Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up a 16gt3rs guessing car was raced.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022 | 09:23 PM
Jimbo81
AutoX

Default Picked up a 16gt3rs guessing car was raced.

Grabbed a 2016 gt3rs two weeks ago. Car was raced hard. Has 17k miles on it. Fenders are chewed up pretty good and not sure what kind of springs are on here doesn’t look stock. Car definitely looks very low.I should probably take it to Porsche and have everything looked over. Not too concerned except rear fender paint being chewed up. Looks like rock chips or rubbing.

Plastic has holes cars so low can’t get a good picture.

What kind of springs are these. Should I put everything back to stock?

Angle was hard to get but most of the paint on the right side has been all chewed off. Do I need to apply something so it doesn’t rust. Looks like there’s a little on there.

Last edited by Jimbo81; 10-24-2022 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2022 | 11:17 PM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Looks like swift springs and fenders have not been rolled, dealer should cover that. Guess you bought without ppi or inspecting? If so, probably a good idea to get it to a good shop and have Porsche pull the service records.
The following 2 users liked this post by mipcar:
Jimbo81 (10-24-2022), NCPM (10-28-2022)
Old 10-24-2022 | 11:26 PM
Jimbo81
AutoX

Originally Posted by mipcar
Looks like swift springs and fenders have not been rolled, dealer should cover that. Guess you bought without ppi or inspecting? If so, probably a good idea to get it to a good shop and have Porsche pull the service records.
I drove 4 hours it was priced very well with low mileage I just picked it up. They had service records everything looked ok. I should roll the fenders?
Old 10-24-2022 | 11:53 PM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Depends if you plan to track. .2’s rolled from factory as I believe some late .1s were as well. Known issue. Search you will find info. Can’t tell how low it is. If return to oem alignment ride height and drive street you shouldn’t rub. Also, don’t know what other suspension components are changed.
The following users liked this post:
Jimbo81 (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022 | 12:18 AM
elgato13
Instructor

Usually if its priced well, its for a reason. Haven’t found too many folks giving out deals on GT3s. I’d have it looked over by a dealer or Indy, whichever you prefer just to make sure you don’t have anything pop up later.
Jimbo81 (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022 | 09:58 AM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

If it has been lowered get it back to stock ride height. These car don’t perform as well lowered and you also increase the risk of blowing out a front strut tower. Not to mention tire rubbing on the track.
The following 3 users liked this post by dsteding:
awew911 (10-29-2022), Jimbo81 (10-25-2022), MKIVdan (10-26-2022)
Old 10-25-2022 | 10:04 AM
Jimbo81
AutoX

When I picked it up car had 16,500 miles I got it for 175k. I’ll definitely get it into a dealer get everything looked over. Reason it’s 25k lower right.
Old 10-25-2022 | 10:31 AM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimbo81
When I picked it up car had 16,500 miles I got it for 175k. I’ll definitely get it into a dealer get everything looked over. Reason it’s 25k lower right.
Good price. If no accidents and has had fluids changed I really wouldn’t worry about it being tracked. It is a track car. These cars get hammered on the lower rear quarters, inside fenders that you saw, and headlights and windshields get chipped up on the track. Enjoy the car.

it may be due for clutch fluid. I’d do the PDK fluid and filter at the same time if it has seen lots of track miles. Oil and brake fluid too. Also keep in mind the rebuild interval on the hubs, I think a .1 RS is the same as my 991.1 GT3, 6k track miles on the rear and 12k on the front. The rears might be close to needing attention, you may just want to do them all to zero time them and start fresh.
Old 10-25-2022 | 10:42 AM
Jimbo81
AutoX

Originally Posted by dsteding
Good price. If no accidents and has had fluids changed I really wouldn’t worry about it being tracked. It is a track car. These cars get hammered on the lower rear quarters, inside fenders that you saw, and headlights and windshields get chipped up on the track. Enjoy the car.

it may be due for clutch fluid. I’d do the PDK fluid and filter at the same time if it has seen lots of track miles. Oil and brake fluid too. Also keep in mind the rebuild interval on the hubs, I think a .1 RS is the same as my 991.1 GT3, 6k track miles on the rear and 12k on the front. The rears might be close to needing attention, you may just want to do them all to zero time them and start fresh.
Its had front bumper replaced. They showed me the work order. It was literally front bumper and clips. Previous owner got backed into in a parking lot they said. I put 800 miles in 2 weeks of ownership. The dealership only gave me 3 months 3000 mile warranty honestly been running it hard to see if anything breaks. That way they’ll cover it. I saw how to videos on rolling the fenders I’m not good at stuff like this. Would that be a good body shop job or take it to Porsche.

Last edited by Jimbo81; 10-25-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-25-2022 | 12:00 PM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Its had front bumper replaced. They showed me the work order. It was literally front bumper and clips. Previous owner got backed into in a parking lot they said. I put 800 miles in 2 weeks of ownership. The dealership only gave me 3 months 3000 mile warranty honestly been running it hard to see if anything breaks. That way they’ll cover it. I saw how to videos on rolling the fenders I’m not good at stuff like this. Would that be a good body shop job or take it to Porsche.
Porsche covered fender roll for me. There is a service bulletin issued.
Jimbo81 (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022 | 01:02 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Agree with above. The RS is a stout car and designed to be driven at the limits. Mine (.1RS) came with the fenders already rolled so didn't experience the rubbing. Nevertheless, as was mentioned above, you can pay the dealer or another shop to do that for you. Sounds like you're ok with some of the cosmetic stuff. All the better for you to just drive and not worry about it anyhow. These cars sit extremely low, could be yours is at the normal height. Take some profile shots and post them up. How are you enjoying those 800 miles so far?
Jimbo81 (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022 | 02:07 PM
Jimbo81
AutoX

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
Agree with above. The RS is a stout car and designed to be driven at the limits. Mine (.1RS) came with the fenders already rolled so didn't experience the rubbing. Nevertheless, as was mentioned above, you can pay the dealer or another shop to do that for you. Sounds like you're ok with some of the cosmetic stuff. All the better for you to just drive and not worry about it anyhow. These cars sit extremely low, could be yours is at the normal height. Take some profile shots and post them up. How are you enjoying those 800 miles so far?
Coming from a m4 and a srt hellcat the car is absolutely amazing. This is my first rear engine car. It’s been almost a religious moment. I’ve never driven a car and felt so in tuned. I went to the Porsche gt car meet in northern va. The other rs I saw was a good 3/4 inch higher than mine. I’ll get some good photos to post later.
Old 10-25-2022 | 03:44 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Coming from a m4 and a srt hellcat the car is absolutely amazing. This is my first rear engine car. It’s been almost a religious moment. I’ve never driven a car and felt so in tuned. I went to the Porsche gt car meet in northern va. The other rs I saw was a good 3/4 inch higher than mine. I’ll get some good photos to post later.
Yeah, an RS is going to be quite a huge upgrade from anything SRT! M4 is great but bloated and sluggish drivetrain.

Get the RS back to factory ride height and alignment, and it will likely drive better and be more useable on the street.
Jimbo81 (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022 | 06:15 PM
Jimbo81
AutoX

Called every Porsche dealership in my area about rolling the fenders. Not a single advisor called back. Guess they not doing it anymore.
Old 10-26-2022 | 11:15 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Good price! ..wouldn't worry about the car being tracked everything you showed is normal. Would check if at stock ride height as others said; the car is oftentimes lowered to achieve better rake and corner balancing (more advanced race shops do this without issue) and maybe have the fenders rolled by a porsche-approved body shop (assuming dealer can't/won't do it). Maybe if you bring to dealer for inspection (they'll probably charge you for it), they'd be willing to work with you on fender rolling. Also, would take to a shop for alignment post adjusting to stock-ish ride height. Would keep the Swift springs as a lot of people use those to bring to .2 spring rates. Might want to consider the DSC suspension controller should work well with the springs and help ride quality and handling.

Last edited by FogCitySF; 10-26-2022 at 11:19 PM.
Jimbo81 (10-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Picked up a 16gt3rs guessing car was raced.