Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013 | 01:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Yes. Believe me, it is true. It is awesome and it never upsets the car during up or down shifts. It is crazy good.

PS- if somehow it is in the wrong gear, it can bust up or down a gear in a flash.
Look forward to experience a PDK-S, but I'm not hopeful. Every flappy thing I drive was kinda boring or did not work as well as I hoped. Sure down shift blips are cool, but if I do it I think its even cooler.

I have not driven flappy's enough laps or hard enough to know for sure, I guess I hope to drive one before the RS arrives. 1st in line, made the deposit yesterday.
Old 02-20-2013 | 01:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

You are underestimating the PDK. Here's how it works in real-life:

Press "Sport Plus" button.
Drive on track.

Rinse/repeat.

Manually shifting a PDK is just mental masturbation. Do it only if you are bored or want to go slower. No joke. Between a C4S SPASM and the Spyder I've got 10-12 track days in a PDK. It's great and you can't decide better than it can what gear to be in or when to shift.
Agree completely. Autox is my thing now, and I always use PDK in Sport Plus on course. For the street I like to use manual mode and pick my own shift points, but if you really want to go fast, auto/sport plus is the ticket.

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Great point, but I think most of us harbor the illusion of pro level talent
Also agree completely.
Old 02-20-2013 | 01:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

You are underestimating the PDK. Here's how it works in real-life:

Press "Sport Plus" button.
Drive on track.

Rinse/repeat.

Manually shifting a PDK is just mental masturbation. Do it only if you are bored or want to go slower. No joke. Between a C4S SPASM and the Spyder I've got 10-12 track days in a PDK. It's great and you can't decide better than it can what gear to be in or when to shift.
+1 on using full auto mode on DCT transmissions. There's really no need to use the manual mode when the computer does it perfectly for you. The s-sport auto mode in my old Evo shifted perfectly everytime. I never used the paddle shifters at the track. On the highway/street you'll want to use manual sometimes since the computer can't calculate the randomness of street driving. However, on the track, it knows exactly what to do.
Old 02-20-2013 | 01:40 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I like it But; for the track I think the bRZ falls apart, as a DD I think it muct be a blast, you dont even need the STI one..
It will be for DD only, just something fun to bash around in and not worry about parking a mile away in parking lots.

The STi is rumored to be even lighter, NA w/ ~220-230hp, bigger brakes, upgraded suspension and aero. If they don't offer it, you can still buy STi performance parts like wheels, aero, etc. from the dealer starting in Spring 2013.

I could care less about impressing people with my DD badge.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2013 | 01:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Great car to bash around in I think
Old 02-20-2013 | 01:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Great car to bash around in I think
It is.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...vs-spyder.html
Old 02-20-2013 | 01:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Read your thread a few weeks ago
Old 02-20-2013 | 01:57 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Interesting topic here

PDK's Future In Club/Spec Racing???
Old 02-20-2013 | 03:05 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scott40
+1 Seriously. For the VAST majority, tracking is in the form of DE! There is no prize (at least not at mine). Call me illogical, but when I go, I want to have the most fun for my $1k+ three day event. Driving around in automatic? LOL. I will just stay home. If you are hardcore about racing and want to win with PDK...go racing! Guess I just need to spend more time with Club racing and SCCA? JMO.
Are you now running a Miata???:
I am strongly in favor of PDK on track, one less thing to worry about, plus It will be the quickest 2.5 sec I would shave off my laptime, Porsche got it right by dumping the 3rd pedal for an automatic
As for the street, I am hanging on to my manual gears
Old 02-20-2013 | 03:37 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malmasri
Are you now running a Miata???:
I am strongly in favor of PDK on track, one less thing to worry about, plus It will be the quickest 2.5 sec I would shave off my laptime, Porsche got it right by dumping the 3rd pedal for an automatic
As for the street, I am hanging on to my manual gears
LOL- the $1k is just the entry fees and garage for the weekend Not counting the expense of running the car, hotel, food, fuel. Don't want to add all that up- scary!
Old 02-20-2013 | 04:18 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Chris wrote: "So the head mechanics of the motorsport team at my local dealership laughed at their own company's recommendations and thought it was absolutely unrealistic and ridiculous to have this expectation of customers yet you think it realistic track related maintenance?... haven't heard of many owners driving previous generation of GT cars, time out hubs every 4000 miles, have you? Seriously... These are the same guys that time out hubs on cup cars every few race meets and they were farrrrrrr from impressed with the proposed schedule for the road car..."

If the 4,000 Miles were all Track miles, that is not an unreasonable requirement. The Porsche's Data Acquisition System should discriminate street use from track use by using the 991's new measurement of
G-Loads. My own GT2's Race CL hub failed at 30 hours - roughly 3000 Racing miles. I don't understand
why your motorsports racing guys would "time out hubs on cup cars every few race meets" and find any
Porsche requirement applied to your CL's to be unnecessary - Of course, they know the way you drive
and I don't - and I've had some extra-slow students whose driving never stressed much of anything on their car. To those of us pushing 1-2 G's on the track, similar to the way we drive in races, our HPDE maintenance requirement is not unlike race driving. As I found out the hard way, breaking an axle can ruin your day not to mention take your life. I do share your dislike for CL hubs. CL's are totally unnecessary, inconvenient and dangerous on a street car. I also ignored Porsche's advice on early hub replacement-as many customers will, and paid for it with a heavy crash. They can count on many of us doing the same. if I accept delivery of the GT3 I've ordered despite the CL's, I intend to change over to 5 lug wheels and leave the CL's for the Poseurs.
Old 02-20-2013 | 04:29 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Although they were very interesting reads with opinions on both sides(this thread and the Corvette thread),I'm still trying to figure out what's dumber,to keep complaining about a product and comparing it to another '' better '' one(Corvette in this case),or keep buying it... If I don't like a product anymore and there's a better alternative,cheaper,I move on.
I'm wondering if boy racers/track junkies come to more than 1% of Porsche based customers...I'm also wondering if you ever tried to voice your concerns with Porsche about CLs and such,the same way you're complaining here,you obviously seem to be very good at it. Enough complaints and Porsche might just do something about it!
Back to the subject,although I appreciate a lot the effort put in these exclusive shots and info,to me,there's not much novelty. Besides the fact that we now know that it will be a different engine,what else is new?
Porsche is doing a great job of teasing giving us crumbs.
That bumper is not finalized and you still can't see anything,same goes for the wing. The steering wheel looks exactly like the sport design on a Carrera and the cluster like it's coming off a 997 GT3.
Same goes for PDK only theory...we still don't know for sure.
These pictures are no different than the ones we've been seeing for about a year now on different blogs.
Sound clip? Just watch on the same blogs the video clip with a GT3 mule lapping the Nürburgring.
Old 02-20-2013 | 04:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Thanks Mike!
I did not know about the kick down button / position. I'm affraid that would not work for me, scared is brake pedal through the floor, not scared it throttle pedal through the floor, that's why I need to be able to short shift in PDK lol.
You can short **** PDK too...I was doing it at Sebring T11/12 full throttle shift up at 6k.
Old 02-20-2013 | 04:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Yeah, sure completely different gearing, just sayin' as examples.
Hope you feel better!
Yep differnet gearing and power feel too...obvisouly.

I'm doing a bit better today...zero energy, less chest congestion though. Doc put me on steroid pills and different antibiotic and told me to stay home resting.
Old 02-20-2013 | 04:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu
Although they were very interesting reads with opinions on both sides(this thread and the Corvette thread),I'm still trying to figure out what's dumber,to keep complaining about a product and comparing it to another '' better '' one(Corvette in this case),or keep buying it... If I don't like a product anymore and there's a better alternative,cheaper,I move on.
I'm wondering if boy racers/track junkies come to more than 1% of Porsche based customers...I'm also wondering if you ever tried to voice your concerns with Porsche about CLs and such,the same way you're complaining here,you obviously seem to be very good at it. Enough complaints and Porsche might just do something about it!
Back to the subject,although I appreciate a lot the effort put in these exclusive shots and info,to me,there's not much novelty. Besides the fact that we now know that it will be a different engine,what else is new?
Porsche is doing a great job of teasing giving us crumbs.
That bumper is not finalized and you still can't see anything,same goes for the wing. The steering wheel looks exactly like the sport design on a Carrera and the cluster like it's coming off a 997 GT3.
Same goes for PDK only theory...we still don't know for sure.
These pictures are no different than the ones we've been seeing for about a year now on different blogs.
Sound clip? Just watch on the same blogs the video clip with a GT3 mule lapping the Nürburgring.
I agree there are cosmetic details that are probably not settled. For me the big news was about the engine. For months there has been much wailing about how the new engine will be nothing but a warmed over 991 powerkit. This seems to put that drama to rest. It's also true that Porsche has been very good at keeping details about the car secret. In that light, while we spent a dozen+ pages in a recent thread arguing over info, numbers, and Ring times released by some sales people to customers, it always seemed to me that all of that was basically advertising hype based on guesswork to get people fired up. I doubt it really came from official Porsche sources since they have clearly been keeping their mouths shut.

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!