Sponsored by:

GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:53 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I made the move today to skip the RS and go right to the 960. Put my deposit down today so Ill have #1 or 2 in my area. I figure the GT3 will keep me occupied until then (960 gets shown at Detroit in 2015 and rolls out later that year).
How does this cruiser compare to a GT3RS ?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:39 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Once you've had RS you can't go back. I'm on the list, and hoping for drop outs.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

mememe
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

How does this cruiser compare to a GT3RS
The speculation is that the 960 will be a lightweight 918 - no hybrid system. A direct competitor to the Ferrari 458.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by montoya
Same
#2 on the list @ my PC. No deposits in Germany.
GT3 is on order also. So if I do not get an RS I keep GT3.
Otherwise need to think about it (also price is a concern ...)

Peter
Old 12-31-2013, 10:05 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UAE dealers won't take deposits but Abu Dhabi will look after me.....
Old 12-31-2013, 04:15 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

So a buddy of mine took a ride today in a GT3 while being prepped for delivery , he drives a stripped down, track preped RSII "Moton's Lexan, CF doors, hood etc" .......he said WOW
My deposit is in for the RS......
Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 PM
plasticsdoc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a confirmation letter from dealer giving me the first gt3 rs they receive. I think it is most likely that i have purchased many from them in the past. Also, they sold my 4.0 for me #362. Sorry to have let that one go, hopefully the new one comes close. No deposit required.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

^ very cool your dealer taking care of you.
most of use are multiple p car buyers from local dealers but some dont honor what they say.......
now i shop mercilessly and trust no one.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:18 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I made the move today to skip the RS and go right to the 960. Put my deposit down today so Ill have #1 or 2 in my area. I figure the GT3 will keep me occupied until then (960 gets shown at Detroit in 2015 and rolls out later that year).
I have the same thought. I want to play with the GT3 right now, and that will be fun several years, until the 960.

If the 960 does end up being a turbo-charged 8 (as it looks right now), then I'm not buying it and will instead buy the replacement for the Ferrari 458 Italia. I hear the 458 replacement will still be NA, although the California replacement will be a turbo.

If the 960 ends up being a naturally aspirated 8, then I will definitely buy it assuming it's priced in the ballpark of the 458 replacement or less.

Porsche already has a great 8 cylinder naturally aspirated engine in the 918 that make 608hp. Just put that in the 960 and you're halfway to a great car. I'd buy it in a second. I'm not that excited about a mid-engined Porsche turbo. That won't fight off any ferrari buyers, which is the whole point of the 960.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I have the same thought. I want to play with the GT3 right now, and that will be fun several years, until the 960.

If the 960 does end up being a turbo-charged 8 (as it looks right now), then I'm not buying it and will instead buy the replacement for the Ferrari 458 Italia. I hear the 458 replacement will still be NA, although the California replacement will be a turbo.

If the 960 ends up being a naturally aspirated 8, then I will definitely buy it assuming it's priced in the ballpark of the 458 replacement or less.

Porsche already has a great 8 cylinder naturally aspirated engine in the 918 that make 608hp. Just put that in the 960 and you're halfway to a great car. I'd buy it in a second. I'm not that excited about a mid-engined Porsche turbo. That won't fight off any ferrari buyers, which is the whole point of the 960.
Would you not drive a Ferrari F-40? You know because of those snails they had attached to the engine? I'm sorry I just had to point out how ludicrous some of the current anti-turbo sediment is. Turbo'd engines can produce huge power and yes they can even produce it smoothly. If Turbo's are so bad, then why are they used in so many forms of auto-racing? With today's technology, high-revving engines with instant throttle response is possible. And as the F-40 proved many years ago, it is very possible to have a turbo'd engine that still produces a symphony of noises that come out of the rear of the car. Sorry, but the Turbo hate as of late has me irked lol Porsche's Turbo has become a grand tourer, but by no means is it because of the engine that sits in the confines of the engine bay.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Would you not drive a Ferrari F-40? You know because of those snails they had attached to the engine? I'm sorry I just had to point out how ludicrous some of the current anti-turbo sediment is. Turbo'd engines can produce huge power and yes they can even produce it smoothly. If Turbo's are so bad, then why are they used in so many forms of auto-racing? With today's technology, high-revving engines with instant throttle response is possible. And as the F-40 proved many years ago, it is very possible to have a turbo'd engine that still produces a symphony of noises that come out of the rear of the car. Sorry, but the Turbo hate as of late has me irked lol Porsche's Turbo has become a grand tourer, but by no means is it because of the engine that sits in the confines of the engine bay.
Sorry but there are two reasons that most true automotive enthusiasts prefer naturally aspirated cars, and that is engine sound and turbo lag.

You may call the sound a F-40 a symphony, I'll take the sound of a 458 or F12 anyday over the F-40, and the sound of a GT3 anyday over a 911 turbo.

Turbo lag is less today than it was in the early days of turbo engines, but it is still quite noticeable to the precision driver. Maybe you just do milk runs?????

Even, outside of the track, there is no turbo car, not even modern performance cars where turbo lag is not noticeable compared to the immediate and linear power delivery of a naturally aspirated performance car. If driving leisurely on a freeway and you need to shoot the gap or be stuck behind twenty slow cars, that one second of turbo lag may cause you to miss your chance.

If driving on a regular road and you suddenly need to “punch it” to avoid an accident, that one second of turbo lag may very well cause an accident.

I will agree that performance cars with turbo engines can performs well on the track, but why is that? Because their turbos are constantly spooled up on a track.

Otherwise, turbo lag will be present and annoying in every turbo car, and that delay in power delivery takes away from the enjoyment of motoring and makes turbo cars less safe to drive.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

^what you say Mooty!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
How does this cruiser compare to a GT3RS ?
Ive got the cup car for any real fun Ill have...at 2550 lbs and 457 crank hp...so Ill take a "relative" cruiser for the road...especially if it gets any bit of that 918s V8...
Old 12-31-2013, 08:13 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Sorry but there are two reasons that most true automotive enthusiasts prefer naturally aspirated cars, and that is engine sound and turbo lag.

You may call the sound a F-40 a symphony, I'll take the sound of a 458 or F12 anyday over the F-40, and the sound of a GT3 anyday over a 911 turbo.

Turbo lag is less today than it was in the early days of turbo engines, but it is still quite noticeable to the precision driver. Maybe you just do milk runs?????

Even, outside of the track, there is no turbo car, not even modern performance cars where turbo lag is not noticeable compared to the immediate and linear power delivery of a naturally aspirated performance car. If driving leisurely on a freeway and you need to shoot the gap or be stuck behind twenty slow cars, that one second of turbo lag may cause you to miss your chance.

If driving on a regular road and you suddenly need to “punch it” to avoid an accident, that one second of turbo lag may very well cause an accident.

I will agree that performance cars with turbo engines can performs well on the track, but why is that? Because their turbos are constantly spooled up on a track.

Otherwise, turbo lag will be present and annoying in every turbo car, and that delay in power delivery takes away from the enjoyment of motoring and makes turbo cars less safe to drive.
That post is so misinformed on so many levels I don't know where to start.

Quick Reply: GT3RS