991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 06:45 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 RS alignment

I'm picking up a 991.2 GT3 RS next week. I'm buying it mainly as a track car, but will likely drive it to/from the track and sometimes on the road just for fun.

The dealer will measure the alignment and set it up however I want. Do you guys know what the OEM alignment is, and does Porsche have a recommended track alignment? From experience, is there a consensus among you guys regarding the best alignment for the track?
Old 06-17-2023, 12:50 AM
sdwindr1
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Consensus from everything I have read is that if you are looking for a track focused alignment, start with the factory alignment.

It is plenty aggressive to start tracking it and can outperform most people's skill levels. Then if you want to push it harder, and you are actually reaching the limits of the setup, tweak as needed. I know that's a bit of a non-answer, but I've dug for the same info and came to the same conclusion.

Then there's always the option of taking your RS to somewhere like e-motion
Old 06-17-2023, 01:38 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdwindr1
Consensus from everything I have read is that if you are looking for a track focused alignment, start with the factory alignment.

It is plenty aggressive to start tracking it and can outperform most people's skill levels. Then if you want to push it harder, and you are actually reaching the limits of the setup, tweak as needed. I know that's a bit of a non-answer, but I've dug for the same info and came to the same conclusion.

Then there's always the option of taking your RS to somewhere like e-motion
That’s the answer I was hoping to hear! With the 991.1 GT3, I found that the factory alignment is quite good even for an advanced track driver, and I was thinking that the same may be the case for the .2 3RS.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:34 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 521 Posts

Coming from a street/track alignment on base GT3, did not find stock .2 RS alignment good for tire wear or performance/lap times. Got some tread tearing on the rear tires, and way, way too much push in the car. Was consistently waiting on the front end, and it was floaty in the high speed stuff.

.2 GT3 street/track alignment specs are below, shop dialed in very similar for RS. Now running soft front sway on the RS as well, so front-soft, rear-stiff. Tire wear and handling issues fully resolved.

The huge range of adjustability in stock form is there for a reason. GT3/RS is capable from factory, faster out the box than most. But not set up and optimized for an experienced driver with track as the priority.

CAMBER FRONT -2.6
CAMBER REAR -2.1
TOE FRONT -.5
TOE REAR +2
RIDE HEIGHT 5MM RAKE
REAR SWAY BAR FULL STIFF
The following 2 users liked this post by ParadiseGT3:
Andi (06-19-2023), Manifold (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 05:27 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

I am running a very similar setup but with zero toe up front. On my next outing I am wondering about the rear wing setting, what are you running and at what tracks? 🙏

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Coming from a street/track alignment on base GT3, did not find stock .2 RS alignment good for tire wear or performance/lap times. Got some tread tearing on the rear tires, and way, way too much push in the car. Was consistently waiting on the front end, and it was floaty in the high speed stuff.

.2 GT3 street/track alignment specs are below, shop dialed in very similar for RS. Now running soft front sway on the RS as well, so front-soft, rear-stiff. Tire wear and handling issues fully resolved.

The huge range of adjustability in stock form is there for a reason. GT3/RS is capable from factory, faster out the box than most. But not set up and optimized for an experienced driver with track as the priority.

CAMBER FRONT -2.6
CAMBER REAR -2.1
TOE FRONT -.5
TOE REAR +2
RIDE HEIGHT 5MM RAKE
REAR SWAY BAR FULL STIFF
Old 06-18-2023, 08:22 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
I am running a very similar setup but with zero toe up front. On my next outing I am wondering about the rear wing setting, what are you running and at what tracks? 🙏
Full attack aero f & r, Florida tracks. Only downside is it kills fuel economy RS burns considerably more fuel than GT3 on road & track.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:29 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Do you guys know what the factory alignment specs are? Is there a track alignment recommended by Porsche?
Old 06-18-2023, 09:25 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manifold
Do you guys know what the factory alignment specs are? Is there a track alignment recommended by Porsche?
Factory alignment specs, ride height, camber, etc. for .1 RS are displayed in this vid starting at about 3 mins. (You won't want to run those specs.) Not aware of .2 RS Porsche track alignment specs.

Think I recall you mentioning getting all of your work done by a Porsche dealer, but I'd recommend a competent indy race shop on this front. You'll probably get more diligence, expertise, and overall alignment accuracy.

The following 2 users liked this post by ParadiseGT3:
Manifold (06-18-2023), spyderbret (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 09:34 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Factory alignment specs, ride height, camber, etc. for .1 RS are displayed in this vid starting at about 3 mins. (You won't want to run those specs.) Not aware of .2 RS Porsche track alignment specs.

Think I recall you mentioning getting all of your work done by a Porsche dealer, but I'd recommend a competent indy race shop on this front. You'll probably get more diligence, expertise, and overall alignment accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDCE4qdOZE8
Looks like 1.5 degrees camber F and R, which does seem a bit low.

I did all of my work with a competent indy race shop for a decade, but have recently moved to giving my dealer a try at this. Dealer picks up and drops off the cars, not much difference in cost, and they're making a diligent effort to do this work properly.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:48 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Looks like 1.5 degrees camber F and R, which does seem a bit low.

I did all of my work with a competent indy race shop for a decade, but have recently moved to giving my dealer a try at this. Dealer picks up and drops off the cars, not much difference in cost, and they're making a diligent effort to do this work properly.
Cool, if they have the intention to do it right they're probably equipped to do so. Here was .2 RS SMR2 after track day 2 stock alignment. No wear issues since with alignment specs above. Base GT3 is also delivering optimum tire wear with those specs. As far as sways, try first setting rear to full stiff if you want < understeer.

The following users liked this post:
Manifold (06-18-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 02:27 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Good track alignment:

Front: -3.0 F camber / Toe +0.05
Rear: -2.4 to -2.6 camber / Toe +0.15 to 0.16 per side
Old 06-20-2023, 02:54 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Owners manual is quite clear that factory alignment is good for the track. I found that to be the case with the 991.1 GT3. So I asked the dealer to set it up per factory specs and I’ll give that a try. I want to see how the factory setup feels. Will increase cambers if there’s an issue with tire wear.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:10 PM
OnlySoMany
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

That’s the answer I was hoping to hear! With the 991.1 GT3, I found that the factory alignment is quite good even for an advanced track driver, and I was thinking that the same may be the case for the .2 3RS.
It really depends. Once I started clocking very fast times in my .2 RS the factory alignment started not being enough. I started needing more contact patch when under very hard cornering. This is the setup I have the dealer doing for me next week:

-2.8 front, zero toe
-2.3 rear, 2mm toe in

front sway setting - middle
rear sway setting - stiff

Also doing corner balancing.

One of my local tracks is very demanding, at 19 turns and 3.9 miles long. I need to be able to turn in fast, late apex, and have stability from the rear. With the car being rear-engined, I can easily accelerate up hills and get back on power early, but sharp downhills it gets a bit sketchy (very different from my Shelby CFTP). Worth noting I am switching to Cup 2 R as well for the next session out.

Factory alignment is great overall. I would leave it as is and then tweak as to how you want the car to behave.

Last edited by OnlySoMany; 06-20-2023 at 06:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 06:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

So I have a somewhat related question: what setting for the wing does the car ship with from the factory? My dealer has .2 3RS from another customer which very likely is factory stock, and the wing is set in the lowest downforce setting.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:25 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Set for optimal autobahn gas mileage

It’s the next change on my list as I don’t like to alter too many things at once. I am no factory race driver but I do notice the rear getting a bit unsettled under heavy braking in a zone with elevation drop going into the corner. I am curious to see if I can perceive a change by going to max downforce

So I have a somewhat related question: what setting for the wing does the car ship with from the factory? My dealer has .2 3RS from another customer which very likely is factory stock, and the wing is set in the lowest downforce setting.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS alignment