Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What % if your PNW would a $150K GT3 purchase represent?
<5%
56.83%
5-10%
22.30%
10-15%
6.47%
15-20%
6.47%
20%+
7.91%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

What % of Net Wealth would a 991 GT3 purchase represent?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 02:34 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
We call them "21st's" down-under. Traditionally you have to drink a "yard of ale" from a yard long glass beaker especially designed for the purpose. It sold between 2.5 & 3 pints - about 5 cans. The world record is 5 seconds. Most people take 3-5 minutes.
Yummy!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:05 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by mtuttle
I am encouraged with the economy also. But I think the Gt3 would sell all allocations now or 3 years ago when the economic picture was more gloomy. Not sure your poll is an accurate gage of the economy.
Dude, a sum total of 7 posts on the forum, and all of them protesting the purpose of this thread. Now THAT's funny. Why do you even care?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha! true.

-------------

I bought my first GT3 (996) with borrowed money and as a notable % of my PNW. It was a stressful purchase cause I felt like I stretched and felt a bit guilty. Especially with two kids and the college funds not fully funded. But I'm a car guy and I wanted it. If this thread was posted back then, I probably would protest it b/c it would have it a nerve with me.

My 997 GT3 purchase and my Ferrari purchase were more comfortable but still a stretch but backed up by really strong cash flows from my business and a manageable burn rate at home.

Now, almost ten years later from the first GT3 purchase, this more expensive GT3 will be a cash buy, and represents a modest portion of my PNW. For the first time I approach my purchase with ease and calmness, despite how badass the new metal will prove to be.

Just my personal experience.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:29 AM
mtuttle
Advanced

Oh I see DUDE!! You need to have as many posts as you to voice an opinion.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:48 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Luckily Rennlist wasn't around when I bought my first Porsche. I think it was more than 100% of my NW! But I was young, single and starting to make good money. Magic of leasing. Plus you're bulletproof when you're young - right? Now in a vastly better spot but I still think long and hard about buying toys when you have other commitments (kids, college, wife, dog, Mom, etc)..
Old 11-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Ha! true.

-------------

I bought my first GT3 (996) with borrowed money and as a notable % of my PNW. It was a stressful purchase cause I felt like I stretched and felt a bit guilty. Especially with two kids and the college funds not fully funded. But I'm a car guy and I wanted it. If this thread was posted back then, I probably would protest it b/c it would have it a nerve with me.

My 997 GT3 purchase and my Ferrari purchase were more comfortable but still a stretch but backed up by really strong cash flows from my business and a manageable burn rate at home.

Now, almost ten years later from the first GT3 purchase, this more expensive GT3 will be a cash buy, and represents a modest portion of my PNW. For the first time I approach my purchase with ease and calmness, despite how badass the new metal will prove to be.

Same history here.....
Although I'm not sure I'm going to pay cash. The ROI from the business is >20% with endless expansion opportunities so that's where the cash should stay. But I can't decide whether I'll feel worse having it financed or paid for if I stuff it into a wall at some race track
Old 11-09-2013, 12:10 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

That's what track insurance is for
Old 11-09-2013, 12:11 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtuttle
Oh I see DUDE!! You need to have as many posts as you to voice an opinion.
Not true. You could have 1 post and have an opinion. I just thought that it was funny that your only opinions / posts on an enthusiast forum are against this thread.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
That's what track insurance is for
Now there's a thought...usually I don't bother. With a car of this value maybe I'd better.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:55 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

I'm a firm believer in the old adage that if you can't afford to walk away from a total loss don't bring it (or insure it).
Old 11-09-2013, 02:42 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

3MM at 32, good for you.
at 32 i was panhandling at berkekely.

hum... i think the gt3 wuold be about 192% of my NW. but as long as the feds keep lending....
I did say "less" than 3MM. Fortunately thats vague enough.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:45 PM
mtuttle
Advanced

It's one thread! not the forum. It just happen to be this thread for my first post. I didn't realize I had to agree with the thread . There is room for both sides right?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm happy to answer this, as I may be a bit different from most, a bit wreckless if you will. My income varies but in a good year should come to about $100k PRETAX more than the purchase price of the car.. This is significantly less than most here I'm sure, and I have mortgages on land and real estate "investments" I made while in my 20's which have cost more more than crashing 3 gt3 at a track without insurance. The bad taste this has left, makes me realize how fleeting money is, and while I try to save and be frugal... all I need is to have one stock purchase go wrong one day, and there goes 2 monthly payments on a gt3... Conversely, this year I rode the TSLA and FB waves and made some really good money in the market (I'm a momentum speculator)... Last yr I walked into the dealership asking ab $70k 996 gt3... and was happily talked into the purchase of a new one for double the price. This means ill realistically finance half of it, and maybe get a roommate to help me cover half the rent as I'm spending the same as a gt3 payment just by indulging in a very large SF apartment all by myself. Oh... And the startup I work for is shutting down in January... They can't all be success stories and I may be out of a job. By conventional financial ratios should I buy a gt3?.. No, it would amount to a significant portion if not all of my after California tax income. However, the knowledge that once I have kids and. Wife that this will be a much tougher proposition, I'm happy to lose $20-$30k in depreciation and interest over a year or two and have the memory of owning an amazing amazing car. Building a custom cafe racer at the moment which will cost me $30k anyway.. So, the gt3 might end up being the best "investment" I ever made. Am I bit crazy?.. A little.. But I'm happy with my 35 year old child impulsive decision.

Oh, and I get to surprise my Porsche loving father with a surprise trip to the factory to pick up a car which even in his wildest dreams he would never purchase... Just that 2-3 week euro trip and the look on his face will be worth the price.

This is a no-brainer for me.

The tough part remains... What color LOL!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

CAlexio. Admire your brio on this purchase. Also your honesty on this thread. Frayed, Mike, Myself Im sure we have all done this. Cant think of a better car to do it with, even if you only end up owning it for a year you will loose very little money and tick off some huge bucket list items. Im a firm believer you cant take it with you and as you cay it all changes once you have family, wife & responsibilities. Enjoy in good health mate and I may even see you in Europe during your collection!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Ha! true.

-------------

Very similar experience. My first Porsche, bought new, was an '84 Carrera and was a real stretch especially with two kids under 5. You could even say it was a pretty stupid financial move and though it all worked out, it wasn't what I would counsel to a younger buyer now. Still, the heart wants what the heart wants....

No guilt this time around.

Originally Posted by Macca
Frayed, Mike, Myself Im sure we have all done this.
Oh yeah, brother!

Quick Reply: What % of Net Wealth would a 991 GT3 purchase represent?