Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine warranty closing soon! Keeping me up at night!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 04:24 PM
cwazy1
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BCgeorgia
Fascinating. I did a bit of a deeper dive on this out of curiosity.

@mikey997 There appear to be several options for your 991.1 gt3, apparently. One of them is an extended warranty (VSP) through Porsche (which appears to be backed by a 3rd party).

This may be the warranty solution to your concern (buying you a few years of peace of mind). VERY long thread on this topic:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...rranty-15.html
Correcto, use this thread to understand the warranty options. the VSP through porsche is by Safeguard. There is also Freedom, which is newer to the scene being sold by highline auto, and also Fidelity, which has been around for ages but sometimes won't cover your VIN.
The following 2 users liked this post by cwazy1:
Highline-Autos.com (06-28-2023), mikey997 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 04:27 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyPP
I think you're right, it was Freedom and not Safeguard. Thank you for pointing that out.

If you can kindly share specifics of the Safeguard policy. Cost, deductible and coverages.

Thank you.
Keep in mind each dealer will have varying pricing and pkg options.
Warranty was purchased in CA, and looking back I should have selected the $250 deductible to save several hundred bucks, but I have piece-of-mind till 2028 or 101K miles, yay!
Three months after warranty purchase car threw that 'golden CeL' and new G6 was installed under the factory warranty, and did not use Safe-Guard: accessoriesandservices

Also recently went with Porsche Auto Insurance (now avail in CA) and very pleased to have agreed upon total loss value, all repairs using only OEM Porsche parts, and rates based upon actual mileage driven per annum.
There is other various 'perks' as well.
The following users liked this post:
mikey997 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 05:34 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey997
I wish POA would just do the right thing and if your car is maintained properly, no rev range 3+ on report, they should cover this motor to 100k miles and not not just 10 years from inservice date.
Just to confirm that I have this right, based on your current annual mileage, you think Porsche doing the right thing would be to give you an additional roughly 30+ years of engine warranty (on top of the 10 years they already gave)?
ldamelio (07-04-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 05:42 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cwazy1
This is incorrect to my knowledge and after reading my contract word for word. Also I had a 32k$ claim on mine for a brand new PDK. Safeguard is the underwriter for factory extended warranty without any limit on coverage.

Are you thinking of Freedom, which has been extensively discussed over many threads in this subforum.
Originally Posted by cwazy1
My policy was purchased for 7500$+tax for 5y, 60k miles of coverage from the purchase date of the policy. It has a 250$ deductible and is considered the 'platinum VSP'. It covers just about everything except for what would be considered 'consumables'. Its the exact same coverage as a CPO warranty.

6. EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE
This Agreement does NOT cover the following parts, services, conditions or events:
C. Normal maintenance items or parts normally designed to be serviced or replaced periodically during the life of the Covered Vehicle, including, but not limited to: oil, coolant, fluids, lubricants, refrigerants, filters (except when required in conjunction with a covered repair), spark plugs, spark plug wires, glow plugs, light bulbs, sealed beams, lenses, fuses, wiper blades and arms, standard, hybrid and electric batteries and battery cables, drive belts, coolant and vacuum hoses, brake rotors, brake drums, brake pads and linings.
Thank you for the details. Im going to call the local dealership and see if they would sell this policy. At $7,500 it sure makes more sense than Engine out for inspection at $5,000.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:22 PM
mikey997
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vocan
Just to confirm that I have this right, based on your current annual mileage, you think Porsche doing the right thing would be to give you an additional roughly 30+ years of engine warranty (on top of the 10 years they already gave)?
yes you have this right. When you engineer and produce a car that costs $150-$200,000 and you have a proven factual 100% engineering flaw, I believe that all of these motors should have been replaced from the start. It’s a flaw , and that’s on them. They threw the 10 year / 120 K mile warranty on it because they knew that it was a ratios game and it would cost less than replacing every motor. If there was not a 100% factual proven engineering flaw with the finger follower and cam lobes, then NO, that would be completely unrealistic to expect an automotive company to warranty a motor for 30 years, but there IS! just replace it now with the fix that you came up with in the G6. If you can provide the documentation that the car has been maintained, serviced properly , and no over rev range two or three’s on ecu readout, then yes that is absolutely what I’m saying!
RDCR (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 08:41 PM
Porsche cowboy
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

yes you have this right. When you engineer and produce a car that costs $150-$200,000 and you have a proven factual 100% engineering flaw, I believe that all of these motors should have been replaced from the start. It’s a flaw , and that’s on them. They threw the 10 year / 120 K mile warranty on it because they knew that it was a ratios game and it would cost less than replacing every motor. If there was not a 100% factual proven engineering flaw with the finger follower and cam lobes, then NO, that would be completely unrealistic to expect an automotive company to warranty a motor for 30 years, but there IS! just replace it now with the fix that you came up with in the G6. If you can provide the documentation that the car has been maintained, serviced properly , and no over rev range two or three’s on ecu readout, then yes that is absolutely what I’m saying!
This would be a slippery slope for Porsche.
Owners could make the exact same argument for the 996 and 997 generation cars with M96 and M97 engines. These engines had block cast using the Lokasil process and are inherently flawed with high rates of bore scoring (some say eventually all of them will score)
Engineering flaw = yes
Motor warranty for any of these owners = not a chance

Old 06-28-2023, 09:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,489 Posts

Traded in my 991.1 GT3 today and got a 991.2 GT3 RS. The GT3 is a great car and it served me well for 43k miles and about a hundred track days, but the RS is way better.
Old 06-28-2023, 09:48 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Lots of ways to look at this, I took delivery of my 2015 GT3 late due to this issue. Many of us pushed to get the 10 year 100k miles warranty, and got invited to Porsche NA to meet the engineers/and a track day treated us well. I think the thought was 100k miles and 10 years would cover the life of the car, but many didn’t drive the car and the thought a failure would occur in 100k miles. I hate to hear this for you, but I sold my car as I didn’t want to play that game waiting for a time bomb. Good luck with your choice, but I would sale it and not deal with the risk.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:29 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyPP
Selling your GT3 to buy another GT3 with a G6 comes at an added expense that has to be included in the final cost. In California this added cost is "THE SALES TAX" @ approximately 10% or $15,000 on average.

I would rather support a vendor rather than pay more taxes.
If he is in Nevada, it's zero for a private party purchase.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:13 AM
mikey997
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Lots of ways to look at this, I took delivery of my 2015 GT3 late due to this issue. Many of us pushed to get the 10 year 100k miles warranty, and got invited to Porsche NA to meet the engineers/and a track day treated us well. I think the thought was 100k miles and 10 years would cover the life of the car, but many didn’t drive the car and the thought a failure would occur in 100k miles. I hate to hear this for you, but I sold my car as I didn’t want to play that game waiting for a time bomb. Good luck with your choice, but I would sale it and not deal with the risk.
And this exactly my point , when you say “I think their thought was 100k miles and 10 years would cover the life of the car, but many didn’t drive the car and the thought a failure would occur in 100k miles”… that’s the problem, they DID know that most would NOT do 100k in 10 years therefor they don’t have to cover most cars because 10 years will go by on 90+% of gt3’s engines hit that 100k mileage point…..think about it…. It’s all calculated expense for the error IMO

Last edited by mikey997; 06-29-2023 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:17 AM
TinyPP
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mthrice
If he is in Nevada, it's zero for a private party purchase.
Please elaborate, you have my full attention.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:31 AM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Yours is a beautiful car. Wish mine had come with the silver wheels (but my wife and kids like the black).

if I didn’t track my car I would get the extended warranty through the dealer - no brainer. But the dealer warranty (Safeguard) has an exclusion for track related failures even if the failure doesn’t occur at the track. So I have no warranty at all starting next September when my 10 year times out. I’m prepared to repair or replace the engine when it does fail after that or I’ll sell the car.

I absolutely love my car. It sounds and drives epic. I’m absolutely not sure I would enjoy driving an RS more and I am sure your car and mine are prettier than any RS (other than a 2.7 and the 996 GT3 RS). People will love the ugly duckling 991.1 GT3 20 years from now. Enjoy yours now - do whatever it takes to not worry - if that means trading it for a Corvette or Boxster with a warranty then do that. I’m keeping mine and enjoying the 9000 rpm redline until the car breaks or I do.

Last edited by 74goldtarga; 06-29-2023 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:35 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

And this exactly my point , when you say “I think their thought was 100k miles and 10 years would cover the life of the car, but many didn’t drive the car and the thought a failure would occur in 100k miles”… that’s the problem, they DID know that most would NOT do 100k in 10 years therefor they don’t have to cover most cars because 10 years will go by on 90+% of gt3’s engines hit that 100k mileage point…..think about it…. It’s all calculated expense for the error IMO

‘’Sorry, I’m not implying Porsche is trying scam owners with finance math. Honestly, I do think 100k/10 is responsible as they value the brand unlike some manufacturers. Options you have to consider is a warranty, but I do see those cars losing value post the years unfortunately.
mikey997 (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 12:40 AM
mikey997
Instructor

Originally Posted by 74goldtarga
Yours is a beautiful car. Wish mine had come with the silver wheels (but my wife and kids like the black).

if I didn’t track my car I would get the extended warranty through the dealer - no brainer. But the dealer warranty (Safeguard) has an exclusion for track related failures even if the failure doesn’t occur at the track. So I have no warranty at all starting next September when my 10 year times out. I’m prepared to repair or replace the engine when it does fail after that or I’ll sell the car.

I absolutely love my car. It sounds and drives epic. I’m absolutely not sure I would enjoy driving an RS more and I am sure your car and mine are prettier than any RS (other than a 2.7 and the 996 GT3 RS). People will love the ugly duckling 991.1 GT3 20 years from now. Enjoy yours now - do whatever it takes to not worry - if that means trading it for a Corvette or Boxster with a warranty then do that. I’m keeping mine and enjoying the 9000 rpm redline until the car breaks or I do.

my favorite response so far!!! lol. Seriously !!! Is that true about safeguard???? And thanks for the comments on the wheels , and I agree silver all day long for this guy!
Old 06-29-2023, 12:52 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,489 Posts

Originally Posted by 74goldtarga

I drove my 991.1 GT3 for eight years and didn’t ‘upgrade’ because I thought the car was so good that the newer GT cars wouldn’t be much more fun.

But now that have a 991.2 3RS, I realize that I was wrong. The RS is not only considerably faster, but also considerably more fun.

Quick Reply: Engine warranty closing soon! Keeping me up at night!