Sponsored by:

Killing the PDK

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:38 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
wanna911, you're trying to create a straw man to knock down. I already said I had no expectation of changing your mind. I also never said my opinion was more valid than anyone elses, which FWIW, cuts both ways.

The reason I brought up my experience with PDK wasn't to prove that PDK was better. It was because you said I was relying on hope and ignoring the obvious that a MT is unquestionably more fun. It's not more obvious at all, to me, and I have a basis for saying so.

To use your own words, your opinion isn't any more valid than mine either. We have a subjective disagreement and I'm perfectly capable of accepting that, but I have my doubts about whether those on your side of this conversation can, since they are invariably the ones who resurrect this poor dead horse.

Please prove me wrong so that we can move on to discussing something that hasn't already been beaten senseless.
Gosh, Mike. How could you possibly know what is fun to you? You've only driven manual transmission cars for forty years and a PDK car for four years. [sarcasm off].

Seriously, I have been driving manual transmission cars for 50 years (since I was 14), and I still love driving my 2010 GT3 (except in traffic!). However, I have an absolute blast driving my 2011 Turbo S, as I did my 2009 C2S w/PDK.

I can understand why a manual transmission car is all some people want, and I can understand why people (including myself) wish Porsche would offer a choice of MT or PDK on the 991 GT3. It's fine to get mad at Porsche for not offering the choice. What I don't understand is why it should bother someone if an individual thinks getting a 991 GT3 with PDK would be fun and would order one that way even given a choice.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Porsche executives claim that if PDK is a mistake they will correct it with the 991GT3RS. Those of you against PDK and demanding MT why don't you contact these executives (both AP and Hatz are on record they will revert back to MT if PDK does not work out) and ask them what will be the criteria in deciding whether PDK is a success in the GT3? Will it be based on sales, journalist reviews or something else? We already know PDK out performs MT by a wide margin in track activities so how will they decide?

In other words, if it means that much to you get proactive and call them on the carpet. It will not matter to those of us who want PDK. From this point forward, Porsche will be offering PDK on their race cars. The battle will be if they make MT available.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:19 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If the RS gets a manual they won't nearly be enough to go around, can't see it happening.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, you just called TTsurgeon lazy because he got bored with pdk and used it in auto. You still found a way to put blame on the person. Lol.

In case you forgot, pdk is fastest in auto where the human cannot mess it up. So by definition in this case pdk at its best is boring.

But its ok for you to call him lazy and for us not to call you the same for being to lazy, slow or uncoordinated to enjoy a manual?

Two way street buddy, two way street.

wanna911, you're trying to create a straw man to knock down. I already said I had no expectation of changing your mind. I also never said my opinion was more valid than anyone elses, which FWIW, cuts both ways.

The reason I brought up my experience with PDK wasn't to prove that PDK was better. It was because you said I was relying on hope and ignoring the obvious that a MT is unquestionably more fun. It's not more obvious at all, to me, and I have a basis for saying so.

To use your own words, your opinion isn't any more valid than mine either. We have a subjective disagreement and I'm perfectly capable of accepting that, but I have my doubts about whether those on your side of this conversation can, since they are invariably the ones who resurrect this poor dead horse.

Please prove me wrong so that we can move on to discussing something that hasn't already been beaten senseless.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

I think many on this board confuse the process of trying to driving fast to driving fast. The fun and difficulty in performance driving is trying to do so at speed not the process of getting to speed.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:28 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nick
I think many on this board confuse the process of trying to driving fast to driving fast. The fun and difficulty in performance driving is trying to do so at speed not the process of getting to speed.

No, euphoria is achieved when driving fast while completing a series of delicate operarions that make the pilot and car more equally responsible for the speed.

What there is is talking about going fast and actually doing it. Those that are actually doing it already dont feel the need for more assistance in doing so mostly. And then those that just enjoy the process do so because it still requires just the right amount of input from the driver. Its a fun technique and nothing computerized can replace it.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
No, euphoria is achieved when driving fast while completing a series of delicate operarions that make the pilot and car more equally responsible for the speed.

What there is is talking about going fast and actually doing it. Those that are actually doing it already dont feel the need for more assistance in doing so mostly. And then those that just enjoy the process do so because it still requires just the right amount of input from the driver. Its a fun technique and nothing computerized can replace it.
I find no joy in doing maneuvers which slow the car. Whether you want to admit it or not that is what a MT does for and to you. Porsche recognizes this as well and decided to move on from a technology standpoint.

Those of you concerned about the process probably will have more fun trying to drive a SLOW car fast. To me slow is slow and nothing I do in trying to drive fast will change that.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:17 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Nominated for most nonsensical post I've ever seen on Rennlist.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

I find no joy in doing maneuvers which slow the car. Whether you want to admit it or not that is what a MT does for and to you. Porsche recognizes this as well and decided to move on from a technology standpoint.

Those of you concerned about the process probably will have more fun trying to drive a SLOW car fast. To me slow is slow and nothing I do in trying to drive fast will change that.
It's also what the PDK paddles do. I move that since all we're worried about is absolute speed we remove those as well...

In fact -- let's remove the steering wheel and make everything automated so that driving is like a rollercoaster. Non-automatic steering is clearly a maneuver which slows the car and therefore should be eliminated as well.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Mike, you just called TTsurgeon lazy because he got bored with pdk and used it in auto. You still found a way to put blame on the person. Lol.

In case you forgot, pdk is fastest in auto where the human cannot mess it up. So by definition in this case pdk at its best is boring.

But its ok for you to call him lazy and for us not to call you the same for being to lazy, slow or uncoordinated to enjoy a manual?

Two way street buddy, two way street.
wanna911, I'd clarify your comment that PDK is fastest in auto mode by saying PDK is fastest in Sport Plus auto mode. However, I guarantee you that neither I, TTSurgeon, or anyone else uses PDK with Sport Plus Auto selected on the street unless they enjoy the engine screaming to redline with every single shift. Sport Plus aside, I find manual mode to be faster than the other auto modes and for sure the most involving of all the modes. If you use it properly, you are upshifting and downshifting as appropriate with every situation. Even with "human involvment" you can select gears more quickly, and the car is ready to respond to throttle input faster and in more situations than is possible with a MT. PDK-S should be even better at this.

I sincerely hope TTsurgeon didn't feel slighted. I said the comment was tongue and cheek and used a smiley face, FCOL! (note smilely face) Seriously, though, I've heard what he suggested before so I don't mean to single out his post. It just seems odd when people say they find PDK boring and unsporty, select the mode that allows the lowest possible level of involvment and sportiness, and then blame the gearbox for the fact that they aren't involved. I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

That was the context of my "lazy" comment. I'm sure your comments about being a lazy, slow, uncoordinated, Starbuck's drinking, C&C attending, old poseur have equal context. They do, right? LOL.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:16 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Actually, Mike, my wife would probably agree that I am lazy, old, uncoordinated, and Starbucks drinking, although I don't think she knows what a poseur is. Despite that, I have always enjoyed a manual as well as using more than "normal" auto modes on my PDK cars.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Heck John, I read in this forum recently that we "old people" can't muster the ability to coordinate our left leg and right arm which is why we buy PDK. What's your secret? Maybe you could post instructions as to how on earth you manage it! LOL.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:47 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Heck John, I read in this forum recently that we "old people" can't muster the ability to coordinate our left leg and right arm which is why we buy PDK. What's your secret? Maybe you could post instructions as to how on earth you manage it! LOL.

My secret is that I learned to drive a "stick", as we called them in those days, in first a dual control '61 Ford driver education car followed by remedial lessons in my uncle's then 17 year old 1947 Mercury. Talk about no electronic driving aids - the '61 Ford even had vacuum-powered wipers.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 PM
wanna911
Race Car

As mentioned, so does pulling the paddles, so I guess you will never use them huh? I'll bet money it's the first thing you do in the car, instantly making yourself look foolish.

The 991 GT3 is already a "slow" car trying to go fast. It's slower than the last generation Corvette, GT-R, Viper ACR, ZR1 just to name a few. When the new ones come out, there will be a whole new group of cars that make the GT3 slower. The gap between these cars and the PDK equipped GT3 is much bigger than any gap between a manual shift and a PDK. Slow is slow, paddles or not.

Let's see some videos of you driving fast since you are so concerned with speed............ Although we already know what to expect. Crickets.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jfr0317
My secret is that I learned to drive a "stick", as we called them in those days, in first a dual control '61 Ford driver education car followed by remedial lessons in my uncle's then 17 year old 1947 Mercury. Talk about no electronic driving aids - the '61 Ford even had vacuum-powered wipers.
My parents always had automatics, so the first stick I drove and learned on was a buddy's early '50's split window VW bug. This was in 1966, and a few years later, after a hand-me-down auto (push button shifter!) Plymouth Belvedere I had my own low mileage '69 Plymouth GTX 440 with Hurst 4 speed. Bit of a power difference between that and the VW stick. The GTX had no engine sapping power steering (LOL!) and steered like a truck. It was fast and exciting, but couldn't hold a candle, even in a straight line, to the iron we drive today.

Quick Reply: Killing the PDK