Sponsored by:

Stingy GT-3 allocations...Grabbed one

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:59 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I did put down a $5000 deposit. My understanding is rest of the payment will be on delivery. FWIW, I NEVER had to put down a deposit to order a new Ferrari.
What Ferrari dealer? I have tried two different dealers looking to order a car and willing to put up a significant deposit. Basically, both have told me they will not let me order a car until I own one, wanting me to buy a used, over sticker car, basically buying my right to buy a new one at MSRP. Not a process I am willing to go through. I can be patient and wait 12-24 months for one, but not willing to buy a used car. Would like to hear your experience.

PM if you like... Not looking to hijack this thread.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev

Hans' might appreciate his name spelled right. I mean it's kind of obvious. Just sayin...
I know, I know, but being German that's just the WRONG spelling, period. It must be some Polish/Chech version..just kidding. I don't know what happened and who his parents were but his name is simply spelled wrong, period and I automatically type the "butcher" profession... And we Germans know our spelling...
Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
You will be going way to quickly and having far to much fun to be wanting a MT in that car with the performance it will deliver IMHO.
Hi Macca! Have enjoyed your posts tremendously... And I know fast is good and so is PS ("there's no substitute for HP", an old American saying) BUT it depends on what you do with your car, right? You've been driving around in your "dinosaur" and enjoyed it, right? Now, you finally realized that it is time to catch up with the real (automated, assisted, easy-to-get-along-with) world and are hot on this new one. Nothing wrong with it, but again, reflect where you're coming from... that's all I'm saying. When I followed my friend on Thunderhill, I realized that in his PDK he didn't have all the challenges I had. Not being able to (or didn't make sense) to shift before a corner (he did twice!) and coming out of it I had to figure out to use the little torque I had left to my best advantage... and so on. It all depends on where you're at in this "track-driving" cycle. I'm still in the early stages (3 years so far) and having not even explored the 9/10 or let alone the 10/10 edges of my car, I feel I have years to go to have fun. And I'm not a purist as in "I only drive manuals" but just like the challenge of coaxing this short-wheel based 997 beast around Sonoma Raceway and not getting eaten alive by turbo-powered Mazdas...

Just my 2c. Your 2011 GT3 is a great car. Until you get bored with it you should keep it.
You're absolutely right! And it might take me a few more years..
PS: If I want raw power (which I do like :-) I'd just buy a new Corvette. The cost of maintaining a GT3 on the racetrack is probably the only reason to "stray away" from Porsche down the road. $2500 tire changes every 6 months is getting kind of old
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
Hi Macca! Have enjoyed your posts tremendously... And I know fast is good and so is PS ("there's no substitute for HP", an old American saying) BUT it depends on what you do with your car, right? You've been driving around in your "dinosaur" and enjoyed it, right? Now, you finally realized that it is time to catch up with the real (automated, assisted, easy-to-get-along-with) world and are hot on this new one. Nothing wrong with it, but again, reflect where you're coming from... that's all I'm saying. When I followed my friend on Thunderhill, I realized that in his PDK he didn't have all the challenges I had. Not being able to (or didn't make sense) to shift before a corner (he did twice!) and coming out of it I had to figure out to use the little torque I had left to my best advantage... and so on. It all depends on where you're at in this "track-driving" cycle. I'm still in the early stages (3 years so far) and having not even explored the 9/10 or let alone the 10/10 edges of my car, I feel I have years to go to have fun. And I'm not a purist as in "I only drive manuals" but just like the challenge of coaxing this short-wheel based 997 beast around Sonoma Raceway and not getting eaten alive by turbo-powered Mazdas...

You're absolutely right! And it might take me a few more years..
PS: If I want raw power (which I do like :-) I'd just buy a new Corvette. The cost of maintaining a GT3 on the racetrack is probably the only reason to "stray away" from Porsche down the road. $2500 tire changes every 6 months is getting kind of old
All good points and I fully agree. I have no intentions of selling my 993 infact its just in the process of having a whole load more modifications done to it including Monoballs, camber plates, RS uprights and tie rods. Its certainly not as quick as any GT3 yet, in my hands at least, but it sure is a whole lot of fun to drive. I expect the 991 GT3 to be just as much fun in a much different way.

If I only had one Porsche right now and it was a 2011 997 GT3 I wouldn't even be looking at this thread. However if I was coming to market fresh and considering the new GT3 vs the old one even though Im a die hard air cooled old skool guy Id go straight for the 991 GT3. Its just a very 21st century solution to an age old addiction (speed, performance, handling, sound, looks) and IMHO every GT3 has been better than the one that preceded it.

By the way on your other thread you say your deal claims only cars built in 2015 are 2015 MY cars. Since the beginning Porsche MY have been set from the first day of production after the summer holiday (which was traditionally a month holiday I believe but likely no longer). Porsche cars produced from August 2014 will become MY 2014 and that includes the GT3. However as the GT3 is a short run vehicle its often referred to with its model designation by the first year of its production (i.e. 1999 996 GT3, 2003 996 GT3, 2009 997 GT3 etc).

Mate, you enjoy your 997 GT3. Its a brilliant car. Wait a couple of years and check out whats happening with the 991 GT3 then decide!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by az audi
What Ferrari dealer? I have tried two different dealers looking to order a car and willing to put up a significant deposit. Basically, both have told me they will not let me order a car until I own one, wanting me to buy a used, over sticker car, basically buying my right to buy a new one at MSRP. Not a process I am willing to go through. I can be patient and wait 12-24 months for one, but not willing to buy a used car. Would like to hear your experience.

PM if you like... Not looking to hijack this thread.
Sadly, that is how the Ferrari system works because of the limited production. You need to become a client either by purchasing a used Ferrari from the dealer or get your name on the list and hope you get called.

However, once you become a client you get priority in future car purchases. It is not often a person can walk into a Ferrari dealership and be able to order a popular new Ferrari without first becoming a client.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:13 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Horstair. The "guinea pig" thing is a red herring. There's no first release cars with the GT3. Its an "only release" situation. 18-20 month production run (maybe 2000-2500 units worldwide, most likely built in batch runs). Any faults or remedies will be manage after sale side by recalls just like with the 996 GT3/RS, 997GT3/RS and 4.0RS.
I think people tend to over estimate the ability of the factory to make changes mid production run. With inventory purchased, tooling in place, lack of long term testing by first adopters (and consequent statistically reliable data), I doubt much will change from the early cars to the later built cars.

Would have to wait till the 991 GT3.2 facelift to find appreciable updates IMO.

With that said, I seem to recall AP saying the 991 GT3 had 4x the development hours than any other GT3 before it. If accurate, I'm expecting a robust car.

I know the detractors will disagree; just the way I see things
Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
I think people tend to over estimate the ability of the factory to make changes mid production run. With inventory purchased, tooling in place, lack of long term testing by first adopters (and consequent statistically reliable data), I doubt much will change from the early cars to the later built cars.

With that said, I seem to recall AP saying the 991 GT3 had 4x the development hours than any other GT3 before it. If accurate, I'm expecting a robust car.

I thought there were several problems with the 997GT3 and RS?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:23 PM
frayed
Race Car

What precisely do you mean Nick? There are a host of problems with the 997 all documented on the 997 GT3 forum.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

What precisely do you mean Nick? There are a host of problems with the 997 all documented on the 997 GT3 forum.
That was what I was referring to i.e. coolant hose, CL and other issues. These despite extensive testing by Porsche surfaced after the initial deliveries.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:08 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

That was what I was referring to i.e. coolant hose, CL and other issues. These despite extensive testing by Porsche surfaced after the initial deliveries.
And, as far as I know, those issues weren't corrected mid production run.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:19 PM
frayed
Race Car

I don't think the coolant fittings were fixed, centerlocks were only on the .2 cars and the full re-engineering of the hubs didn't happen till just now. There are some other issues with the beloved mezger motor as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:51 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Exactly. The amount of testing that has to be done for every change is huge and takes a lot of time and money (and doing it faster costs exponentially more money). Electronics/software fixes are the easiest to implement, in fact, which is one pro of more things being electronics-driven (diff, RWS etc). Case in point - BMW could not fix HPFP screw up of epic proportions (mechanical issue) for years, and took a big PR and monetary hit, basically replacing faulty parts with same faulty parts to infinity. At the same time, software bug in DCT was first addressed in less than 6 months and completely fixed in less than a year.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

There are always problems. The only relevant factor is how the manufacturer deals with them.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 AM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly, that is how the Ferrari system works because of the limited production. You need to become a client either by purchasing a used Ferrari from the dealer or get your name on the list and hope you get called.

However, once you become a client you get priority in future car purchases. It is not often a person can walk into a Ferrari dealership and be able to order a popular new Ferrari without first becoming a client.
Thanks. Based on other reading, I unfortunately have come to this realization.

Quick Reply: Stingy GT-3 allocations...Grabbed one