Sponsored by:

991 GT3 - just a sportier Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:50 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76

Race proven and reliable platform. They entered a STOCK GT3 RS in the Nurburgring 24hrs race and they beat dedicated race cars with it. After, they drove it 4hrs on street back home.
Wile I appreciate this bit of historical context.. That's not the question I asked. What makes the mezger engine special, from an engineering perspective? Is th block forged?..nis the material somehow more strong or light? Did the blueprints for this engine get burned and lost forever In a fire?... Is the specific output higher?... Why (outside of historical context like lemans heritage for example) does the engine get bestowed with abilities/durability/performance that the new engine doesn't? Newbie still wondering?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:51 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So the car that makes more sense to you for "track duties" to replace your Carrera will be a 991 instead of a 991 GT3? I don't understand. Or are you planning to buy a dedicated track car and a street car to replace your 997? Given the price delta between a GT3 and a suitably equipped 991S that you can take to the track, it's hard to see why the 991S would be a better choice.
I don't believe that's what he's saying.

I believe he's saying the 991 GT3 makes a suitable Carrera replacement -- e.g. if you own a Carrera now the 991 GT3 would be a suitable upgrade as it performs the same roles albeit better...

The 991 GT3 probably is still Porsche's best choice for the track but not nearly as good of a choice as if the 991 GT3 had followed the Cup car route.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:53 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Wile I appreciate this bit of historical context.. That's not the question I asked. What makes the mezger engine special, from an engineering perspective? Is th block forged?..nis the material somehow more strong or light? Did the blueprints for this engine get burned and lost forever In a fire?... Is the specific output higher?... Why (outside of historical context like lemans heritage for example) does the engine get bestowed with abilities/durability/performance that the new engine doesn't? Newbie still wondering?
Luckily Porsche solved this argument for all of us when they continued using the Mezger block in 2014 -- five years after the initial release of the 9a1. The 9a1 was designed to be a cost-effective street motor that would correct the design defects in the M96/97's -- not to be a costly Motorsport part that needed to be put in the street cars to reduce per-engine cost.

If you want specific differences there's numerous threads on this already -- I suggest the search feature.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Why do we have to wait a year to talk about it? The 2014 Cup Car does not equal the 2014 GT3. If Porsche changes that fact 2 or 5 or 10 years from now we can talk about that then. As of now -- the connection between the Cup car and the GT3 simply doesn't exist.
Since the new GT3 motorsport engine has not appeared yet in production form, it has not met homologation requirements. It may very well be the engine that will appear in the next Cup car but it doesn't technically even exist yet per the regulations.

If Porsche is to believed, it's simply a different paridigm in that the race engine is showing up in the street car first. The connection is there but it's reversed. If that bothers you, then by all means, don't buy the car.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:03 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Since the new GT3 motorsport engine has not appeared yet in production form, it has not met homologation requirements. It may very well be the engine that will appear in the next Cup car but it doesn't technically even exist yet per the regulations.

If Porsche is to believed, it's simply a different paridigm in that the race engine is showing up in the street car first. The connection is there but it's reversed. If that bothers you, then by all means, don't buy the car.
Sorry. I just find it ironic that you make statements like this:

"Regardless, as I said above, if in a year or so from now there is still no link between the race and street car then we'll have something to talk about. Right now it's all speculation. "

...yet every one of your posts involves speculation that no one else has ever even read about...

The only rumored "reports" we have right now are that Porsche has purchased more Mezger blocks. If that's true -- I doubt they bought them to sit and collect dust.

I'll bet whatever amount you'd like that the 2015 Cup uses the Mezger block as well. I like my odds.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:07 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I don't believe that's what he's saying.

I believe he's saying the 991 GT3 makes a suitable Carrera replacement -- e.g. if you own a Carrera now the 991 GT3 would be a suitable upgrade as it performs the same roles albeit better...
You're so argumentative that you feel the need to reply even when I direct a question to someone else!

I don't know what he meant (hence the request for clarification) but what he wrote was: "So, for me, when I come to that decision to get a GT3, mostly for track duties, this definitely won't be it. 991 as replacement for Carrera makes more sense IMO."

Clearly his words indicate that he thinks the 991 makes more sense than a 991 GT3 as a replacement for the Carrera. This is relevant since he owns a 997 and posted earlier that he is thinking of replacing it. Again, I don't know if that's what he meant to say, but it is what he did say.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:11 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

...yet every one of your posts involves speculation that no one else has ever even read about...
You're going to have to be more specific.......
Old 06-11-2013, 03:14 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

You're so argumentative
Touche. Let me know when you're ready to put your money where your mouth is about next year's Cup car.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

You're so argumentative that you feel the need to reply even when I direct a question to someone else!

I don't know what he meant (hence the request for clarification) but what he wrote was: "So, for me, when I come to that decision to get a GT3, mostly for track duties, this definitely won't be it. 991 as replacement for Carrera makes more sense IMO."

Clearly his words indicate that he thinks the 991 makes more sense than a 991 GT3 as a replacement for the Carrera. This is relevant since he owns a 997 and posted earlier that he is thinking of replacing it. Again, I don't know if that's what he meant to say, but it is what he did say.
Actually you're implying that a 991 means a 991 Carrera and not a 991 GT3. He didn't say what you're claiming he did -- he made an ambiguous statement.

The 991 GT3 IS a 991 -- as the 991 Carrera and Carrera S are as well. Why are you assuming he meant 991 Carrera when the rest of the discussion means its more likely he meant the GT3?

I'm guessing your reading comprehension will prove to be the issue here -- not mine.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually you're implying that a 991 means a 991 Carrera and not a 991 GT3. He didn't say what you're claiming he did -- he made an ambiguous statement.

The 991 GT3 IS a 991 -- as the 991 Carrera and Carrera S are as well. Why are you assuming he meant 991 Carrera when the rest of the discussion means its more likely he meant the GT3?

I'm guessing your reading comprehension will prove to be the issue here -- not mine.
deleted.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Mezger is a brilliant engine that had run its course. If anyone here care to explain how you'd be able to get more power out of a 3.8 L NA engine with traditional fuel injection,yet meet tougher and tougher regulations for a street legal car,I'm all ears...!
The rest of the discussion should qualify for this :

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

he made an ambiguous statement.
Now you're getting it. Yes he did make an ambiguous statement, which is why I wrote that I didn't understand his comment and why I asked him to clarify. I'd ask for clarification as to why you felt the need to butt in, but I doubt it would be a particularly enlightening response.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 855 Likes on 582 Posts

Now you're getting it. Yes he did make an ambiguous statement, which is why I wrote that I didn't understand his comment and why I asked him to clarify. I'd ask for clarification as to why you felt the need to butt in, but I doubt it would be a particularly enlightening response.
LOL.

Maybe I'm clueless, but I really don't care if the GT3 has Mezger or not. Or for those that need to say the GT3 has the same engine as a Cup car. As far as I know Mezger is nearing the end of its life and I would have been shocked if Porsche put it in the GT3. Why not drive it and see if its good. Or wait for a year and see if the track guys beat it up and report back on its durability. I'd also have been shocked if Porsche did not up its game to be more modern with technology and so forth. Again, things progress. If you don't like change buy the old stuff.

The guys that are squealing or protesting the most ARE NOT going to buy a GT3 no matter what it looks like. They would have done so already. The outgoing one has everything they want and they still don't have it.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Well at least I was polite about it Mike

Last edited by destaccado; 06-11-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
LOL.

Maybe I'm clueless, but I really don't care if the GT3 has Mezger or not. Or for those that need to say the GT3 has the same engine as a Cup car. As far as I know Mezger is nearing the end of its life and I would have been shocked if Porsche put it in the GT3. Why not drive it and see if its good. Or wait for a year and see if the track guys beat it up and report back on its durability. I'd also have been shocked if Porsche did not up its game to be more modern with technology and so forth. Again, things progress. If you don't like change buy the old stuff.

The guys that are squealing or protesting the most ARE NOT going to buy a GT3 no matter what it looks like. They would have done so already. The outgoing one has everything they want and they still don't have it.
...and why would we expect you to? You adopted the first car with PDK and the 9a1. Why should we have to drive the new car to see if it's good? I reckon a 475hp better handling NA 991 WILL be good. On paper it's already the best appliance Porsche has ever made.

"If you don't like change"

...did you work for Obama's election campaign? Not all change is good.

Last edited by destaccado; 06-11-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 - just a sportier Carrera?