Old 09-27-2013, 12:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,483 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My base 3.8RS was $132800
My base 4.0RS was $187500

Base is the only right spec for me with lightweight headlights, AC stays, radio goes. White when they used to be CUP car based, I was thinking Atlas Grey for the automatic GTRS.

I'm very alarmed.
i am with you on this one.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i am with you on this one.
I dont see the issue for you Trackcar. Buy the bog base GT3 for $135K and pocket the 55K. Order it in Agate Grey if you wish and maybe buy some of the bucket seats when they are available mid 2014. With a remap, aftermarket airbox and exhaust Im sure you will easily have 500 bhp and no doubt there will be a trick RS based software upload floating around by end of 2014 you can upload to PDK-S ecu to change shift points and speeds. IMHO it no longer makes sense to go RS unless you just have to have the badge as a few tenths cant be worth 50K can they?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:59 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread makes me sad.
Maybe it shouldn't...too much. Some would say that a 911 can't be compared to a 458 for instance. Really? This should be a topic of another thread, but what if Porsche is bringing the pricing and quality of engineering more in line with the 458 as a true competitor? Where that leaves the '960' I don't know... Soon we will get the real performance numbers on the GT3, and they just may be closer to the 458 than anyone can imagine.

Compare apples to oranges for a moment. You have a 991 GT3 and a 458 sitting side by side. Both cars are as similarly equiped as can be. Performance numbers nearly the same. 991 GT3RS vs. 458 Speciale - can't say since neither cars are final specd'.

What really makes the 458 cost 2 times as much? Which car costs its manufacturer more to actually produce as it drives off the factory floor? The actual amount the car costs to manufacture vs. MSRP.

Which car is built better? Which would last the longest on the 'Ring or Lemans before a catastrophic failure? Questions...questions...
Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Base is the only right spec for me with lightweight headlights, AC stays, radio goes. White when they used to be CUP car based, I was thinking Atlas Grey for the automatic GTRS.

I'm very alarmed.
I can stomach a base 991RS price of $150K. Optioned to $160K. That's it. Even then I feel Porsche is flirting with the edge of my "I know I'm being ripped off but don't care" tolerance. There comes a point where I just won't play the game anymore no matter how many zero's I see in my bank account. Will pick up an RS pre-owned and probably save $50K. I recall the 4.0RS debates that HOW ON EARTH was it worth 50K more than a 3.8RS (its not - it has collectors value thats all)

Whats going on here? Is inflation that bad? QE3 effects? What? $180K used to be serious money and I'm not that old!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:39 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
Maybe it shouldn't...too much. Some would say that a 911 can't be compared to a 458 for instance. Really? This should be a topic of another thread, but what if Porsche is bringing the pricing and quality of engineering more in line with the 458 as a true competitor? Where that leaves the '960' I don't know... Soon we will get the real performance numbers on the GT3, and they just may be closer to the 458 than anyone can imagine.

Compare apples to oranges for a moment. You have a 991 GT3 and a 458 sitting side by side. Both cars are as similarly equiped as can be. Performance numbers nearly the same. 991 GT3RS vs. 458 Speciale - can't say since neither cars are final specd'.

What really makes the 458 cost 2 times as much? Which car costs its manufacturer more to actually produce as it drives off the factory floor? The actual amount the car costs to manufacture vs. MSRP.

Which car is built better? Which would last the longest on the 'Ring or Lemans before a catastrophic failure? Questions...questions...
i start with a disclaimer: i own a ferrari 458 coupe, so you might think that i am partial. however i am a big fan of porsche engineering and have a very soft spot for the 991 GT3. in fact i am thinking of adding a GT3 RS when it comes out.
let me just comment on your posting, from my very personal perspective. the GT3 will most likely get very very close to the performance of the F458 in the real world (although 0-200kmh time is much better for the F458, but who cares). it will surely be a wonderfully engineered car, still a bit more hardcore than the F458. but and here is the big but: it just cannot match the F458 in term of sheer drama, looks, excitement, 8 cylinder flat crank sound.....on the emotional level the F458 delivers. that is what makes it a supercar. every time i get close to my F458 i feel a sensation in my stomach, when i start the engine the hair on my neck stands up and i forget the stress of the day, it is all joy to drive a piece of engineering and design art. this is why for me the F458 is worth the money.
peter
Old 09-27-2013, 06:12 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,858 Likes on 2,218 Posts

Originally Posted by markow
it just cannot match the F458 in term of sheer drama, looks, excitement, 8 cylinder flat crank sound.....on the emotional level the F458 delivers. that is what makes it a supercar. every time i get close to my F458 i feel a sensation in my stomach, when i start the engine the hair on my neck stands up and i forget the stress of the day, it is all joy to drive a piece of engineering and design art. this is why for me the F458 is worth the money.
I wear a Tag Heuer and drive Porsches. I don't wear a Rolex or drive a 458. Porsche isn't and will never be Ferrari, with all the pros and cons that entails. But I hope Porsche can remember what Porsche is supposed to be, rather than abandoning a half century of (mostly) distinct excellence for the sake of the short-term corporate bottom line.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 918 Posts

I'm very alarmed.
Why do you care, you're buying a Cup car?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:01 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much is a used Cup these days $200k? While I dont necessarily disagree w/ the rs pricing, its very clear to me that P, i mean VW, has shifted it's focus away from the small group of enthusiast to a broader, but yet rich, buyer base. The amount of money and resources the VW Grp is allocating to Asia, esp the Mainland, is staggering. Sportscar are not a big portion of overall sales, however, VW through its portfolio-P, Lambo, et al- aims to change this. "Hey Mr Customer, now that you have a stretched Panny for the chauffeur, A Bently for the wife, how about a sportscar that YOU can drive? And its ok that you cant drive a manual. I introduce the GT3 RS..."

What did AP call it "expanding the bandwidth"???

Nizer, i like your new sig. The "H" is where its at.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
I can stomach a base 991RS price of $150K. Optioned to $160K. That's it. Even then I feel Porsche is flirting with the edge of my "I know I'm being ripped off but don't care" tolerance. There comes a point where I just won't play the game anymore no matter how many zero's I see in my bank account. Will pick up an RS pre-owned and probably save $50K. I recall the 4.0RS debates that HOW ON EARTH was it worth 50K more than a 3.8RS (its not - it has collectors value thats all)

Whats going on here? Is inflation that bad? QE3 effects? What? $180K used to be serious money and I'm not that old!!!
I agree completely.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
How much is a used Cup these days $200k?
Only used Cups at or above $200k are 991 Cups. No need to get that crazy.

Here's one that could likely be had for $40k-$45k: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post10687856

To put that in perspective, you could buy this car, a new dually, and trailer to tow it, and pay for a season of racing for the price of low optioned RS (assuming the 180 MSRP number is accurate).

Alternatively, you could buy the cup and pay a shop for arrive and drive for 2-3 seaons. No muss, no fuss. And you'll be safer, faster, have more fun and learn a ton more than waiting for point-bys and worrying about clag scratching your $200k street RS.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Only used Cups at or above $200k are 991 Cups. No need to get that crazy.

Here's one that could likely be had for $40k-$45k: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post10687856

To put that in perspective, you could buy this car, a new dually, and trailer to tow it, and pay for a season of racing for the price of low optioned RS (assuming the 180 MSRP number is accurate).

Alternatively, you could buy the cup and pay a shop for arrive and drive for 2-3 seaons. No muss, no fuss. And you'll be safer, faster, have more fun and learn a ton more than waiting for point-bys and worrying about clag scratching your $200k street RS.
Don't really understand Cup cars. In Canada, the tires are $1200 per. The engine is $40k? The gearbox $25k? You can buy a much faster prototype, like a Wolff or Radical, where all four tires are $1200, the engine is $12k, etc. Did I mention much faster? 1:16 round Mosport versus 1:22 for a Cup car.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I dont see the issue for you Trackcar. Buy the bog base GT3 for $135K and pocket the 55K. Order it in Agate Grey if you wish and maybe buy some of the bucket seats when they are available mid 2014. With a remap, aftermarket airbox and exhaust Im sure you will easily have 500 bhp and no doubt there will be a trick RS based software upload floating around by end of 2014 you can upload to PDK-S ecu to change shift points and speeds. IMHO it no longer makes sense to go RS unless you just have to have the badge as a few tenths cant be worth 50K can they?
Right, a few tenths of the ability of the car's potential. If you can eek out 8/10 of the normal GT3 I would say think about an RS. Otherwise it's all Vanity, Cars & Coffee - which don't get me wrong isn't bad, or its just for the collectors like Mr Chin Leno.

Oh and as far as I care Patrick Dempsey is still a pretty good Porsche Train Engineer. Even though he drove Le Mans.... How did that happen? Proves you can buy your way into your racing licenses.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engineer as in his car being in front and everyone staying behind him on those old DE Track Day Events, trying to drive around.him. Sorry totally off topic.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan39
Don't really understand Cup cars. In Canada, the tires are $1200 per. The engine is $40k? The gearbox $25k? You can buy a much faster prototype, like a Wolff or Radical, where all four tires are $1200, the engine is $12k, etc. Did I mention much faster? 1:16 round Mosport versus 1:22 for a Cup car.
Tires $2k, engine and gearbox $30k & $15k for complete rebuild. These numbers only apply for 997 Cup that you want to keep GTC legal, ie, where you're forced to pay inflated PMNA prices. It's a lot less if you have your local Porsche engine shop do the work.

Knock all this down if you're talking 996 Cup.

As for other cheaper, faster track cars, of course - just trying to keep it all in the family.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:32 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad is an understatement. 997 cars are the bargain of the decade right now, and looks like the GT3 also.

Quick Reply: Got dealer "heads up" on RS ...