Sponsored by:

Bye Bye 991 TTS, welcome GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

So what are your impressions of the electric steering?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:34 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking 991 GT3. Enjoy.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:56 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice.

Didn't think red CF would look good but it does. I'd not get that in a guards GT3 but it looks hot on white with all the red stitching.

Surprised they didn't sell it to someone else. Perhaps b/c it was your spec they brought it in knowing you'd probably jump on it and gave you a gentleman's right of first refusal?

I'm not in the turbo market and really not interested at all, but your comparo is pretty telling.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not surprised you switched to a GT3. Anyone who tracks their car a lot would undoubtedly prefer a GT3. I see the TTS as a super fast DD......an alternative to an Aston Martin. If was a little younger and thinner I probably would have gone the GT3 route. I just wanted more comfort and I don't track my cars anymore. I would bet that your track reports will be absolutely glowing. I wonder if you might miss the PCCB's like on the TTS.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:17 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Interesting.. Looks Good. Did you have Porsche Exclusive do the red-carbon, or have it done here in the US.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:34 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the nice comments. I will try to answer all the questions, memory allowing.
They know me pretty well at the dealership and I have a feeling they kept the car as spec'd knowing I'm a sucker for nice cars, plus I suspect the specs were agreeable to many potential buyers as well.

Going from Pagid R29 pads on the C4S to the PCCBs made little noticeable difference as the Pagids bite hard. Going from PCCBs back to OEM steel brakes/pads is a big noticeable difference that I had to re-adapt to. Shouldn't be much of an issue for long because I will either put Pagids or PFC very soon. I intentionally ordered steel brakes because I track frequently.

The red kevlar/cf is after market, made by www.ocarbon.com Matt is the owner. I am sending him the clock cover and door handle inserts to cover as well.

I didn't get full leather and actually think I should have covered the seat backs in leather as they look kinda weird as is. I got the extended dash in leather. I also got the dash trim in leather, knowing I was going to replace it with CF/kevlar. I wasn't sure I could get the aluminum strips in the door done with CF and didn't want to leave it as it would have clashed.

I had electric assisted steering in the C4S and the TTS. For street driving, the 3's feels good but I can't tell much difference compared to the Carreras' yet. From the reviews I read, I suspect I may feel a difference on the track. I always thought the Carrera's steering was acceptable and not as numb as many reviewers noted.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

Car looks great. My wife and I were actually at Porsche of Plano today hoping to see what turns out to be your car. I put a deposit down on one last summer and I've been waiting to see one in person. Jeremy is who I've been working with and he told me they had two cars coming in yesterday. By the time we made it up to the dealership both were gone. Salesman said one of the cars had red carbon put in. Sorry I missed it. Would have love to see it in person. Pictures look awesome. I like the GT3 logo in red on the back as well.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:49 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Warren99
Car looks great. My wife and I were actually at Porsche of Plano today hoping to see what turns out to be your car. I put a deposit down on one last summer and I've been waiting to see one in person. Jeremy is who I've been working with and he told me they had two cars coming in yesterday. By the time we made it up to the dealership both were gone. Salesman said one of the cars had red carbon put in. Sorry I missed it. Would have love to see it in person. Pictures look awesome. I like the GT3 logo in red on the back as well.
Sending PM
Old 01-01-2014, 08:50 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Excellent. Thx. I saw the website. I might hook up with Matt. I imagine he can send a heads up on how to take out the individual components. I'd hate to just take a screw driver to it. (Or maybe a dealer can help). I went to the web site and the prices look competitive with the P Configurator.. LOL.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:55 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Excellent. Thx. I saw the website. I might hook up with Matt. I imagine he can send a heads up on how to take out the individual components. I'd hate to just take a screw driver to it. (Or maybe a dealer can help). I went to the web site and the prices look competitive with the P Configurator.. LOL.
He doesn't know how to remove the trim (I asked him before). I found directions for most of the pieces at MAcarbon.com I couldn't remove the center console trim and took it to the dealer today. Luckily, they had one service person there. It wasn't easy but the rest is a piece of cake and definitely not a screwdriver. You'll need a pry tool. I got mine from Home Depot.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

More pics more pics!!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:04 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by mtuttle
A big congrats ! I hope you didn't get hurt too bad on the turbo. I had a 2011 & 2012 997 turbo s and lost about $23k on each with about 3500 miles on each. I agree with your synthetic description. Huge power!

The pdk-s "no creep" clutch feel is great. I love this car!! I'm looking forward to tracking mine someday soon. It's gonna be a long winter.

More driving impressions!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

WOW! That's what I call living!
Congrats!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the comparison between OEM steels and PCCB. Can you elaborate more on what the very noticeable differences are?

Congrats on the GT3. Looks great
Old 01-01-2014, 09:29 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sam,

Your car looks awesome, that red carbon really stands out.

Maybe you can answer the question I posed in another thread. Does your car have the mounting points for the Club Sport roll cage (most importantly the back section)?

Thanks,
Ryan

Quick Reply: Bye Bye 991 TTS, welcome GT3