Sponsored by:

991GT3 US allocations

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The GT3 is a limited run car. It will not occupy the production line for longer than 12-14 months and thus its volume will be limited to between 1400-1800 units IMHO. Nothings changed. Porsche have been VW for a while now and if anything they have been making more low volume models in the last 3 years than ever before (250 Sprt Classic, 4.0 RS, GT2RS x 500 etc). What you will see from Porsche are more mainstream production model variants and maybe some niche ones too. But you wont see a mass volume production of GT3 or RS 991. The distributor in my country is already fighting hand and tooth for 2014 allocation indications and at this time the factory look unlikely to allocate more than 12-15 units over both production runs for a country of 4 million relatively prosperous souls (remember we pay 246,000 USD for a new 991 GT3 here!). I know Singapore is having the same issue and the UK and Australia too. If there is any growth over the production volumes in general it will come from China but likely at the expense of the USA and Europe whose economies arent as bouyant as they were when the 997 GT3 was launched...
I had also heard that it was going to be a limited run. My sources here had said that Canada will likely get 60 cars over the 3 years but even that goes contrary to the last generation which resulted in approx. half as many cars coming to Canada...I think this indicates that Porsche is expecting a higher demand for these cars.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

While it is true eventually we all will get our cars, nevertheless I find the whole process distasteful. Porsche tells the dealers to take deposits without giving an indication how many cars the dealer will get. This is despite the fact that car will be in production in June. US dealers are left to look stupid in trying to answer questions from customers with deposits as to when the can order the car.

When I was buying Ferrari's, I did not need a deposit and was told we have an allocation for the month of whatever. I would spec the car and just before final order was called to confirm the specifications.

If we in the US allow ourselves to be dealt with in this manner then we deserve what we get. To say this is how its done in the past is not an answer.

FWIW, I don't believe for a second that Porsche will limited the production of the GT3. The only limited factor is the number of customers willing to buy the car. They all will get one.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

macca said something interesting
there are MAIN street p cars and LE p cars
when manufacturers made LE models every 10 yrs then it's truly LE.
but limiting things such as 600 rs, xxx speedster etc etc suddenly LE is meaningless.
those who collect AP ROO and PAM know what I speak of. every three days, they come out with a new LE .....
Old 05-15-2013, 05:20 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
While it is true eventually we all will get our cars, nevertheless I find the whole process distasteful. Porsche tells the dealers to take deposits without giving an indication how many cars the dealer will get. This is despite the fact that car will be in production in June. US dealers are left to look stupid in trying to answer questions from customers with deposits as to when the can order the car.
Not true!

Porsche doesn't tell the dealer to take deposits. This is not a PAG issue, it is an individual dealer issue. My dealer doesn't take deposits. They work off a handshake and haven't done me wrong, ever.

Again, what is going on right now is what has always gone on with popular models: wait list, EU getting the first production cars and first allocations, US a few weeks behind EU in allocations.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:41 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick

When I was buying Ferrari's, I did not need a deposit and was told we have an allocation for the month of whatever. I would spec the car and just before final order was called to confirm the specifications.

If we in the US allow ourselves to be dealt with in this manner then we deserve what we get. To say this is how its done in the past is not an answer.

FWIW, I don't believe for a second that Porsche will limited the production of the GT3. The only limited factor is the number of customers willing to buy the car. They all will get one.
I never placed any deposit down for either of my previous 2 GT3's. So I don't know where you getting Porsche is telling dealers to take deposits.
Sounds more like your dealer's BSing you.....
Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
I never placed any deposit down for either of my previous 2 GT3's. So I don't know where you getting Porsche is telling dealers to take deposits.
Sounds more like your dealer's BSing you.....
Some dealers do take deposits to establish priority on their internal waiting list for scarce models. It's not unusual; many here who are waiting for the new GT3 have put down nominal, refundable deposits, even though not all dealers may do it. But it's a dealer thing, not a Porsche thing.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
macca said something interesting
there are MAIN street p cars and LE p cars
when manufacturers made LE models every 10 yrs then it's truly LE.
but limiting things such as 600 rs, xxx speedster etc etc suddenly LE is meaningless.
those who collect AP ROO and PAM know what I speak of. every three days, they come out with a new LE .....
Im a watch guy. Totally understand the AP ROO/PAM analogy. Just about given up on some brands as they have a new LE watch every few months. I just wait for Basel these days then select one watch I like from the new releases and put in an order regardless to whether is LE or mainstream production. the LE thing is just creaming for extra margine mostly IMHO...
Old 05-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Good stuff Macca. The limited dialogue I've had on the topic indicates limited production run for the GT3, not a flooding of the market that carrera gt predicts. And, the initial allocations are indeed scarce.

But I don't really care if I'm thought of as one of the 'first kid on the block' buyers. I'm paying MSRP, as I have my last GT3, which ironically was the second one delivered by my dealer (I'm second again), and I'm ready for some new metal. If I dislike the car, I'll sell it while they are still scarce and come out relatively unscathed. If I like it I'll hold the car and won't really care if PAG works overtime to crank up the assembly line. Production numbers have no impact on how one feels behind the wheel.

That said, it's gonna be an epic ride. Bring it on.
Well said. Game On! This is exactly how I feel about it. The more I read about Porsches new models and about the GT3 the more I get excited by this car. Its looking very good and even better in light of the company its keeping in the model range. In hindsight I suspect it will be the least controversial of the new models.....
Old 05-15-2013, 06:39 PM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys, but I totally agree with Nick. Its beyond me how a company that has already announced a product cannot give its paying customers a lead time which ever that may be.

I did make a deposit with my dealer, non refundable I should point out, to get in line.

I am a business owner and believe me if I had a product in such demand and had customers willing to give me money even though delivery was taking place many months afterwords I would do all in my power to provide a lead time and collect money. Never say no to a customer that wants to give you money.

On the other hand what do they care if they will sell each and everyone of the 991 GT3s which is why they do what they do and how they do it.

Not happy unfortunately.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Not true!

Porsche doesn't tell the dealer to take deposits. This is not a PAG issue, it is an individual dealer issue. My dealer doesn't take deposits. They work off a handshake and haven't done me wrong, ever.

Again, what is going on right now is what has always gone on with popular models: wait list, EU getting the first production cars and first allocations, US a few weeks behind EU in allocations.
If I am not mistaken Porsche wanted deposits on the Carrera GT and now the 918. I cannot say whether it is a dealer decision or PAG in requiring a deposit. Certainly PAG is not discouraging deposits on a car they refuse to let the customer know when he/she can order the car.

Why does the ROW know their allocations and US dealers do not? Again, because it has been that way in the past does not make it right or something we in the US should tolerate. Fortunately, my deposit is refundable and if PAG wants to play games with US customers the we have our options.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Guys. Calm down.

Im a ROW client and although I know my allocation it doesn't make the wait any easier! Ive resigned myself to the fact that the wait is part of the experience of savoring the product when it finally arrives. In the USA you are blessed with exceptional customer service and high levels of expectation. I always love visiting America and that is part of the appeal (an the fact you are all friendly and outgoing). The rest of the world basically live with mixed levels of **** service and high prices. Occasionally we have a win when we are told something before you but it rarely happens!

You are not wrong in what you say but at the same time there is little you can do about it and quite frankly you'll probably get your car not only quicker than me (shipping time to downunder is 2 months!) but also a damn site cheaper and your recalls will be acted on immediately before they filter down to ROW markets. This seems to have also always been the case.

We are buying a game changing product that will be coverted and limited in its production. This anticipation will help you appreciate the car better when it arrives. By then you will know you made a great decision once you have read the reviews after the September product release. Porsche themselves are still ironing out the final details of the overall allocations across both calendar production years and I think they have been somewhat surprised by demand. Im sure they are busy in meetings with suppliers trying to nail down quantities for components and schedules for just in time delivery. Many components are unique to the GT3 and will be made in numbers of only a few thousand units (very small for companies such as Bosche etc).

I say roll with it. Some markets like NZ and Australia still don't have pricing and yet the books are full! Life could be worse, you are blessed with the privilege and ability to order a brand new generation GT3. Savour it...
Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Since the GT3 is now on the production line with the Carrera there's no practical limitation on production volume.
997 GT3 was on same production too. Not sure about the carrera and the gt3 engine production though?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
997 GT3 was on same production too. Not sure about the carrera and the gt3 engine production though?
From what AP has said in various interviews, engine production for the Mezger was done apart from the new partially-automated engine facility for the 9A1 cars. Now all engines, including those for the Turbo and GT3 will be built at this facility. But even when I visited the factory back in 2009, I saw Carreras and GT cars assembled and mated to their engines on the same line, just as you say.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:21 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toplabels
Sorry guys, but I totally agree with Nick. Its beyond me how a company that has already announced a product cannot give its paying customers a lead time which ever that may be.

I did make a deposit with my dealer, non refundable I should point out, to get in line.

I am a business owner and believe me if I had a product in such demand and had customers willing to give me money even though delivery was taking place many months afterwords I would do all in my power to provide a lead time and collect money. Never say no to a customer that wants to give you money.

On the other hand what do they care if they will sell each and everyone of the 991 GT3s which is why they do what they do and how they do it.

Not happy unfortunately.
WOW..what a courageous man you are! Coming as a 991 GT3 buyer here and critisizing something..so far only the "old 997 guys" were doing this..

But you are fully correct, what you are critisizing is Porsche´s behaviour to the customer..(this is not at all related to the car)..words about "shut up..and grandma´s" are just the top of the iceberg.

Things can only improve if we mention them here...
All the best,
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM
mgent
Instructor

Your Ferrari experience I believe to be unique as well... Depending on your relationship with a dealer, model you are buying, and luck it can take 2m to get a car, or 2+yrs, and you may never get it... I've had some bad experiences with this with attempted early purchases, however once a few cars were bought from a single dealer, and the relationship developed, now we're early on the list...

I've never had this issue with Porsche - I walk in, I order what I want, they know I'm serious, and I get it... much easier...

Quick Reply: 991GT3 US allocations