool!

Only reason I haven't got a Sharkwerks pipe on my car is because the sound ***** (EPA) here would have it off the road, un-roadworthy within days
Roger that I hear you It's usually at the SA's discretion so by all means I encourage anyone to work _with_ their dealer vs against. But having said that the exhaust bolts-on or off in 30mins on a 991 GT3 so
Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See page 3....
Funny my local dealer fitted the sharkwerks bypass on my old 997 GT3 no problem. No issues when attention was needed for a faulty ignition coil HT lead a year later either (unrelated to the bypass of course).

Quick Reply: Sharkwerks bypass installed...oh my