Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

real life color pics (to help with selection process)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,316 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Orange anyone?
I kind of like it....
Nice! Orange is loud, but friendly and whimsical, with an earnest interest in speed.

Red is loud too, but too much in a 'look at me, I'm trying hard' way for a Porsche. But perfect for Ferrari.

Yellow is the loudest color of all, screams look at me, broadcasts intention of speed even more than orange. Go slow in this color and you'll look silly.

Black is menacing. Metallic black is menacing with a touch of regal.

White is humble, but it brings out the contours and details of the car, making the car quietly sizzle.

Dark blue is serious, but with personality.

Silver is very German. A serious machine lurks here. Beware.

Metallic gray is very German too, but a little friendlier and more distinguished than silver. Kind of like silver but with some gray hair.

That medium metallic blue makes me very ambivalent. Delightful throwback to a past era, but doesn't quite look right on a modern Porsche.

All just subjective impressions and opinions of course, don't be offended!

Last edited by Manifold; 12-09-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

According to Porsche, white, red, and silver are the three most popular colors for 911's. Guards red has been offered for decades. Sad to think of all those owners of red cars trying too hard for so many years. They should have chosen yellow or orange.

I did enjoy your analysis though, Manifold. No offense taken.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Are you guys not the politest bunch of nutters I've ever met?? Forum member #1: "uhm, pardon me if I leave this opinion right here, but I promise to delete it if it makes anyone feel pain emotionally" Forum member #2: "oh dear, I almost had a little burp of pain at your exclamation, but I realize now it was in response to my previous overtly bold statement.. " Forum member #3; "I think I'll write a haiku about the color "mauve".. But only if that doesn't offend all those who just blew $5500 on PTS mauve.. I promise it will be exceedingly flattering" Forum member #1: "how dare you write a haiku when you know that ambic pentameter is my only acceptable form of complimentary obsequious prose"... Etc etc etc. Get a grip people!!!!!!!!! No way we became successful in business or life by treading this lightly.. Sheesh!!! Here you go: Red: for dudes with small dick syndrome.
Black: drug dealer car
Yellow: **** you
Orange: **** you harder, and I don't give a **** White: undecided pantsies
Light blue: too ugly to contemplate
Silver; grandpa car
Any other color: better than yours whatever it is. Ok.. Hopefully I've reset the tone for the rest of the thread. Daaaaamn ladies!!!

Edit: the forum automatically removed all my f-bombs and replaced them with cute little polite twinkle twinkle little stars.. In starting to see a pattern here... Sheesh!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 356 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nick, you're going to get me in trouble!
Don't worry Mike,we're all a big family here!

Do tell!

I think it's interesting to hear a different perspective.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,316 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Are you guys not the politest bunch of nutters I've ever met?? Forum member #1: "uhm, pardon me if I leave this opinion right here, but I promise to delete it if it makes anyone feel pain emotionally" Forum member #2: "oh dear, I almost had a little burp of pain at your exclamation, but I realize now it was in response to my previous overtly bold statement.. " Forum member #3; "I think I'll write a haiku about the color "mauve".. But only if that doesn't offend all those who just blew $5500 on PTS mauve.. I promise it will be exceedingly flattering" Forum member #1: "how dare you write a haiku when you know that ambic pentameter is my only acceptable form of complimentary obsequious prose"... Etc etc etc. Get a grip people!!!!!!!!! No way we became successful in business or life by treading this lightly.. Sheesh!!! Here you go: Red: for dudes with small dick syndrome.
Silver; grandpa car
Any other color: better than yours whatever it is. Ok.. Hopefully I've reset the tone for the rest of the thread. Daaaaamn ladies!!!

Edit: the forum automatically removed all my f-bombs and replaced them with cute little polite twinkle twinkle little stars.. In starting to see a pattern here... Sheesh!!!
F'in funny ****!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Silver; grandpa car

Well, someone has to counter-balance the insulting a$$holes. Happy now?

(Not that you're an a$$hole, of course, Alex, wouldn't want to hurt your feelings, especially since I met you in person and all, I mean really, just kidding....)
Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 PM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Orange anyone?
I kind of like it....
Badass. My first choice in a vinyl wrap after I get tired of Guards Red.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Obviously I don't have personal experience with an Orange GT3, but I do with this car:

Officer...where do I sign?

Old 12-09-2013, 08:38 PM
frayed
Race Car

LOL@manifold and calexio.

Though I have to admit that it'll be nice when all you bastids get your cars so these threads fade away and we all focus on evasive maneuvers from the cops, how to preserve your Rcomps on track days, alignments, heim joints, and how to keep up with GTRs on track.

EDIT: all colors are great as long as they are Red, Orange, Yellow, or a a Mexico Blue variant. In other words, skittles. All others are for pussies.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
LOL@manifold and calexio.

Though I have to admit that it'll be nice when all you bastids get your cars so these threads fade away and we all focus on evasive maneuvers from the cops, how to preserve your Rcomps on track days, alignments, heim joints, and how to keep up with GTRs on track.

EDIT: all colors are great as long as they are Red, Orange, Yellow, or a a Mexico Blue variant. In other words, skittles. All others are for pussies.
Didn't you say you liked Black earlier?

Originally Posted by frayed
Black* to me looks awesome and is still one of my favorite colors.

*When clean.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 PM
frayed
Race Car

Yeah. Love black. But skittles for GT3. Black for 991S.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts
Default Dark Blue: the anti-skittles

for classy dudes who don't look like Nick Nolte... I give you... Dark Metallic Blue (again)

Old 12-09-2013, 10:39 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:53 PM
frayed
Race Car

LOL.

I actually don't look like Nick.

But OK, dark blue is very stylish. If you must go blue, gulf or mexico is more appropriate.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Agree with frayed. Dark blue is stylish but a winged sports car isn't making a style statement; the jelly bean blues are more appropriate for a GT3. I'm not crazy about the dark blue/yellow caliper combo.

Quick Reply: real life color pics (to help with selection process)