991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye Bye 991 TTS, welcome GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014 | 07:37 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Very nice looking car! Hope to see it sometime at MSR, ECR, etc. Being a Vette guy and currently owning a C6 ZR1 that I track frequently, I've only been considering the C7 Z06 or ZR1 as a replacement. But honestly, I really think I'm going to have to seriously consider a 991 GT3 or GT3 RS before making a final decision. It's the only other car that interests me besides the Z grade Vettes.

Again, beautiful car and I hope I can hear that 9k wail sometime at the track.
Old 01-02-2014 | 07:52 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

The red GT3 script on the engine lid is looks good. Was this an option or did you have it done aftermarket?
Old 01-02-2014 | 10:08 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by todo
Sam,
I test drove the 991TTS and did not like the drive .... I am on list for a GT3.
Very curious to know your impression on TTS versus GT3 Torque on straight line.
Mine will be a DD with almost no tracking - coming from a 997 AWE Tuned 750HP Turbo I am wondering if you miss the straight line torque of the 991TTS when you drive the GT3 on normal roads.
Thanks in advance.
Huuuuge difference in low level torque, with the TTS winning by a huge margin. I drove the TTS in auto most of the time and for the mere 300 miles that I put on the GT3, auto won't do it and am driving in manual, constantly downshifting (very fun). The exhaust on the GT3 wins hands down. If you are mainly going to DD, the rear wing in the rearview mirror will get annoying fast, as it is smack in the middle of your rear view. If I am to daily drive only, I personally would pick the GT3 but they are both incredible cars, so it depends on what you prefer.
Old 01-02-2014 | 10:13 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nick
The red GT3 script on the engine lid is looks good. Was this an option or did you have it done aftermarket?
When I ordered the car, I bought the GT3 script for the 997 and painted it red. My intention was to remove all the lettering on the back and only put GT3 in red. When I got the car, I liked the black PORSCHE script so I decided to keep it. This led to the GT3 being a bit larger than PORSCHE. SonI ordered the 991 GT3 emblems today and will get it painted red then slap them on. I think it will look neater.

PS: I paint my own. One coat of primer, then two coats of paint, then two coats of clear. All from spray cans from the Home Depot.
Old 01-03-2014 | 01:31 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Might have to move the GT3 sign again with the larger PORSCHE ? The larger GT3 looks so much better.Might look too busy with the larger PORSCHE. I would try the GT3 alone and then see if PORSCHE is really needed there. can you provide the color details from HD?brand, etc.
Old 01-03-2014 | 08:08 AM
MacAna
Racer

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Better pic. Anyone knows what this cover hides?

Edit: I think this maybe the rear seatbelt anchoring points.
Sorry, am I misunderstanding? I thought the GT3 didn't have rear seats? That is the primary reason why I didn't buy one. (Well, and the budget, but at least I can work towards resolving that part of the problem).

I need rear seats to get the minister of finance's approval (wife).

Last edited by MacAna; 01-03-2014 at 08:14 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-03-2014 | 08:18 AM
zedosix
Instructor

Rear seats are not an option on the GT3
Old 01-03-2014 | 10:19 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by MacAna
Sorry, am I misunderstanding? I thought the GT3 didn't have rear seats? That is the primary reason why I didn't buy one. (Well, and the budget, but at least I can work towards resolving that part of the problem).

I need rear seats to get the minister of finance's approval (wife).
No rear seats. I have no clue what this cover hides. Will ask when at the dealer.
Old 01-03-2014 | 12:32 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Congrats on the new wheels Sam. You just might be the first owner that can give us accurate relative laptimes of the TTS vs GT3 on the same track and Non-Pro driver's impression of handling differences between the 2 cars. The different tires will undoubtedly be a factor, but I'll be paying rapt attention to your comments and will greatly appreciate the coming feedback.
Old 01-03-2014 | 01:28 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
You just might be the first owner that can give us accurate relative laptimes of the TTS vs GT3 on the same track and Non-Pro driver's impression of handling differences between the 2 cars.

I'll be paying rapt attention to your comments and will greatly appreciate the coming feedback.
+1
Old 01-03-2014 | 02:10 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Congrats on the new wheels Sam. You just might be the first owner that can give us accurate relative laptimes of the TTS vs GT3 on the same track and Non-Pro driver's impression of handling differences between the 2 cars. The different tires will undoubtedly be a factor, but I'll be paying rapt attention to your comments and will greatly appreciate the coming feedback.
Originally Posted by Drifting
+1
Im 90% certain I'll go this weekend. Will do 1 30 minute session at a slow build up to 60-80 %, to learn the car and figure out what tire pressure to run. Will do a second and last session for that day at my 100% and report back.

While on the subject, I have a tire pressure question. I never ran R tires before. For my Pirelli P Zero or Michelin PSS on the C4S and TTS, the best hot pressure for me was 33 front and 37 rear. I know that R tires run at lower oressures. What hot pressures have people used on 997 GT3s with R tires before? I am guessing 30 F and 32 R????

Last edited by SamFromTX; 01-03-2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2014 | 02:25 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Can't wait to hear how your track session goes!
Old 01-03-2014 | 02:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Better pic. Anyone knows what this cover hides?

Edit: I think this maybe the rear seatbelt anchoring points.
I wonder if it's a mounting point for the OEM rear 1/2 cage... wishful thinking on my part? congrats on the car!
Old 01-03-2014 | 03:24 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Hi Sam,

This was the direct response I received from Pirelli IRT my R-Comp Trofeos running on my Turbo S. If I let the pressures build to around 33+ PSI they started to get slippery. I know this is a totally different tire however maybe this will at least give you a data-point.

Walt-In Tokyo

"The Trofeo R as a DE / Track tire has the construction llike a slick and works at hot pressures like a slick.
2 bar hot ( around 30 psi ) is what Pirelli is looking to see on this tire. To achieve this hot pressure the customer
Should set the tires cold to 1.6 bar and then go out for 2 or 3 laps to get the tires warmed up being very careful on
The frist out lap no to go off the circuit or hit any big curbs as the tire has not come up in temp / pressure.
Then go back to pit lane an check the hot psi’s. and adjust them accordingly.

Now if by chance you are running the tires on a road course / oval with some periods of running the car on a
Banked surface ( Daytona, Fontana, Kansas Speedway, etc. etc. ) then you will need to run higher hot pressures
To due the loading of the tires in the banking.

After you DE / track session is finished for the day don’t forget to inflate you tires back to the street pressures before
You leave the racetrack."
Old 01-03-2014 | 03:39 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by WaltB
Hi Sam,

This was the direct response I received from Pirelli IRT my R-Comp Trofeos running on my Turbo S. If I let the pressures build to around 33+ PSI they started to get slippery. I know this is a totally different tire however maybe this will at least give you a data-point.

Walt-In Tokyo

"The Trofeo R as a DE / Track tire has the construction llike a slick and works at hot pressures like a slick.
2 bar hot ( around 30 psi ) is what Pirelli is looking to see on this tire. To achieve this hot pressure the customer
Should set the tires cold to 1.6 bar and then go out for 2 or 3 laps to get the tires warmed up being very careful on
The frist out lap no to go off the circuit or hit any big curbs as the tire has not come up in temp / pressure.
Then go back to pit lane an check the hot psi’s. and adjust them accordingly.

Now if by chance you are running the tires on a road course / oval with some periods of running the car on a
Banked surface ( Daytona, Fontana, Kansas Speedway, etc. etc. ) then you will need to run higher hot pressures
To due the loading of the tires in the banking.

After you DE / track session is finished for the day don’t forget to inflate you tires back to the street pressures before
You leave the racetrack."
Perfect, thanks. I'll shoot for around 30-32 and see. Enjoy Tokyo and see you next week!

Quick Reply: Bye Bye 991 TTS, welcome GT3