Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got dealer "heads up" on RS ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013 | 01:36 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manifold
I wear a Tag Heuer and drive Porsches. I don't wear a Rolex or drive a 458. Porsche isn't and will never be Ferrari, with all the pros and cons that entails. But I hope Porsche can remember what Porsche is supposed to be, rather than abandoning a half century of (mostly) distinct excellence for the sake of the short-term corporate bottom line.
I usually wear Vostok or Poljot Russian watches, the older the better. More patina the better - especially the watches that "MAY" have seen duty or even combat! At the moment I drive Toyota Priuses based on mileage advantage and truthfully I share the car with Mumsie.

I totally agree with Porsche needing to stay where it's been for the past 60 years. Keep the quality and reliability way up there like any well manufactured German machinery, no planned obsolescence. And let Ferrari have the sales people who enjoy smelling their own farts and like to have the cars is for service calls twice a year. Oh and don't forget the Enzo Ferrari Mantra of building one less car than he thinks Ferrari can sell. Just to keep them elusive.
Old 09-27-2013 | 05:55 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My base 3.8RS was $132800
My base 4.0RS was $187500

Base is the only right spec for me with lightweight headlights, AC stays, radio goes. White when they used to be CUP car based, I was thinking Atlas Grey for the automatic GTRS.

I'm very alarmed.
For you, there exists a $132k GT3.
Old 09-27-2013 | 06:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

And a lightly used RS
Old 09-27-2013 | 07:20 PM
Dude-
Pro

The GT3 is a bargain, the RS will be a big jump only relative to the GT3. But funny how the RS is still a bargain compared to its competitors.
Old 09-27-2013 | 07:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

And a lightly used RS
like those you sold
Old 09-27-2013 | 07:58 PM
kosmo
Race Director

I wear a 100yo bulova watch that my great great grand dad bought in a general store in knoxville before entering ww1.
It was handed down to me by my father who had hid it up his *** while in a vietnamese war camp.
Old 09-27-2013 | 08:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
like those you sold
Thought I was following Mooty's lead..
Old 09-27-2013 | 08:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I feel sorry for those who have to have the lastest, greatest and best. Ive owned old Porsche's for 15 years and this is my first and probably my only ever new Porsche purchase (991 GT3 lightly optioned). Apart form the fact its almost twice the price as in USA and Im paying cash I certainly dont suffer from the angst many here do having climbed the successive ladder of Porsches latest GT series to get to the next rung and find its been moved up a few notches as with the proposed (not yet official) RS pricing. I still think that the 991 GT3 represents relative exceptional value in the world today. Back in the 1970s and 1973 RS was the equivalent price of a suburban outer London terraced house. Today the new 991 GT3 would be less than 1/3rd the cost of an average outer London terraced house. I 100% sure its the same in all developed world markets. Lucky for those of us whos income may have been related to property over the last 2-3 decades I guess - but relatively speaking these cars are cheaper than ever before.
Mostly I feel for guys like Trackcar who have owned successive variants of the lastest GT3 including the halloed 4.0RS, modified them without restraint then sold them and now find themselves "souless". I think the key here is to either consider the 991 GT3 and just see if you can get on with the new Tech and weather you think its worth the benefit on track as well or backdate to a 3.8RS and an older Cup car for the track (996)...just my thoughts...
Old 09-27-2013 | 08:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I can understand you misreading my signature.

Not chasing the latest and the greatest. Usually buy used cars.
I ordered my RS in April 08 before I ever drove a Porsche because there were no 07's or 08's at MSRP. Waited 2 years while I bought a GT3 to carry me over. Refreshed identical RS until the 4.0RS became available. Just because if you like a GT3RS you like. 4.0 better.

I'm chasing a 996CUP and might very well buy a 3.8RS again.
I have not been able to list my sets of BBS for sale..

Before I buy one back I need to get the CUP. And 991RS testing out of the way. Went looking at a Corvette today and it was not a great experience.

The 4.0 only left the building after it appreciated 40k and proved a bit expensive to insure on track. No regrets, look forward to sample the new RS ( but not at 180k) while I keep beating on my 70k miles Rustang and rent some race cars while chasing the next car.

rented this relic, fun but slow:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=59610

I just signed up for this in Finland:http://www.porsche.com/germany/sport...winter/camp4s/

Hoping to have any 996CUP by D etc ember but if not I enjoy looking out for different experiences now that I have little free time, compared to previous years when I had tons of free time.

I doubt the 991 will be what I hope it will be, but only one way to find out...
Old 09-27-2013 | 09:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mate. I understand better now. You had a dream run too. Winter camp sounds cool. I do like Finland - very quirky people and Helsinki is no larger than Auckland or Dublin and very cosy. Just signing up for the Porsche Performance Course in Zandvoort (Netherlands) for 2015 which also sounds interesting...
Old 09-27-2013 | 09:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Sounds like I just found another reason to go home 2015.
Maybe combine it with a euro delivery RS, leave it there for 5 months for the Ring, Franchorchamps etc. Mother in law has a 2 car garage in Munich and dad has a big warehouse at home...
Old 09-27-2013 | 10:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great plan. www.porsche.com/sportdrivingschool

See you there!
Old 09-28-2013 | 02:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Thought I was following Mooty's lead..
u should follow someone with brains....
Old 09-28-2013 | 05:53 AM
TomTom77
Racer

I just signed up for this in Finland:http://www.porsche.com/germany/sport...winter/camp4s/
Cool! I just booked this one, nicely combined with our skiing holiday: http://www.belowzeroicedriving.com/. Chris Harris reviewed it a while ago on
Old 09-28-2013 | 10:22 AM
Dan39
Racer

I can understand you misreading my signature.

Not chasing the latest and the greatest. Usually buy used cars.
I ordered my RS in April 08 before I ever drove a Porsche because there were no 07's or 08's at MSRP. Waited 2 years while I bought a GT3 to carry me over. Refreshed identical RS until the 4.0RS became available. Just because if you like a GT3RS you like. 4.0 better.

I'm chasing a 996CUP and might very well buy a 3.8RS again.
I have not been able to list my sets of BBS for sale..

Before I buy one back I need to get the CUP. And 991RS testing out of the way. Went looking at a Corvette today and it was not a great experience.

The 4.0 only left the building after it appreciated 40k and proved a bit expensive to insure on track. No regrets, look forward to sample the new RS ( but not at 180k) while I keep beating on my 70k miles Rustang and rent some race cars while chasing the next car.

rented this relic, fun but slow:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=59610

Hoping to have any 996CUP by D etc ember but if not I enjoy looking out for different experiences now that I have little free time, compared to previous years when I had tons of free time.

I doubt the 991 will be what I hope it will be, but only one way to find out...
Re Cup cars - you sound like you understand performance/value, why get a Cup car over a prototype or open wheel car? If you get a race car with no doors, no windows, >1000lbs downforce instead of <500lbs, it's cheaper and way faster. Once you've tried open wheel or prototype cars, hard to go back to a street-type race car.

Also, very curious your impressions of the new Corvette. I saw a Motortrend comparo test at Laguna Seca (which just seems like a power track) between the F12, the 9914S, and the Stingray. Stingray was basically the same speed as the 9114s (both almost as fast as the 700bhp+ Ferrari) but lacked driving dynamics and lost out in the voting.

Quick Reply: Got dealer "heads up" on RS ...