Sponsored by:

Excellent Panorama Interview "On Three"

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
500 cars had their wheels fall off on track.

Another internet urban legend is born. Only a matter of time before this ends up as fact in someone's blog.....
Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Well everyone had at least 1 or 2 fall off..
Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I just replaced my hubs since my RS has 15,000 track Kilometers. Cost me $6,000. New hubs and bearing are the same as the old ones. The old ones looked to be in perfect shape in spite of all the track miles on slicks. What annoys the hell out of me is that I never had this kind of "maintenance" on my previous Mk1 RS nor my 04 GT3 with five bolt hubs. Arrgh! Haven't got my pano yet, wonder if Pete asked if the new cars have a limited slip which last more than track days ,,,,
Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I just replaced my hubs since my RS has 15,000 track Kilometers. Cost me $6,000. New hubs and bearing are the same as the old ones. The old ones looked to be in perfect shape in spite of all the track miles on slicks. What annoys the hell out of me is that I never had this kind of "maintenance" on my previous Mk1 RS nor my 04 GT3 with five bolt hubs. Arrgh! Haven't got my pano yet, wonder if Pete asked if the new cars have a limited slip which last more than track days ,,,,
Ssshhh Bob. No cold showers here. Let the Kool-aid kids figure it out on their own. It's going to make for great entertainment a year or so down the road.

Last edited by Nizer; 05-16-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:54 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500 cars had their wheels fall off on track.
500 GT3s have been to a track???
Old 05-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Well everyone had at least 1 or 2 fall off..
Preuninger might have been tongue in cheek with his comments, but I fear behind that sarcasm is sincere disdain and contempt for customers.

Ironically, he's also admitting that the 997 centerlocks are a failed design.

Porsche should provide a free retrofit update to the 991 centerlocks.

Cheap for them. Far, far cheaper than one of those cars ever losing a hub and injuring a wealthy person. Imagine the "evisceration by twitter" if a GT3 loses a centerlock while driving a Porsche Club autocross and plows into a crowd.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:52 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great to hear ps is pushing buttons at pano.
well done, pete!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
However, he is at 'Panorama' now and I am concerned how much of a free reign he will be given to be independent, fair-but-critical and continue to pose the needed tough questions...
Greetings Eduardo! Not to worry...and let me be clear...editorial freedom was critical to me in the negotiations. If it wasn't there, I wasn't interested. I do, however, feel that there's a way to approach reporting that is honest, fair, and respectful—and Panorama will strive to do that while giving PCA members useful, interesting, and accurate information. Hopefully, we'll have fun along the way. Best wishes for your surgery, and perhaps I will see you in Carmel?

I wonder if he still dislikes PASM.
Good to see you back in the mix, Frayed. Miss the old avatar! Only ever disliked PASM in its early applications in 997.1 Carrera/GT3/Turbo models. The tuning of the system got better quickly, imho, as is so often the case with Porsche, and eventually was made flat-out brilliant in (among others) 997.1 GT2, 997.2 Carrera GTS, RS 4.0.

Thanks to all for the well wishes. I'm really digging the new gig, and excited for what is just around the corner. There's a lot going on behind the scenes, with a resize/redesign and a tablet-form both in the works. Good stuff, and hopefully you will enjoy it!

pete
Old 05-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I'm really digging the new gig, and excited for what is just around the corner. There's a lot going on behind the scenes, with a resize/redesign and a tablet-form both in the works. Good stuff, and hopefully you will enjoy it!

pete
Looking forward to the changes Pete. Keep up the great work.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:57 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I did not follow Porsche's recommendation on the replacement of the axles on my Centerlock wheels on my 1995 993 GT2 Factory Race Car after 15 Track Hours nor the 30 hour Overhaul Time on my GT2 TT Engine and Transmission. My left rear axle broke on the downhill turn entering the straight at Road Atlanta throwing the car into the wall at 130 MPH and requiring most of the body to be replaced after 40 Hours of racing and a $50K Bill for body and axle replacement. The axles looked perfect when inspected prior to the PCA race. My point is that the internal stress lines that develop after axles are stressed to several hundred foot pounds of stretching Torque then subject to high-speed vertical and horizontal pounding holding 3000 Lbs of car and driver in place with a small diameter spindle at speeds approaching 200 MPH on a race course make breaking inevitable. My Engine went 50 Hours before blowing up while
racing at Watkins Glen. Another $100K for Engine and Tranny OH.
After racing for 24 Hours in the Rolex at Daytona, about the only thing not
requiring replacement or OH on my 911 RSR were the windshield wipers since
it did not rain. The 600 HP Chevy V8 in my vintage Racing 1976 Dekon Monza has a 15 hour expected racing life before overhaul. My point is that if we want to run our cars on the track using 80-95% of their capability, we have to expect FAR higher maintenance and replacement expenses. It is simply a matter of time - and their is nothing to be gained by blaming Porsche for our indulgences.
After 40 years of track activities, I know of nothing made by any other car company that can match the performance of our Porsches at any lower maintenance cost.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I did not follow Porsche's recommendation on the replacement of the axles on my Centerlock wheels on my 1995 993 GT2 Factory Race Car after 15 Track Hours nor the 30 hour Overhaul Time on my GT2 TT Engine and Transmission. My left rear axle broke on the downhill turn entering the straight at Road Atlanta throwing the car into the wall at 130 MPH and requiring most of the body to be replaced after 40 Hours of racing and a $50K Bill for body and axle replacement. The axles looked perfect when inspected prior to the PCA race. My point is that the internal stress lines that develop after axles are stressed to several hundred foot pounds of stretching Torque then subject to high-speed vertical and horizontal pounding holding 3000 Lbs of car and driver in place with a small diameter spindle at speeds approaching 200 MPH on a race course make breaking inevitable. My Engine went 50 Hours before blowing up while
racing at Watkins Glen. Another $100K for Engine and Tranny OH.
After racing for 24 Hours in the Rolex at Daytona, about the only thing not
requiring replacement or OH on my 911 RSR were the windshield wipers since
it did not rain. The 600 HP Chevy V8 in my vintage Racing 1976 Dekon Monza has a 15 hour expected racing life before overhaul. My point is that if we want to run our cars on the track using 80-95% of their capability, we have to expect FAR higher maintenance and replacement expenses. It is simply a matter of time - and their is nothing to be gained by blaming Porsche for our indulgences.
After 40 years of track activities, I know of nothing made by any other car company that can match the performance of our Porsches at any lower maintenance cost.
Insightful and informative. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:32 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Preuninger might have been tongue in cheek with his comments, but I fear behind that sarcasm is sincere disdain and contempt for customers.

Ironically, he's also admitting that the 997 centerlocks are a failed design.

Porsche should provide a free retrofit update to the 991 centerlocks

Cheap for them. Far, far cheaper than one of those cars ever losing a hub and injuring a wealthy person. Imagine the "evisceration by twitter" if a GT3 loses a centerlock while driving a Porsche Club autocross and plows into a crowd.

Post of the year and spot-on.

I had a LONG conversation Wednesday with Andrew Pine of PCNA....among other subjects I asked what is the maintenance schedule and expense to me for CL on a car that is never tracked (ie my car). He said he would get back to me.

I understand the issue re: tracked cars....much greater stress, etc...pay to play. But I do not expect ( and will not) pay for replacement of hubs etc on a street driven car. My first 911 had 180k miles when I sold it and still on the original hubs, wheel bolts etc.

If the design was insufficient to last 100k on a street car then it should be replaced free of charge with the "improved" units.

From RMS leaks to coolant leaks to CL issues I am sick and tired of PAG & PCNA blaming their customers for ****ty cars. I've spent almost $1M on 11 Porsche's in 33+ years. My patience is wearing thin.

Bill
Old 05-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
Post of the year and spot-on.

I had a LONG conversation Wednesday with Andrew Pine of PCNA....among other subjects I asked what is the maintenance schedule and expense to me for CL on a car that is never tracked (ie my car). He said he would get back to me.

I understand the issue re: tracked cars....much greater stress, etc...pay to play. But I do not expect ( and will not) pay for replacement of hubs etc on a street driven car. My first 911 had 180k miles when I sold it and still on the original hubs, wheel bolts etc.

If the design was insufficient to last 100k on a street car then it should be replaced free of charge with the "improved" units.

From RMS leaks to coolant leaks to CL issues I am sick and tired of PAG & PCNA blaming their customers for ****ty cars. I've spent almost $1M on 11 Porsche's in 33+ years. My patience is wearing thin.

Bill
Regarding your comments about driving on the street...

The centerlock system is intended to last the life of the car, if it is not tracked. There is no prescribed maintenance requirement if there is no track time.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

What are the benefit of center locks? Why have them?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:14 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick Reply: Excellent Panorama Interview "On Three"