Sponsored by:

Projected Hockenheim Lap time

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Great video. The last 2.5 minutes cover the facts in a nutshell and run a rolling drag to illustrate how two evenly matched cars are nose to nose until each shift gives the PDK a few feet.

The pro driver with a current 911 championship to his credit makes several points in favor of PDK over a standard double-h shift pattern and probably over a Cup sequential box even with blip shift and an over-rev safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Ogqhchw#t=824s

Anyway. Now I'm just itching for the next six months till they build a couple of thousand of the things and finally get around to building the one I've ordered.
I agree, but like BGB they are paying them to promote their PDK race cars. BGB is really correct guys and pioneering PDK in races, with no help at all from Porsche, but just sain'

I think Mike has said his piece on the subject. It would be interesting to see you debate your perspective with the guys in the Race & DE forum -- they tend to have opinions on what's fast and what's imagined.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...tion-forum-65/
I saw mostly boost in wanna991's drag race video. Wanna991 has a risky dink Turbo thingy stripped out and it would laps any new GT3 in a session, but that did not prove any point,,except power and weight is what it is all about. Not PDK and the rest of the P alfabet.

We are crazy, the guys in the racing and de section are psychopaths.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter, the same theory applies to NA. I'll see if I can dig up old videos of Jenk and I racing his 996 GT3 vs his M6. He drove it, and the half car length per shift applied. At the time, I had my 427 C5 Corvette which is how I learned to shift fast. Even though the M6 was a faster car, I could keep up with it in the GT3 until we got to the top end where the M's are super strong. The hardest was the 2nd to 3rd shift, after that, there is only a couple feet gained on my shifts. It's on an external hard drive though and I have to find it.

And anyone who's driven a 996 GT3 knows it has no torque and you lose a LOT of momentum off throttle. Meanwhile the M6 has super quick shifts and uninterupted power delivery as well.

My Turbo has a cup clutch in it. Well if you know anything about the cup clutches you know they lose rpm off throttle like nobodies business. And I have a not short - factory 996 short shifter and you have to deal with turbo spool and all that. My car does not do slow shifts.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Crap first I find out he's famous a year after I meet the man now I find out he has M6. At least he upgraded to a CL63 than learned to drive a GT3 ;-)

Got your point.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Wanna911 did you keep the AWD in your Turbo?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I agree, but like BGB they are paying them to promote their PDK race cars. BGB is really correct guys and pioneering PDK in races, with no help at all from Porsche, but just sain'

I saw mostly boost in wanna991's drag race video. Wanna991 has a risky dink Turbo thingy stripped out and it would laps any new GT3 in a session, but that did not prove any point,,except power and weight is what it is all about. Not PDK and the rest of the P alfabet.

We are crazy, the guys in the racing and de section are psychopaths.
Just curious -- BGB? Who's payin' who? Does Paunch "subsidize" privateers for things like bringing PDK to race cars?

ps. "Wanna991" ... nicely done.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Crap first I find out he's famous a year after I meet the man now I find out he has M6. At least he upgraded to a CL63 than learned to drive a GT3 ;-)

Got your point.
He sold the M6 before he got the CLK Black. Jenk has had quite a few nice cars! We used to go to mexico to test them out. I think we ran both his 996 and 997.1 GT3's vs his modded M6. We ran my Turbo vs my Turbo 427 C5 coupe and various combinations in between. Good times.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Wanna911 did you keep the AWD in your Turbo?
No, took it out. Hard to get weight out of them they start off at 3500 lbs. And NASA imposes a ~50hp penalty for AWD in my class.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911

No, took it out. Hard to get weight out of them they start off at 3500 lbs. And NASA imposes a ~50hp penalty for AWD in my class.
Ok thanks I was just wondering because way way in the back of my mind I have this thought maybe someday years from now I'd get a used TurboS PDK car and was wondering what you thought of AWD on the track for a de guy.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Just curious -- BGB? Who's payin' who? Does Paunch "subsidize" privateers for things like bringing PDK to race cars?

I believe Porsche doesnt actually approve of what BGB is doing. Maybe John will chime in?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dez, i miss those days of going to mexico to test out the cars, haha.

i remember driving the turbo when you 1st had it vs the vette and it didnt stand a chance, haha
Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry off topic, this is for peter... this was years ago!!!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:40 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by mdrums
Ok thanks I was just wondering because way way in the back of my mind I have this thought maybe someday years from now I'd get a used TurboS PDK car and was wondering what you thought of AWD on the track for a de guy.

I tracked my TT for 3.5 years AWD and loved every minute of it. Mid corner speed was not as good due to understeer, but you could negate that with earlier flat foot on exit with AWD confidence. Also tracks like Barber (you have driven there right?) coming up over Turn 4 and over tunnel turn you keep it flat without thinking twice, even with 500 ft/lbs, AWD confidence. I would still have AWD were it not for NASA's penalty on it.

However I love RWD too and the gap between the two is very small. But is much more fun on the edge, and takes more concentration, but is easier to tune, has more top end due to lack of AWD mechanical drag and lighter. Miss some of that weight in the front though.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Thanks Wanna... Yep I've driven Barber, really like that track a lot. Thanks for the AWD info
Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Sensational GT3 Times here:
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/hockenheim_short.html
Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

CGT, I may have meant that the driver was a paid driver to say what he said that day. I just type stuff.

Originally Posted by jenk12m
dez, i miss those days of going to mexico to test out the cars, haha.

i remember driving the turbo when you 1st had it vs the vette and it didnt stand a chance, haha
Mexico?! Testing cars? Sounds risky business to me LOl.

Originally Posted by jenk12m
sorry off topic, this is for peter... this was years ago!!!

Thanks for that, I like the cars you buy. X6M a bit iffy but nice for wife! I never got the look of the M6, but the new ones look great to me. I love everything AMG :-)
How's the Jag holding up?

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
This is not real? It is projected!!

Quick Reply: Projected Hockenheim Lap time