Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 - just a sportier Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:16 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody is really racing GT3's of any generation. There have been far more C2's and C4's being raced in grand-am etc. So what need is there for a racing motor? Especially one that's hamstringed to make 500 hp. Heck, an LS6 can run for 120-130+ miles and make the same power, but doesn't cost 35k to replace. I would have to think Porsche could not be so short sighted as to produce a motor that doesn't go significantly higher, however one has to question their recent decision making all the way across the board..

A 3.8 liter flat six making 375 hp and revving to 9k rpm is better than anything the mezger has done (with a 3 year warranty). If it's cheaper to replace as well, it's even that much better. All the motor has to do is prove reliable IMO and it's a win. I doubt it hasn't been tested extensively enough for what people will do to them, which is clearly not racing, especially with the 991 GT3 which with a PDK, which hardly anyone is racing, 20" wheels, which no one is racing one and rear stear, which also no one is really racing on. So why the need for a true racing motor to drive to cars n coffee?

The motor now fits the car and peoples use for it. Even if they did build the car right, lightweight with a true manual and no rws, the motor fits. But they better not be trying to charge people 30k to replace one!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So the car that makes more sense to you for "track duties" to replace your Carrera will be a 991 instead of a 991 GT3? I don't understand. Or are you planning to buy a dedicated track car and a street car to replace your 997? Given the price delta between a GT3 and a suitably equipped 991S that you can take to the track, it's hard to see why the 991S would be a better choice.
Poor wording on my side, sorry. What I meant is that 991 Carrera upgrade over 997 Carrera makes more sense as an overall upgrade in generation (not for me, or for track duties), than getting this GT3 over last gen. GT3.

Basically, there are valid arguments (while debatable) as to why 991 is an upgrade over 997... but not the same for GT3.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:46 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by destaccado
Why do we have to wait a year to talk about it? The 2014 Cup Car does not equal the 2014 GT3. If Porsche changes that fact 2 or 5 or 10 years from now we can talk about that then. As of now -- the connection between the Cup car and the GT3 simply doesn't exist.
+1. Exactly.

What they are saying is all company spin to ensure there *will be* some sort of connection in the future. Simply the new engine/platform is not race proven, and may never be. We simply do not know. They will probably test and understand if anything can be integrated. Also, teams must have an ability to rebuild engines, and in this form its simply not possible.

They CLEARLY said, the reason for not using Mezger was *COST*, plain and simple. They said we wanna assemble the engine where we do the 991 engine, hence adding another style of engine would have cost too much, so they just modified the DFI engine and put it in GT3.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by destaccado
I don't believe that's what he's saying.

I believe he's saying the 991 GT3 makes a suitable Carrera replacement -- e.g. if you own a Carrera now the 991 GT3 would be a suitable upgrade as it performs the same roles albeit better...

The 991 GT3 probably is still Porsche's best choice for the track but not nearly as good of a choice as if the 991 GT3 had followed the Cup car route.
Yes, correct. My poor wording there.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Wile I appreciate this bit of historical context.. That's not the question I asked. What makes the mezger engine special, from an engineering perspective? Is th block forged?..nis the material somehow more strong or light? Did the blueprints for this engine get burned and lost forever In a fire?... Is the specific output higher?... Why (outside of historical context like lemans heritage for example) does the engine get bestowed with abilities/durability/performance that the new engine doesn't? Newbie still wondering?
Here... https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...biography.html

Also, Wikipedia.

Last edited by alexb76; 06-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76
991 Carrera upgrade over 997 Carrera makes more sense as an overall upgrade in generation (not for me, or for track duties), than getting this GT3 over last gen. GT3.
If someone has run into the limits of the 997 GT3 platform, it would make sense to move up to the 991 GT3. More power, higher redline, more predictable chassis, PDK, etc. From a performance point of view it's all upside and I believe the difference will be substantial compared to the plain 997.2 GT3 (which is what we should be comparing it to). The new car might not have a "race proven" engine but realistically it should hold up for the 80 or so track events the owners are going to use it for.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:49 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
If someone has run into the limits of the 997 GT3 platform, it would make sense to move up to the 991 GT3. More power, higher redline, more predictable chassis, PDK, etc. From a performance point of view it's all upside and I believe the difference will be substantial compared to the plain 997.2 GT3 (which is what we should be comparing it to). The new car might not have a "race proven" engine but realistically it should hold up for the 80 or so track events the owners are going to use it for.
I think that should say, "if someone has run into their own limits of being able to extract performance form the 997.2, then they should move to the 991 to go faster." There are far, far more people in this bucket. Driving a BMW/GTR at 10/10ths with DCT is pretty easy compared to driving a 997.2 at the limits with a manual.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I think that should say, "if someone has run into their own limits of being able to extract performance form the 997.2, then they should move to the 991 to go faster." There are far, far more people in this bucket. Driving a BMW/GTR at 10/10ths with DCT is pretty easy compared to driving a 997.2 at the limits with a manual.
Absolutely spot-on!

and that's the point... they should target TT to compete with GT-R and include all the nanny gear and for ECU doing the work on the track and leave GT3 alone! It's a much closer platform anyway, Turbo AWD vs. Turbo AWD!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:47 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in my mind the new GT3 has become a GTS.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wrobbin
Experience shows that best time to buy a new Porsche model is not before the facelift stage. Substantial improvements are always effected and new features are introduced with facelift.

buy my car for cash CA
wow that was enlightening.

and please stop posting that dumb link.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 - just a sportier Carrera?