Need help with Exhuast combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 09:52 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Need help with Exhuast combo

Hey Rennlister's

Need some help figuring out exhaust for my 991-3RS, right now I have stock headers, stock cat and a the dundon crack pipe and it drones too much for me and honestly is just a little too loud for me but sounds glorious on WOT.

I bought a set of valved side muffler deletes and was going to put those on with the stock TI center muffler, after reading some threads and talking to a few friends, it appears the stock TI will crack eventually. Is there a combo that works with no drone? I just need some valves to quiet the car down when needed.

Does Valves side deletes and a center muffler delete drone? If you close the valves is it quiet enough?

Thanks guys
Old 03-09-2023, 12:12 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 153 Posts

You’ll likely want to keep the side mufflers if you don’t want drone. Try another center delete since the pipe is the loudest.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:10 AM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
You’ll likely want to keep the side mufflers if you don’t want drone. Try another center delete since the pipe is the loudest.
I had that originally and just wasn't too fond of the sound. Sharkwerks center bypass and stock side mufflers. Trying to find the happy medium between dundon crack pipe and and just the center bypass delete
Old 03-09-2023, 02:52 AM
homesauce
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 59 Posts

Side muffler is what takes out the 4krpm drone resonance.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:25 AM
Xec
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
I had that originally and just wasn't too fond of the sound. Sharkwerks center bypass and stock side mufflers. Trying to find the happy medium between dundon crack pipe and and just the center bypass delete
What weren’t you happy with it? Tone or volume?

The center bypass design plays a huge role in pitch/tone and volume. The Sharkwerks design and sound is the tamest of them all. A center with a X-pipe and expansion chamber will be significantly louder. I had a Soul center as my original setup and I think that is ideal for most people - very loud, no drone.

If you run any no muffler setup, it will drone, it just depends on your tolerance to it. In this scenario, having a tamer design (e.g. no expansion chamber) will help. My buddy’s JCR Race Pipes (which have no expansion) sounded pretty tame at low revs and was more reasonable around town than when I switched to a full Soul center and side delete setup. It’s still very loud at WOT, less so than the Soul and for sure less than the Crack, but louder than any center delete alone.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:56 AM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by homesauce
Side muffler is what takes out the 4krpm drone resonance.
I can tolerate a little drone. Its just the longer drives to the track that are taxing on the ears.

Originally Posted by Xec
What weren’t you happy with it? Tone or volume?

The center bypass design plays a huge role in pitch/tone and volume. The Sharkwerks design and sound is the tamest of them all. A center with a X-pipe and expansion chamber will be significantly louder. I had a Soul center as my original setup and I think that is ideal for most people - very loud, no drone.

If you run any no muffler setup, it will drone, it just depends on your tolerance to it. In this scenario, having a tamer design (e.g. no expansion chamber) will help. My buddy’s JCR Race Pipes (which have no expansion) sounded pretty tame at low revs and was more reasonable around town than when I switched to a full Soul center and side delete setup. It’s still very loud at WOT, less so than the Soul and for sure less than the Crack, but louder than any center delete alone.
It was a little bit of both, I love the sound of the megaphone crack pipe above 5K, just the 2 hour drive to the track with the drone rattles your ears and brain. Around town I am fine and can deal with it no problem.

Did your side delete and soul center muffler set up drone a lot?
Old 03-09-2023, 11:10 AM
Xec
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
I can tolerate a little drone. Its just the longer drives to the track that are taxing on the ears.

It was a little bit of both, I love the sound of the megaphone crack pipe above 5K, just the 2 hour drive to the track with the drone rattles your ears and brain. Around town I am fine and can deal with it no problem.

Did your side delete and soul center muffler set up drone a lot?
Yes my full Soul setup droned a lot. I have the full Crack Pipe now and the drone might’ve been worse at city speeds in the Soul setup. However Crack Pipe drones significantly more at highway speeds in 7th. I agree with you, I find the Crack Pipe quite reasonable at city speeds.

Any no muffler setup will drone - hard to have your cake and eat it too. I’ve resorted to hearing protection when driving around to give my ears a break.

One other alternative is to run a Mini Crack with stock side mufflers. I’ve heard this setup and it still sounds incredible but the stock side mufflers cut a lot of drone.
The following users liked this post:
Ted@dundonmotorsports (03-28-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 12:36 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Yeah listen to Xec he knows what he's talking about. I've heard his car and it's loud from a 1/2 mile away. I have run a few setups but went back to my mufflers and a rear JCR setup, it's nice around town but screams about 5k. Good compromise until i get some Dundon headers. I track my car a lot but hate the drone on the interstate so refuse to get rid of my mufflers right now.
I need to ride in someone's dundon car and hopefully can sometime soon.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:44 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xec
Yes my full Soul setup droned a lot. I have the full Crack Pipe now and the drone might’ve been worse at city speeds in the Soul setup. However Crack Pipe drones significantly more at highway speeds in 7th. I agree with you, I find the Crack Pipe quite reasonable at city speeds.

Any no muffler setup will drone - hard to have your cake and eat it too. I’ve resorted to hearing protection when driving around to give my ears a break.

One other alternative is to run a Mini Crack with stock side mufflers. I’ve heard this setup and it still sounds incredible but the stock side mufflers cut a lot of drone.
Dude, thanks a bunch for that. That is exactly what I needed to know regarding the side muffler delete set up.

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
Yeah listen to Xec he knows what he's talking about. I've heard his car and it's loud from a 1/2 mile away. I have run a few setups but went back to my mufflers and a rear JCR setup, it's nice around town but screams about 5k. Good compromise until i get some Dundon headers. I track my car a lot but hate the drone on the interstate so refuse to get rid of my mufflers right now.
I need to ride in someone's dundon car and hopefully can sometime soon.
Thanks man, I assume you are friends with Xec in real life lol. So your current set up is stock side muffler and JCR center? Which JCR center do you have?
Old 03-09-2023, 12:51 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Yeah we've met at a meet and talked, heard his car drive away. Stock sides and the JCR Ti center bypass, no silencers. It's great at high RPM but really mellow around town and at idle. I might pick a used mini crack to try but this setup is really livable. I share an alley with neighbors and they appreciate my discretion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brainofjjj:
JCR-Porsche (03-10-2023), MKIVdan (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 01:54 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 600 Posts

Akrapovic makes a set of headers with 100 cell cats and titanium side mufflers. I snagged a used one but won't put it on for a while, I'm hopeful that this will take care of the drone issue with valves closed. If it does, it's the best of both worlds as you lose as much weight from this kit as from deleting the stock sides and they flow better too.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:38 AM
kamrandn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xec

Just switched to the mini crack pipe only with stock side mufflers. Extremely pleased with this setup. Loud above 4-5k and livable at highway speeds.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:18 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help guys. I got my exhaust change in the works
Old 03-10-2023, 06:19 PM
AnthonyGan
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

What’s the new setup you going with?
Old 03-10-2023, 09:19 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AnthonyGan
What’s the new setup you going with?
Dundon mini crack pipe and stock side mufflers

That being said, once all swapped I will have a few parts for sale

Available now - True performance side muffler delete with valves $900
Dundon Mega phone crack pipe will be $2250 once removed.

Quick Reply: Need help with Exhuast combo