First "Real World Customer" review....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Relentless negativity......
The posters who dislike the new GT3 the most on here are generally the ones who already have a 997.2 GT3 in the garage. Its natural I guess....
Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

The motor in the 991 GT3 is not in any factory-built race car as was the case in previous GT3's. Simple fact. Sorry if it upsets you. Feel free to dispute it.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Relentless negativity......
Agreed!!!

As much as I respect many of the track-rat views (truly, I do-as these guys push the limits), I must say, some -sorry Nizer (I actually, mostly, appreciate your excellent insight and viewpoints)- only comment when they have a negative comment. It has become tiresome, annoying and downright boring.

I had a .2 gt3, sold it in anticipation of the 991, hoping the new car would be what I anticipated. Reviews to date indicate this is true. That said, can the pure negative responders please create their very own "I hate f*cking PDK- new GT3" thread and be done with it...

So, Nizer and others, please move on. It has become tiresome.

If I am wrong and this car sucks, so f$ckin what. I/we paid the price of admission, with only ourselves to blame.

Have a great day!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
The motor in the 991 GT3 is not in any factory-built race car as was the case in previous GT3's. Simple fact. Sorry if it upsets you. Feel free to dispute it.
The 991 GT3 isn't even in production yet. We can revisit this subject when it is and see where we stand which seems to make more sense than continuous negative speculation. Macca who, as opposed to being relentlessly negative, has been relentlessly correct with his input keeps hinting that there is Motorsport DFI testing going on. Personally I suspect he is right again, and the other shoe has yet to drop on this issue. Porsche said from the beginning that the paradigm had shifted and the street cars would get the motorsport engine before the race cars this time around. Let's give them a chance to prove it.

I'm not upset, although 911dev makes good points. My reaction was primarily to your "officially severed" reference. Is there an "official" Porsche factory announcement confirming the status of the use of the GT3 engine in motorsport that we've missed?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

I actually think Porsche is quite clever in separating the new GT3 from the race platform. This frees them up to build "motorsport-derived" versions of all their platforms, which I fully expect going forward.

As I've posted many times, the new GT3 will be a great car. If they build a proper RS there's a good chance I'll sample. That said, as long as some continue to post inaccurate information I will continue to respond with fact.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

At least we can all agree that it's important to get the facts straight. Which is why I'm still hoping for a link to the "official" announcement so we can clear this matter up.....
Old 08-16-2013, 10:40 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you define "halo" motor with the GT3 race connection officially severed?
i meant 'halo' as in top of the range engine at the time.
the engine is purported to be a 3.6 derivative of the cayman 3.4
so it won't have the 3.8 engine that is in the new quasi gt3
the source is pretty tight, but un-nameable.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The posters who dislike the new GT3 the most on here are generally the ones who already have a 997.2 GT3 in the garage. Its natural I guess....
Well, I didn't have either till a couple of months ago. I had a deposit on 991 GT3 since Aug of last year. I followed the spy shots etc very enthusiastically. Only after 991 GT3 was revealed and PDK only was confirmed did I go get a 997.2. So yea, I was disappointed. And I think there is a fair criticism to be made about Porsche abandoning the formula of the previous GT3s that so many here loved. But, I agree there is also a lot of unwarranted and unsubstantiated negativity targeted at the car (won't be reliable, won't be fast etc). And that is unfortunate. It makes even the valid criticism of the car not so.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i meant 'halo' as in top of the range engine at the time.
the engine is purported to be a 3.6 derivative of the cayman 3.4
so it won't have the 3.8 engine that is in the new quasi gt3
the source is pretty tight, but un-nameable.
Got it. 400hp is relatively easy with properly built 3.6. If they get there and upgrade suspension and brakes it could be very interesting, though I suspect a little too close for comfort to GT3. Time will tell.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:01 AM
frayed
Race Car

How do you define "halo" motor with the GT3 race connection officially severed?
Geesh. Dramaqueen much? Frankly I think you are full of ****. You have a link to your 'officially' severed statement?

That said, as long as some continue to post inaccurate information I will continue to respond with fact.
Fact?

Prove it up.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Well, I didn't have either till a couple of months ago. I had a deposit on 991 GT3 since Aug of last year. I followed the spy shots etc very enthusiastically. Only after 991 GT3 was revealed and PDK only was confirmed did I go get a 997.2. So yea, I was disappointed. And I think there is a fair criticism to be made about Porsche abandoning the formula of the previous GT3s that so many here loved. But, I agree there is also a lot of unwarranted and unsubstantiated negativity targeted at the car (won't be reliable, won't be fast etc). And that is unfortunate. It makes even the valid criticism of the car not so.

My 2 cents.
Hi Sunny. I dont think the formula has been abandoned. Just updated. Assume for the moment the engine becomes the basis for motorsport with an announcement before the end of the year. Then what we are really talking about is a faster, more capable GT3 than the outgoing model with more concessions to daily usage and comfort (suspension) with the trade off of a little less driver involvement. I've have said this many times before, but nothing is new here - From the 2.7RS to the 964+993/RS to the 996.1 GT3 and beyond the cars have become more daily useable with more electronic aids and in many ways "softer". The 4.0RS perhaps being the exception and this seems to be the benchmark which the 991 GT3 is being tested against for many which is some ways quite ludicrous for everything there than a handling perspective. How fast it is and its performance parameters have certainly not been in debate - its clearly the most capable GT3 Porsche have yet released including the RS models and the 4.0RS - I dont think ive heard a single journo in the 9 or so reviews I have on file now say otherwise....

In terms of reliability the benchmark has been set by the 997.2 GT3. If the car has as many or more annoying recalls than this model GT3 it will not be good for Porsche. We have been advised the CL is largely redesigned (lower torque needed now 100nm for tigthening, different thread width and many of the internal parts form the CGT. Only time will tell about the engine reliability but the 9A1 seems a very good basis to work from with relatively few faults identified at this time.

The number of detractors here have shrunken very quickly in the last few weeks since the proper reviews have come out and the videos too. We will read a review from Mario Franc soon and other driver such as Mr Rohl, comparos on the race track against 458s and Lambos etc and feedback from owners or independent reviewers such as the gentleman that owns the 4.0RS (as wel as CGT , 992 etc) that lent his car for the EVO review and gave a great real world in depth rundown on how he felt about the new GT3.

Its going to be interesting times, especially when the RS version breaks cover ...

The 997.2 GT3 is a great car. I would be very happy to own that car if I didnt already have a very heavily modified and fast road/track focused 993. Enjoy it and maybe borrow a 991 GT3 for a few days when they are at the dealers as it would be very interesting to understand your take on this whole paragdigm shift...
Old 08-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Geesh. Dramaqueen much? Frankly I think you are full of ****. You have a link to your 'officially' severed statement?

Fact?

Prove it up.
You seem like a rational, intelligent individual. Call PMNA and ask what motor and trans are in the 2014 Cup or GT America.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 AM
frayed
Race Car

That's your official source? We all know what's in the 14 cars. You take that as an official severing yet ignore all the other information on this topic. Okay.

Hyperbole is your strength, Nizer.

I'm still waiting for a link to some 'official' validation of your statement. Likewise, exactly what is the 'inaccurate information' that you feel so compelled to which to respond?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Does anyone on these threads actually have a PAG factory contact? Ask about the Motorsports Testing Program for DFI...
Mmmm. Tend to agree. I thought I summed it up fairly well here. I cant be the only one on this board that have contacts in Germany. Surely out of all the uber connected, serious racer types we have here someone has the insider skinny?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:21 AM
Dude-
Pro

If you don't plan to buy one and come into every thread in the 991 GT3 forum to discredit it you got problems. What is the motive? Frankly I don't understand how one can waste their time like that.

Thanks Macca for all the info. Sound like you have some nice hooks into intel.

Can't wait to see the evo review video. I'm gonna flip the table when they tell me the 12c was running on stock tires.

Last edited by Dude-; 08-17-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Quick Reply: First "Real World Customer" review....