Sponsored by:

Article regarding he death of manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:18 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The 997.2 GT2 with manual has launch control...
I am aware, I was being sarcastic. Several manual cars have launch control. Justvannoyed that is never mentioned in these acceleration comparos.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

All smoke and mirrors. The reality is that today's youth care far less about cars than their predecessors, which leaves high-end car manufacturers chasing an aging demographic. Automatic transmissions are far kinder to artificial and/or arthritic joints....
Old 05-24-2013, 04:45 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
All smoke and mirrors. The reality is that today's youth care far less about cars than their predecessors, which leaves high-end car manufacturers chasing an aging demographic. Automatic transmissions are far kinder to artificial and/or arthritic joints....
Exactly, Car manufactueres CEO´s biggest concern is how to sell still cars in the future to young people..as these buy less and less cars. No wonder VW and others are buying up "car sharing" companies...
Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

WOW, you really harbor hostility toward Porsche. One would think you are a race car driver and by Porsche taking away your manual you are losing your livelihood. Then again, maybe you believe that.

Look you made your point; move on. There is a possibility the RS will be offered in manual but the odds are very slim since the car basically was built with PDK in mind. Wait until then.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
WOW, you really harbor hostility toward Porsche. One would think you are a race car driver and by Porsche taking away your manual you are losing your livelihood. Then again, maybe you believe that.

Look you made your point; move on. There is a possibility the RS will be offered in manual but the odds are very slim since the car basically was built with PDK in mind. Wait until then.
Simply stating fact. It's easy to find the supporting data if you care to do your homework. Sorry you interpret it as hostility.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

I understand your frustration but do you really believe your above quote? Do you realize the most race cars use the PDK type transmissions? You believe their drivers are old and suffer arthritic pain and have artificial joints?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
I understand your frustration but do you really believe your above quote? Do you realize the most race cars use the PDK type transmissions? You believe their drivers are old and suffer arthritic pain and have artificial joints?
Most race cars use a single-clutch sequential not a "PDK type" dual clutch transmission. Note: this is a non-hostile response.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Most race cars use a single-clutch sequential not a "PDK type" dual clutch transmission. Note: this is a non-hostile response.
If there is a clutch pedal it is only used for starts. During the race, clutch is not used. Same affect as a PDK.

BTW, I don't believe you are hostile to the members of this board when you post. You should allay your animus toward Porsche until which time you have had an opportunity to ride in or drive the GT3. If you are open minded, you may be pleasantly surprised. Oops, I am starting to sound like AP.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

At 63, I think I'm the demographic Nizer is referring to. Of course I've got all the joints I was born with, am not arthritic, walk and carry my own clubs 4 rounds a week, and my physical condition or ability to drive stick had nothing to do with choosing PDK the last time around. Why, by cracky, I can even climb into and out of my sport bucket seat and buckle my own harness without assistance!

The idea that the world's high end sports car manufacturers are making the needs of physically diminished individuals a primary consideration in the design of their product, rather than other things like performance, fuel economy, emissions regs, and in general providing the latest tech that the majority of their customers demand, may have merit. But I have my doubts.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You kidding right, how would thatnwork
Originally Posted by GrantG
The 997.2 GT2 with manual has launch control...
New Viper has LC also. Allan
Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pdk is done for cafe standards and to look good in spec sheets in magazines.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

How does launch control work in a manual?
It only gives you max traction in first? Or it's basically traction control in all gears compensating for less than perfect shift, maybe soften shocks?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
How does launch control work in a manual?
It only gives you max traction in first? Or it's basically traction control in all gears compensating for less than perfect shift, maybe soften shocks?
The manual LC features in cars like the Audi R8 and ZR1 work by engaging the appropriate mode, depressing the clutch, selecting 1st, and flooring the throttle. Engine speed is controlled to a certain RPM and then the clutch is smoothly released with wheelspin limited by the LC system. Pretty sure the LC features only apply in first gear.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:47 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
At 63, I think I'm the demographic Nizer is referring to. Of course I've got all the joints I was born with, am not arthritic, walk and carry my own clubs 4 rounds a week, and my physical condition or ability to drive stick had nothing to do with choosing PDK the last time around. Why, by cracky, I can even climb into and out of my sport bucket seat and buckle my own harness without assistance!

The idea that the world's high end sports car manufacturers are making the needs of physically diminished individuals a primary consideration in the design of their product, rather than other things like performance, fuel economy, emissions regs, and in general providing the latest tech that the majority of their customers demand, may have merit. But I have my doubts.
If you accept AP’s comments to EVO at face value, the reason for computer-controlled shifting, computer-controller RWS, PTV, etc., is to reduce the performance gap between pro drivers and the average Joe. It’s the same reason Nissan loaded up the GTR with electronic driving aids, and other manufacturers are following the same trend. As cars move to higher and higher horsepower levels and faster lap times, and as Porsche sells cars to a more diverse clientele, these aids will become more important for actualizing performance potential and preserving some degree of safety. I’m not crazy about the trend, but I can see their rationale for doing it. I’ll forgive them for it if the car turns out to be a hoot, which I expect it will be.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by fbirch
If you accept AP’s comments to EVO at face value, the reason for computer-controlled shifting, computer-controller RWS, PTV, etc., is to reduce the performance gap between pro drivers and the average Joe. It’s the same reason Nissan loaded up the GTR with electronic driving aids, and other manufacturers are following the same trend. As cars move to higher and higher horsepower levels and faster lap times, and as Porsche sells cars to a more diverse clientele, these aids will become more important for actualizing performance potential and preserving some degree of safety. I’m not crazy about the trend, but I can see their rationale for doing it. I’ll forgive them for it if the car turns out to be a hoot, which I expect it will be.
I think that's a fair assessment and it makes more sense to me than that Porsche is designing GT3's for the artificial joint demographic.

Quick Reply: Article regarding he death of manual