Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette drivers are meat eaters, but I don't think he ordered this T-Bone.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,265 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Wow, definitely interested in the Z51:

"$64,000 question - what's it like to drive?

In a word: stunning. What the 'Vette team has managed to achieve with the C7 is nothing short of astonishing. You basically get three cars in one. It will comfortably cruise all day, mopping up bumps, sipping fuel and generally letting you go about your business without getting in the way. You'd be happy commuting in it. Equally it has the performance - and luggage space under the rear hatch - to handle long journeys with ease. But the really special bit is, without touching anything more than the chassis set up dial, you can take it to a track and have hours of fun, too.

There's stacks of grip at both ends, the adjustable steering communicates really well when you want it to and fades away when you don't, the chassis absorbs changes of input from the road and driver without issue. And, best of all, it's all massively entertaining in the process. Unlike a lot of high performance cars which don't give you much feedback until the limit, you really feel like you can thrash the C7 and get all the value out of it at all speeds.

So should I buy one then?

If you've ever thought about a 'Vette, now is the time. By thoroughly updating the car the C7 team have vaulted to the front of the wave of modern two-seater sportscars. There really isn't anything else on the market that does as much as this car can do for even twice the price."
Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I had better stop reading anything on the corvette, or ill cancel my gt3 deposit.

At what point does an otherwise non-desirable car (compared to a gt3's desirability) have such performance, and come in at such an attractive price... That it becomes the actual desirable option which gets your hard-earned $$$?

$65k vs $150k is becoming a tough proposition. Oh yea.. European delivery on the gt3... Wait, did you say $65k?.. Almost $100k savings... Ooof!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Look at it this way. Loaded Corvette and a CUP car.
Im still doing that euro delivery thing though...
Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Kinda makes you chuckle at the folks panning the Vette while simultaneously arguing what a great performance value the GT3 is relative to a Ferrari or McLaren. I think psychologists call that cognitive dissonance.....
Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Kinda makes you chuckle at the folks panning the Vette while simultaneously arguing what a great performance value the GT3 is relative to a Ferrari or McLaren. I think psychologists call that cognitive dissonance.....
i call it talking out of one's mouth and *** at the same time.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Wow, definitely interested in the Z51:

"$64,000 question - what's it like to drive?

In a word: stunning. What the 'Vette team has managed to achieve with the C7 is nothing short of astonishing. You basically get three cars in one. It will comfortably cruise all day, mopping up bumps, sipping fuel and generally letting you go about your business without getting in the way. You'd be happy commuting in it. Equally it has the performance - and luggage space under the rear hatch - to handle long journeys with ease. But the really special bit is, without touching anything more than the chassis set up dial, you can take it to a track and have hours of fun, too.

There's stacks of grip at both ends, the adjustable steering communicates really well when you want it to and fades away when you don't, the chassis absorbs changes of input from the road and driver without issue. And, best of all, it's all massively entertaining in the process. Unlike a lot of high performance cars which don't give you much feedback until the limit, you really feel like you can thrash the C7 and get all the value out of it at all speeds.

So should I buy one then?

If you've ever thought about a 'Vette, now is the time. By thoroughly updating the car the C7 team have vaulted to the front of the wave of modern two-seater sportscars. There really isn't anything else on the market that does as much as this car can do for even twice the price."
thats high praise esp coming from the Brits. Perhaps the vette is something to consider.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I think it's actually called a straw man since no posts I recall reading have panned the Vette's performance value. It's clearly a bargain in that respect. Styling, fit and finish, and reliability are areas, OTOH, where I've seen concerns being expressed, and to some those things are at least as important as raw performance.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think it's actually called a straw man since no posts I recall reading have panned the Vette's performance value. It's clearly a bargain in that respect. Styling, fit and finish, and reliability are areas, OTOH, where I've seen concerns being expressed, and to some those things are at least as important as raw performance.
Reliability? Interesting.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I've said this before, and it's only my personal opinion:

I had a chance to see both the C7 and the 991GT3 in person, on the same day, and right across from each other. I would pay the extra money for the 991 GT3. It looks that much better. I went back for a second and third look at the C7 to make sure I wasn't missing something. Each time I went back, I was underwhelmed. However, I did continue to look back the GT3 everytime, and each time it looked even better and was even more enticing. I shouldn't have gone to that car show...

I have no idea why all the journalists are saying the interior of the C7 is so great. It's acceptable. That's the best I can give it. It's not good. Certainly not great.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Reliability? Interesting.
If you say so. I have no personal experience with Corvettes so I have no opinion on their reliability although I've heard from others, including a friend and former owner with whom I spent Sunday at Laguna, who have compared them unfavorably to Porsche.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for Corvette performance but on a purely subjective level I'm not a fan of their interior and exterior styling and haven't been particularly interested in them just for that reason.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish I wanted a 'vette because it sounds like a great car, but I don't.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,265 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Looks are pass/fail for me, and the Vette passes. I'm certainly not going to be paying more than double for the GT3 because it looks better. Reliability remains to be seen for both of them, but parts will surely be much cheaper for the Vette.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^^That makes sense.

There are lots of buttons that have to get pushed for someone to spend significant money on a car, whether it's $65K or $130K or $230K. If the Corvette pushes enough of them for you then it's obviously a good choice. FWIW, it pushes very few for me.

I'd love it if there was a new car cheaper than the GT3 that I really lusted after and met all my criteria for a sports car, but there isn't. It's a luxury to pay that much for an automobile but I'm indulging myself. If your lust is satisfied by spending 1/2 of what I'm about to, more power to you.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'd love it if there was a new car cheaper than the GT3 that I really lusted after and met all my criteria for a sports car, but there isn't. It's a luxury to pay that much for an automobile but I'm indulging myself. If your lust is satisfied by spending 1/2 of what I'm about to, more power to you.
+1. This is so true.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

I'd love it if there was a new car cheaper than the GT3 that I really lusted after and met all my criteria for a sports car, but there isn't.
What about the Alfa Romeo 4C? Two-thirds the weight of the GT3 and half the price. That's one I'm waiting to see as well. I'll have to see if that one gets here before the GT3. Could be a hard choice. Until then I'll have to get by with the Cayman R and R8. Both 100% sports cars.

If only the 'Vette had a proper dual-clutch transmission. . .

Quick Reply: Corvette drivers are meat eaters, but I don't think he ordered this T-Bone.