Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Express Review - Cant wait to get this baby on a race track!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Auto Express Review - Cant wait to get this baby on a race track!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...911-gt3-review

Another glowing review.

As I have also been saying around here for quite some time this car will not truly reveal its "millenium falcon" abilities until it gets tested on a race track. Then I think we are finally in for some very interesting reading...

Of course Im biased!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:53 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

These previews are great (thanks for posting) but I'm really looking forward to track testing and fully instrumented testing by the various magazines. I have a feeling the hard numbers are going to be quite staggering.....
Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike you wont be dissapointed. I know the RWS has really improved the tyre temp across the surface so Im imagining the GT3 will not only post some rather impressive figures but it will do so with some much needed consistency over 6+ laps due to tyre preservation and predictability.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:07 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

The sentence caught my eye.

Some drivers will miss the satisfaction to be gained from using a manual box, but the PDK is lighter
That was not my understanding. Any support for this? Lighter than what?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared

From what I know PDK is heavier than a Manual transmission.
I wonder how much experience with Porsche and sport cars in general some of these reviewers have...
Old 07-29-2013, 12:02 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I keep hoping that one of the magazines will give a thorough description of just how the PDK-s in the GT3 operates.

From Auto Express Review...

"Most importantly of all, Porsche has tailored the PDK box for the GT3. Shorter ratios mean seventh is a top speed ratio, not an overdrive ratio, while in manual mode there’s no kickdown or auto-creep, and the system won’t change up automatically. Shifts are even faster than in the standard 911, and downshifts slot into place equally quickly, aided by a large blip of the throttle."

There appear to be three modes of operation for the PDK-s in the GT3, and combining with the above tidbit of knowledge I gather they operate something like:

Normal - Automated mode similar to PDK in 911 Carerra and Carerra S though with slightly faster shifts. No auto creep, from a stop the clutch will not engage without some throttle application. Mode is toggled with Sport via a button on the center console.

Sport - Automated mode with even quicker shifts, targets engine RPM between 4k and 7k. Will hold the engine in gear to redline before shifting. No auto creep, from a stop the clutch will not engage without some throttle application. Mode is toggled with Normal via a button on the center console.

Manual - Driver responsible for all up-shifts. Likely prevents lugging - automatic downshift below some RPM/load. Rejects downshifts that would cause the engine to exceed the 9000k RPM rev limit (money shift). No auto creep, from a stop the clutch will not engage without some throttle application. Mode is selected by pulling the PDK shift lever, at least in a LHD car, to the left. State of Normal / Sport toggle button changes shift time / agressiveness.

A companion question ... are any of the settings remembered between starts? For instance, if I start the car and turn the sport exhaust off (open / loud mode) and PDK sport mode on and then shut the car down, are my settings remembered for the next start?

Anyone seen anything to confirm or debunk my assumptions?

Ryan

Last edited by reidry; 07-29-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Updated.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:28 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared

The PDK is lighter than the one in the Carrera. The Manual is lighter than both.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:33 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
I keep hoping that one of the magazines will give a thorough description of just how the PDK-s in the GT3 operates.

From Auto Express Review...

"Most importantly of all, Porsche has tailored the PDK box for the GT3. Shorter ratios mean seventh is a top speed ratio, not an overdrive ratio, while in manual mode there’s no kickdown or auto-creep, and the system won’t change up automatically. Shifts are even faster than in the standard 911, and downshifts slot into place equally quickly, aided by a large blip of the throttle."

There appear to be three modes of operation for the PDK-s in the GT3, and combining with the above tidbit of knowledge I gather they operate something like:

Normal - Automated mode with automatic creep just like PDK in 911 Carerra and Carerra S though with slightly faster shifts. Mode is toggled with Sport via a button on the center console.

Sport - Automated mode with even quicker shifts, targets engine RPM between 4k and 7k, unsure if this mode has auto creep. Mode is toggled with Normal via a button on the center console.

Manual - Driver responsible for all up-shifts. Likely prevents lugging - automatic downshift below some RPM/load. Rejects downshifts that would cause the engine to exceed the 9000k RPM rev limit (money shift). No auto creep, from a stop the clutch will not engage without some throttle application. Mode is selected by pulling the PDK shift lever, at least in a LHD car, to the left. State of Normal / Sport toggle button should have no effect on operation in this mode.

A companion question ... are any of the settings remembered between starts? For instance, if I start the car and turn the sport exhaust off (open / loud mode) and PDK sport mode on and then shut the car down, are my settings remembered for the next start?

Anyone seen anything to confirm or debunk my assumptions?

Ryan
PDK can be in either Auto or Manual in ALL modes.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by kosmo
PDK can be in either Auto or Manual in ALL modes.
That's right, and in response to reidry there is no auto creep in any mode, auto, manual, sport, or otherwise. Auto Sport mode will hold the engine in gear to redline before shifting. I don't know whether settings are saved after the ignition is turned off....

Dig the new avatar kosmo.....very appropriate!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

There appear to be three modes of operation for the PDK-s in the GT3, and I gather they operate something like:

Normal - Automated mode similar to PDK in 911 Carerra and Carerra S though with slightly faster shifts. No auto creep, from a stop the clutch will not engage without some throttle application. Mode is toggled with Sport via a button on the center console.

Sport - Automated mode with even quicker shifts, targets engine RPM between 4k and 7k. Will hold the engine in gear to redline before shifting. No auto creep, from a stop the clutch will not engage without some throttle application. Mode is toggled with Normal via a button on the center console.

Manual - Driver responsible for all up-shifts. Likely prevents lugging - automatic downshift below some RPM/load. Rejects downshifts that would cause the engine to exceed the 9000k RPM rev limit (money shift). No auto creep, from a stop the clutch will not engage without some throttle application. Mode is selected by pulling the PDK shift lever, at least in a LHD car, to the left. State of Normal / Sport toggle button changes shift time / agressiveness.
Closer?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:50 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice review.
Metzger, really?!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Closer?

The only thing that you might clarify is that "Normal" mode with PDK-S is equivalent to Sport Mode with regular PDK, and PDK-S sport mode is similar to PDK Sport Plus. Normal mode with PDK is pretty much an economy mode and PDK-S doesn't really have an economy mode.

Quick Reply: Auto Express Review - Cant wait to get this baby on a race track!