Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Article regarding he death of manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013 | 04:11 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Good point...but why wouldn't Porsche make it 'an option' to try it out before purchase if it wanted to make the case for the 991 gt3? In North America, for example, all PCNA would have to do is announce a 991 gt3 test drive day at Barber's Sport Driving School in Alabama with Cass Whitehead and his fellow instructors, put a price on it ($1800) and challenge the 'doubters' to come drive it at the track before they buy! The same test drive program could be offered on the Porsche Sport Driving Schools in Australia, England, Germany, etc! This 'gt3 intro' would be different that the courses where they have previously offered students where they drive gt3's, which required attendance at all the entry levels courses and was intended more as a 'Master' or 'Advance' program. No, let anyone attend it and just let the instructor judge how fast they will let him drive it according to his driving skill level! It is just to give folks a 'taste' of the new 991 gt3's capabilities and see if they would be interested in purchasing such a vehicle afterwards! Let's see if Porsche has the 'imagination' to offer such a program! It would be a great education for all concerned!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado
If they are selling every GT3 they can produce there would be no need for test drives. However, your idea has merit. When I was in the Ferrari family, they made available to me the California (new and before production) to drive for a day. I took them up on the offer but was not persuaded to buy one.
Old 06-02-2013 | 05:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
If they are selling every GT3 they can produce there would be no need for test drives. However, your idea has merit. When I was in the Ferrari family, they made available to me the California (new and before production) to drive for a day. I took them up on the offer but was not persuaded to buy one.

As soon as I see GT3's hold up at Sebring for a few months and they put the right seats in, I will ask for a day long test drive.
Old 06-02-2013 | 05:59 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

I just heard about the upcoming Porsche electronic feature called PAL (Porsche Automatische Lenkung or Porsche Automatic Steering).

When combined with the PDK (Porsche Dupple Kupplung) and PAB (Porsche Aktives Bremsen, Porsche Active Braking), PASM, PTV+, PCCB...you can just get in in the car and buckle up (you still have to buckle your own seat belts! ) select the name of your favorite driver from the PCM and the car will just do identical laptimes as your driver!!
Old 06-02-2013 | 06:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911rox
Thanks Mike... A fair way to go yet to match Luke's times with consistency and then I've still gotta improve my inputs to minimise SC interventions...

Fair call on your part. I'm not against pdk and hope to one day have the opportunity to try one out on track to see for myself how engaging it can be. I just wouldn't spend the kind of many one costs here to find out and as I'm sure is the case there, try before you buy really isn't an option here, especially on track...
FWIW, I have zero concern about what PDK-S will be like in the new car. I have plenty of experience across the board with "old" PDK, and with the changes they've made the new iteration can only be better from a sporting standpoint. That said, I understand why some may be leery of jumping in without trying it first.
Old 06-02-2013 | 06:10 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by utkinpol
here is what I think. PDK is an awesome technology.
As soon as I will understand how to repair this transmission, how much it will cost to replace its clutches, how much it will cost to buy new gears I will buy one.

on a positive side GT Gears already made LSDs for PDK as I understand so with time hopefully it will be as common as a manual gearbox. It is just a regular customer is not a racing team, you cannot just presume that the only way to repair this PDK unit it to get a complete new assembly from a factory. It is how they deal with it right now if problem arises and I really do not want that for my future out of warranty car. Other than that - it is a very good transmission.
I do not think we will see service parts for the PDk for the foreseeable future. Just as they did with the 997 and 996 MT they will wait 5 years or more before they sell service parts, if ever.

We of made an LSD because of the demands of racers. Motorsports determines every major decision at my company. And with the PDk LSD we have the same problem we had with the 997 MT, no bearings as a service part. We are having to make custom bearings for the future when racers wear them out. In the short term we reuse stock bearings on install of our replacement LSD.
Old 06-02-2013 | 06:18 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Igooz
I just heard about the upcoming Porsche electronic feature called PAL (Porsche Automatische Lenkung or Porsche Automatic Steering).

When combined with the PDK (Porsche Dupple Kupplung) and PAB (Porsche Aktives Bremsen, Porsche Active Braking), PASM, PTV+, PCCB...you can just get in in the car and buckle up (you still have to buckle your own seat belts! ) select the name of your favorite driver from the PCM and the car will just do identical laptimes as your driver!!

hahaha, that was a good one.

select name of your favorite driver.....
Old 06-03-2013 | 12:33 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Good point...but why wouldn't Porsche make it 'an option' to try it out before purchase if it wanted to make the case for the 991 gt3? In North America, for example, all PCNA would have to do is announce a 991 gt3 test drive day at Barber's Sport Driving School in Alabama with Cass Whitehead and his fellow instructors, put a price on it ($1800) and challenge the 'doubters' to come drive it at the track before they buy! The same test drive program could be offered on the Porsche Sport Driving Schools in Australia, England, Germany, etc! This 'gt3 intro' would be different that the courses where they have previously offered students where they drive gt3's, which required attendance at all the entry levels courses and was intended more as a 'Master' or 'Advance' program. No, let anyone attend it and just let the instructor judge how fast they will let him drive it according to his driving skill level! It is just to give folks a 'taste' of the new 991 gt3's capabilities and see if they would be interested in purchasing such a vehicle afterwards! Let's see if Porsche has the 'imagination' to offer such a program! It would be a great education for all concerned!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado
Hey Eduardo,

with the 997.2, PCA here showed initiative and hosted a test day for prospective owners. The only problem was that it was a very pricey affair, approx $2500.00 IIRC plus airfares and accommodation as the event was in Queensland. they had 2 cars available and 24 spots so as you can see, its a lot to spend for maybe 20-30 min of seat time... It would be great if they made one available at the track days they host locally instead of all the boxsters, caymans and panameras which they are trying to promote...

In reality, due to the limited numbers of these cars, you've often got to pay to play, often sight unseen. The 997.2, I was happy to do this for, the new breed I'd have to drive to be won over and I'd wait until Trakcar (Pete) has flogged the crap out of it at Sebring for a year for true durability testing before parting with a further $300+k
Old 06-03-2013 | 03:45 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

chris, i went to the 7.2 day at queensland raceway - was fantastic!
had luffy as my instructor, got plenty of seat time as they had 3 cars there.
price was $2k inclusive of accommodation, food, and transfers.
Old 06-03-2013 | 06:42 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Champ, I don't remember you mentioning you'd gone but you would have had an awesome day! It was great of PCA to even host the event... By that point, my mind was made up, an expression of interest order placed in 2008 was now locked in and the car had been specced as it was exactly what I wanted based on the 997.1 they'd given me to drive on a couple of days... I was saving my pennies for tyres and track time following the pending delivery...

With the new car, if PCM bring one to PI at future track events, I'll request a drive. I doubt I'd be willing to pay $2+k for the privilege when its so far from what I want on paper at least...
Old 06-03-2013 | 07:17 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

You forgot the PAAS - Porsche Active Acceleration System. It uses the latest technology to scan the surroundings and also works with PDK, PAB, PAL and PCCB to select the right acceleration amount, to improve your lap times. Also great on the public streets and in traffic. Recommended by Mr. Grannies-drive-paddles Preuninger and the good ole Mr. I-work-for-Porsche-instead-of-retirement Röhrl.
Also, when you select all these optional systems you get a complementary massage driving seat specifically developed to allow a relaxed lotus-position, as well as a built-in yoga music producer and incense smoke generator, so that you can get out of the car relaxed and calm after you have shown the best lap time of the day. Porsche 911 "Om!" Edition.
Old 06-03-2013 | 07:19 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by GTgears
I do not think we will see service parts for the PDk for the foreseeable future. Just as they did with the 997 and 996 MT they will wait 5 years or more before they sell service parts, if ever.

We of made an LSD because of the demands of racers. Motorsports determines every major decision at my company. And with the PDk LSD we have the same problem we had with the 997 MT, no bearings as a service part. We are having to make custom bearings for the future when racers wear them out. In the short term we reuse stock bearings on install of our replacement LSD.
They will probably do like Nissan with GT-R - no separate transmission parts sold. It is either you buy whole shabang or you take a bus, your choice.
Old 06-03-2013 | 08:27 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
You forgot the PAAS - Porsche Active Acceleration System. It uses the latest technology to scan the surroundings and also works with PDK, PAB, PAL and PCCB to select the right acceleration amount, to improve your lap times. Also great on the public streets and in traffic. Recommended by Mr. Grannies-drive-paddles Preuninger and the good ole Mr. I-work-for-Porsche-instead-of-retirement Röhrl.
Also, when you select all these optional systems you get a complementary massage driving seat specifically developed to allow a relaxed lotus-position, as well as a built-in yoga music producer and incense smoke generator, so that you can get out of the car relaxed and calm after you have shown the best lap time of the day. Porsche 911 "Om!" Edition.
Yes!!! You are right! I knew that I had missed something...the point is that for an average driver like me, the laptimes will as good as Herr Röhrl and I can just sit back in the car and catch some snooze with the PSS (Porsche Schlafen Sitz, Porsche Sleeping Seat)! Can't wait!

Ok - sorry...I know that this is a serious thread!

Last edited by Igooz; 06-03-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-03-2013 | 09:32 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Yes!!! You are right! I knew that I had missed something...the point is that for an average driver like me, the laptimes will as good as Herr Röhrl and I can just sit back in the car and catch some snooze with the PSS (Porsche Schlafen Sitz, Porsche Sleeping Seat)! Can't wait!

Ok - sorry...I know that this is a serious thread!
Porsche Schlafensitz, hehe, you crack mich up, Kamerad!
Old 06-03-2013 | 09:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I'd pay $1000 + insurance for a day to take it for a test drive at Sebring.

After a day or weekend at the track I would have my answer;
Keep my deposit for RS when they announce PDK only or ask for a refund?
Old 06-03-2013 | 09:58 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Agreed Pete! Hell, I'd pay $2k here for a whole day, considering it costs just shy of $1k just to thrash my own car around PI. Once you've smashed one around Sebring for a year, I'll then consider it proven and purchase worthy if the pdk appeals!

Quick Reply: Article regarding he death of manual