Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 video review by AutoCar

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Bill. Ill send you a .pdf copy on Monday.

Much of it (the article) was based on this booklet printed in a run of 50 just like a factory brochure (very low resolution version attached) designed specifically for this car in 2012 for the International Porsche Parade of which the PAG factory have a copy!

Since then a new stage of work is planned starting August 2013 including amongst many other things front/rear monoballs, front camber plates, new weight saving measures (-30kg), a 993 Heigo half cage colour coded steel grey, RS front uprights & tie rods, r compound tyres and some custom CF RS style door cards etc. I guess Ill have to update the photos once this work is done. The final items on my wish list is a 400 bhp 3.9L slide valve engine from Rothsport Racing or a similar type engine from 9M!

Heres a few more pictures if of interest.
Attached Images      
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
carerra_anniversary_A5_v8.pdf (1.15 MB, 75 views)
Old 06-29-2013, 07:26 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Drooling. Thank you for sharing this beauty.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,279 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Personally, I don't mind hearing from the naysayers, since I'm seriously considering the car but haven't made up my mind. The car clearly has major strengths, but concerns remain, the biggest being whether it will be trackworthy (I'm doing about 10K track miles a year) and whether PDK will be boring or eventually becoming boring. Other negatives are dealing with the CL 20" wheels and the lack of experience race shops will have with the RWS. It may be a perfect cars/coffee sports car, but IMO its suitability for the track remains a question.

And as far as the emotions from naysayers, I sympathize, since I'm of the view that the GT3 ended with the 997, just as the 911 ended with the 997. That doesn't mean that 991 and 991 GT3 aren't great cars and worthy successors in their own ways, but it's still sad to see the passing of the 911/GT3 legacy.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:32 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I don't go out much bn office, toilet and garage.
but man, his accent is cool.
love it.

oh yes cars
it's funny that most posters on this thread is reviewing the reviewer?!

IMHO reviews of these type are educational for toilet seat reading. u learn a few things and form some questions. then go buy one and do ur own review. it is the ONLY way.

in my dats of mt biking and stereo crap, I have more equipment than psoosbly any journalist out there. then and only then u realize regardless of how famous they are,half of them out there are full of it. do ur own test form ur own opinion, then have fun racing about others opinion on the toilet seat.

I think I need a 991gt car. trigger happy paddle shifting sounds fun
Old 06-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
...the 911 ended with the 997....
Nah, the 911 ended with the 993, once Porsche went wet, and big-even the Boxster/Cayman is a bigger car than the air-cooled 911.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:08 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

What macca said.. Funny prediction but same cuckoo cycle happens with all forums it seems.. Luddites complain, then adapt and embrace
Old 06-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Gorgeous car, Macca.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Almost makes me want to order white.
I'm not a white car guy, but I am considering it as an alternative. I think it looks completely sick with red belts, stitching, and calipers.

The only drawback I can think of, and it's significant for me at least, is the inevitable yellowing of the clear bra. It never fails.

As an alternative, Premier or whoever should just offer a slightly smoked bra. It would look funky, but not as funky as off yellow.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:50 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Why don't you guys just buy whatever color you like.. Then wrap your baby in whatever awesome color you never dared to actually purchase, but wanted to experience for a few months... Like chrome Kermit green.. Then when you're done, or want to sell.. You take it off and paint is perfect. Similar price to clear-bra. Much more exciting.

I've posted this elsewhere on forum, but I located some wrap shops in Leipzig where I will immediately drive my gt3 next summer after picking it up from the factory. There it will go from guards red.. To I dunno.. Uhm... Chrome red with martini stripes. Just for ****s and giggles.. And to keep it blemish-free
Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Personally, I don't mind hearing from the naysayers, since I'm seriously considering the car but haven't made up my mind. The car clearly has major strengths, but concerns remain, the biggest being whether it will be trackworthy (I'm doing about 10K track miles a year) and whether PDK will be boring or eventually becoming boring. Other negatives are dealing with the CL 20" wheels and the lack of experience race shops will have with the RWS. It may be a perfect cars/coffee sports car, but IMO its suitability for the track remains a question.

And as far as the emotions from naysayers, I sympathize, since I'm of the view that the GT3 ended with the 997, just as the 911 ended with the 997. That doesn't mean that 991 and 991 GT3 aren't great cars and worthy successors in their own ways, but it's still sad to see the passing of the 911/GT3 legacy.
Its funny but everyone has their own perspective. As Al Pettee says for many of us you comment applies but change out 997 as the last real organic 911 for 993 LOL! That was me for these last 15 years....
Old 06-30-2013, 12:51 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,279 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Its funny but everyone has their own perspective. As Al Pettee says for many of us you comment applies but change out 997 as the last real organic 911 for 993 LOL! That was me for these last 15 years....
I understand, it's a standard debate. But I still perceive all of them up to the 997 having the 911 feel, whereas the 991 doesn't (both gaining and losing in the process).
Old 06-30-2013, 01:37 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

I understand, it's a standard debate. But I still perceive all of them up to the 997 having the 911 feel, whereas the 991 doesn't (both gaining and losing in the process).
I'd agree. 991 was the first 911 I drove that did not feel weird or awkward in some way. It just felt like a really good normal car. But you can make an argument that by becoming normal it stopped being special. To me personally it does not make much difference and is more positive than not. But I can see how it did lose something, especially for those with sentimental attachment or those valuing their investment in "911-specific" driving skills.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I'd agree. 991 was the first 911 I drove that did not feel weird or awkward in some way. It just felt like a really good normal car. But you can make an argument that by becoming normal it stopped being special. To me personally it does not make much difference and is more positive than not. But I can see how it did lose something, especially for those with sentimental attachment or those valuing their investment in "911-specific" driving skills.
I do agree but again the same can be said about every iteration of the 911 since the aircooled 993 IMHO. There is no bigger change than jumping from a 993/964 to a 996. To many of us the 911 started to become tame a long time ago. Of course it is all relative.

The 991 is the best example yet of dialing out the rearward engine traits. I think it now stands independently as a really good sportscar and the handling issues of old are largely part of its legend. This has been going on for some time now. However if you are a good driver you can still safely get that back *** swinging out over steer and have some fun.

The good news is you dont have to worry so much about soiling yourself in motorsport events covered by the national photo press and film (and later published in a high distribution national Motorsport publication) like what happened to yours truly last year LOL!

It will be nice to have the 991 GT3 chassis to lean on a bit harder in such wet situations without always being cautious and quick with the hands, or LFB, (in this case heel and toe to accelerator and brake whilst oppo lock he he).
Attached Images      
Old 06-30-2013, 02:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here's one with no rain and great NZ country side (not a sheep in site either which is a rare thing!)
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2013, 02:55 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lovely pictures Macca

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 video review by AutoCar