Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I won't get into an argument about whether MT's are a bigger part of Porsche tradition than air cooled engines, or whether they contribute more to the Porsche experience; that's purely subjective. This is fact, however: if anyone thinks the switch over from air to water cooling wasn't a huge deal, and for some folks the end of Porsche as we knew it, you either weren't a Porsche owner at the time, or you just weren't paying attention.
+1
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I don't know I see no common relation to air cooled vs having a manual & clutch pedal. Having a pedal forces you to change gears and think about what gear your in and where you want to go. Air cooling doesn't change the way you drive it. Also how good is air cooling in today's stop and go traffic on a blistering hot day. I can recall Porsches catching fire in because it. Heck my computer cpu is liquid cooled.
Originally Posted by wanna911
+1 no relation. Air cooling has no affect on the drivers relationship with the car.

Air cooling is about the same as the headlight issue.

Like I've said before, a lumping all car improvements into a pile as if they are categorically similar in their affect on the driving experience is nonsense.
Air-cooling was/is more uniquely Porsche than 6MT; as for involvement, the noise is a bit more mechanical/insistent than the water-cooled engines (even the Mezger), which some people like.

No cooling issues in Atlanta traffic for me.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts

The Porsche dealers across the country are ultimately who sold us out. The "voice" of the customer to Porsche is effectively our dealers, and I found out from my local dealer that they were all given a "questionnaire" from Porsche about the manual transmission and how the customer would react to it going away in the GT3.

The majority of dealers basically told Porsche not to worry about, and that they could sell more cars if it was PDK only, for no more reason than that they wanted to also sell more cars via the double clutch. It was greed on the part of all our dealers who ultimately sold us out. This came straight from the GM of my local dealer. Pretty upsetting actually.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't get into an argument about whether MT's are a bigger part of Porsche tradition than air cooled engines, or whether they contribute more to the Porsche experience; that's purely subjective. This is fact, however: if anyone thinks the switch over from air to water cooling wasn't a huge deal, and for some folks the end of Porsche as we knew it, you either weren't a Porsche owner at the time, or you just weren't paying attention.
"if anyone thinks the switch over from air to water cooling wasn't a huge deal".. well..at that time the www was just starting...and I think there was no rennlist either.

Besides, you know very well that Porsche was using water cooled already for 928, 944 etc..plus - and more importantly in all its dominant racing cars..since the middle-late seventies..

So- you see - Im paying attention..
Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Mvez
The Porsche dealers across the country are ultimately who sold us out. The "voice" of the customer to Porsche is effectively our dealers, and I found out from my local dealer that they were all given a "questionnaire" from Porsche about the manual transmission and how the customer would react to it going away in the GT3.

The majority of dealers basically told Porsche not to worry about, and that they could sell more cars if it was PDK only, for no more reason than that they wanted to also sell more cars via the double clutch. It was greed on the part of all our dealers who ultimately sold us out. This came straight from the GM of my local dealer. Pretty upsetting actually.
This is indeed upsetting..but - I never received such a questionnaire..and besides I doubt that most 997 GT3 owners would have said "YES" to the question :" would you like the next GT3 to be only PDK"..its like asking a republican - will you vote next time democrat ?

Strange story..by the way, the dealers have no share in this..Porsche just itself decides what they want to do. In todays times dealers are not asked for anything ..on the contrary...they are forced to do things..all they can do is "obey the orders"..and I know dealers GMs too...
Old 03-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
"if anyone thinks the switch over from air to water cooling wasn't a huge deal".. well..at that time the www was just starting...and I think there was no rennlist either.

Besides, you know very well that Porsche was using water cooled already for 928, 944 etc..plus - and more importantly in all its dominant racing cars..since the middle-late seventies..

So- you see - Im paying attention..
I knew you would be, andreas. Yes, Porsche used water cooling in the 944 and 928 but to a lot of purists those cars weren't "real" Porsches either. It was an entirely different thing when the quintessential Porsche, the 911, went to water cooling; a much bigger deal than the lack of a MT option on the GT3.

Believe it or not, people communicated with each other before Rennlist, including on the internet. The www was already going pretty good in the 90's; although you were still in grade school and probably don't remember when a 14.4KB dial-up modem was considered "fast".
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

First 991 mod pictured below

Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Slowekistan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably don't remember when a 14.4KB dial-up modem was considered "fast".
These young punks, what do they know about the internet? With 28.8kbps the purist internet feel was lost. Now, you press a button and it all works...pffff

Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Slowekistan
These young punks, what do they know about the internet? With 28.8kbps the purist internet feel was lost. Now, you press a button and it all works...pffff

Absolutely. I feel much less involved now than when I had to sit and watch photos download line by line......

Old 03-28-2013, 02:40 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Absolutely. I feel much less involved now than when I had to sit and watch photos download line by line......

I never had that problem. I supplied it at the time. My issue was all the modem upgrades were cutting into any profit.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I never had that problem. I supplied it at the time. My issue was all the modem upgrades were cutting into any profit.
Maybe you had ideal conditions. Line by line is a bit of an exaggeration, but not too much. In the '80's and early '90's and the days of V.22, V.26, and V.32 on a mediocre dial up connection that was very nearly the case. As a telcom engineer I received frequent complaints from customers re: bad circuit quality and resultant poor download times, and experienced them myself.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At my first 'computer' (DP/IT/IS) position (1980), remote support was handled via dial-up modems running at 300 baud - only about 5% of the customers were willing to pay for the 'fast' 1200 baud modems.

Pictures would have been out of the question. Thankfully, none of the terminals could handle it.

While the internet existed, there wasn't much to 'see'.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:39 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone really think that driving a PDK equipped GT3 will be more fun to drive than a manual, especially on the street and isn't that what it's really all about.

Last edited by BG; 03-30-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by BG
Does anyone really think that driving a PDK equipped GT3 will be more fun to drive than a manual, especially on the street and isn't that what it's all about.
I guess you can't imagine any modern Ferrari being fun to drive on the street either?

Seriously, I've driven manuals for 40 years. I've driven a PDK Carrera S for 4, both for autox and on the street. Especially in manual mode, and when you spend some time with it and learn what it can do in a variety of situations, PDK is absolutely as much fun as any MT car I've ever owned. I expect the new GT3 PDK mated to that 475HP 9K RPM engine will be a blast to drive on the street.

Quick Reply: The first I hate that the new GT3 doesnt have a clutch thread