Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stingy GT-3 allocations...Grabbed one

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

My mistake. No have not. I have spec the car in the event someone ahead of me drops out when he/she are called to order the car.

What I am saying is though he will sell you the car at MSRP and you will be first to get one his list, he can take the first couple of allocations for himself and sell those car above MSRP. Nothing more than conjecture on my part.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
My mistake. No have not. I have spec the car in the event someone ahead of me drops out when he/she are called to order the car.

What I am saying is though he will sell you the car at MSRP and you will be first to get one his list, he can take the first couple of allocations for himself and sell those car above MSRP. Nothing more than conjecture on my part.
No problem, I was just trying to understand.

It would be interesting to hear whether others who have gotten allocations have actually had their spec'd cars input into the ordering system, paid the full order deposit, and done the ordering paperwork. If I'm understanding my sales guy correctly the ability to do this is what he is waiting for and he has been told by his zone rep that it will happen by tomorrow. Here's hoping...
Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

What full order deposit? I paid to put my name on the list and will not pay any more until the car is delivered.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
What full order deposit? I paid to put my name on the list and will not pay any more until the car is delivered.
I put down a small deposit of $1K to hold my spot on the waiting list. However at the time the actual order is placed a deposit of $5K is required and my understanding is that this is mandated by Porsche. This has been the case with the last 4 Porsches I've purchased. If you paid the $5K up front for the waiting list, then maybe you are already good to go.

OTOH, maybe this is a dealer specific thing as all my cars have been purchased from the same place....
Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

my dealership asks for 1K for the wait list, then 10% when the order is placed and the rest at delivery...
Old 06-27-2013, 03:25 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

Talk about 1st world problems . . . one has to fight just to have the privilege of paying MSRP!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I put down a small deposit of $1K to hold my spot on the waiting list. However at the time the actual order is placed a deposit of $5K is required and my understanding is that this is mandated by Porsche. This has been the case with the last 4 Porsches I've purchased. If you paid the $5K up front for the waiting list, then maybe you are already good to go.

OTOH, maybe this is a dealer specific thing as all my cars have been purchased from the same place....
I did put down a $5000 deposit. My understanding is rest of the payment will be on delivery. FWIW, I NEVER had to put down a deposit to order a new Ferrari.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Nick, 1K to be on the list. 5K to secure spec buildout. The remainder will we the standard new car purchase routine less deposit. If you have the 5K in, you are good to go.
My dealer says the 5K is the standard from Porsche and if one was to cancel after the two weeks spec date and after the factory confirmed build date, you lose the deposit.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile

My dealer told me that they would, and did, receive all GT-3 allocations for the next year. A year presumably being measured from the first GT-3 build date of December 2013 until December 2014 when mine is scheduled. With such a small number being made available, is Porsche afraid they would not sell them all or are they deliberately restricting the number produced to keep customer exclusivity and dealer profitability high? The questions run so deep for such a simple man......
Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dude-
Hi Nick, 1K to be on the list. 5K to secure spec buildout. The remainder will we the standard new car purchase routine less deposit. If you have the 5K in, you are good to go.
My dealer says the 5K is the standard from Porsche and if one was to cancel after the two weeks spec date and after the factory confirmed build date, you lose the deposit.
That fits with my experience....
Old 06-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

And an interesting update... The Penske dealer here in the NorCal South Bay Area told me today that their 4 allocations are all going to be spec'd by the dealer... So no ordering from them. Obviously, that'll result in $170K+ GT3's to sell for max profit (and they'll sell those at those prices no doubt). I don't buy from them anyway, just have my car serviced there, so no loss but found that interesting. I gave away my allocation at another NorCal dealer today because I really want a car with proper seats and at least 500PS (which I promised myself when I upgraded from the '07S to the GT3) AND I don't like to be a guinea pig on first-release cars... Also the hope of a manual 991RS is keeping me alive... I'm almost certain after last week's TH drive, following a friend's 991S PDK, that I DO NOT WANT an automated transmission whatever you call it. What would I do on the racetrack without my manual? It'll be downright boring... I might just keep my beautifully Metzger-powered manual GT3!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Horstair;10571636]And an interesting update... The Penske dealer here in the NorCal South Bay Area told me today that their 4 allocations are all going to be spec'd by the dealer... So no ordering from them. Obviously, that'll result in $170K+ GT3's to sell for max profit (and they'll sell those at those prices no doubt). I don't buy from them anyway, just have my car serviced there, so no loss but found that interesting. I gave away my allocation at another NorCal dealer today because I really want a car with proper seats and at least 500PS (which I promised myself when I upgraded from the '07S to the GT3) AND I don't like to be a guinea pig on first-release cars... Also the hope of a manual 991RS is keeping me alive... I'm almost certain after last week's TH drive, following a friend's 991S PDK, that I DO NOT WANT an automated transmission whatever you call it. What would I do on the racetrack without my manual? It'll be downright boring... I might just keep my beautifully Metzger-powered manual GT3![/QUOTE

Hans' might appreciate his name spelled right. I mean it's kind of obvious. Just sayin...
Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fixed quote below.

Last edited by az audi; 06-27-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: see below.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Horstair. The "guinea pig" thing is a red herring. There's no first release cars with the GT3. Its an "only release" situation. 18-20 month production run (maybe 2000-2500 units worldwide, most likely built in batch runs). Any faults or remedies will be manage after sale side by recalls just like with the 996 GT3/RS, 997GT3/RS and 4.0RS. It sounds like what you really need to wait for is the 991.2 GT3/RS in 2017/18. At this stage I would remain 95% certain the 991 GT3RS will be PDK only. However it will make 500 PS. You may even get 21" wheels as standard and a fugly rear quarter panel! There is some newly released spy footage under the thread "991 GT2" which you may find of interest....

On the contrary. As Im sure we will all learn through the up coming track reviews of the 991 GT3, the PDK-S will really come into its own on the race track. Infact many will find this the tipping point for the automated transmission choice. You will be going way to quickly and having far to much fun to be wanting a MT in that car with the performance it will deliver IMHO.

Just my 2c. Your 2011 GT3 is a great car. Until you get bored with it you should keep it.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
This might be standard for the dealer, but I highly doubt this is standard for Porsche as in many states it is not legal. That said, it does not sound unfair and something I would not have a problem doing.

Quick Reply: Stingy GT-3 allocations...Grabbed one