Sponsored by:

Need an opinion GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 12:22 AM
UNAGEDLUXURY
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an opinion GT3 RS

Went in today to check out a GT3 RS ran my credit waiting to hear back but looked over the carfax to find out the car had some kind of damage previously. Should I be concerned about this?

Old 08-20-2022, 12:23 AM
UNAGEDLUXURY
AutoX

Originally Posted by UNAGEDLUXURY
Went in today to check out a GT3 RS ran my credit waiting to hear back but looked over the carfax to find out the car had some kind of damage previously. Should I be concerned about this?

Old 08-20-2022, 12:34 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,031 Likes on 5,242 Posts

yes
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
cscrogham (08-23-2022), nilrents (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 12:54 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 369 Posts

Walk away
The following users liked this post:
nilrents (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 02:19 AM
ls2gtoowner
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes and no..... price needs to reflect previous history. If the car checks out and you are getting a rather large discount for said previous history then move forward if you are ok with the previous damage. If the car is priced according to all comps with no incident then move on and buy one with no issues on the history report.
The following 2 users liked this post by ls2gtoowner:
SterlingatBOM (08-20-2022), UNAGEDLUXURY (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 02:24 AM
UNAGEDLUXURY
AutoX

Originally Posted by ls2gtoowner
Yes and no..... price needs to reflect previous history. If the car checks out and you are getting a rather large discount for said previous history then move forward if you are ok with the previous damage. If the car is priced according to all comps with no incident then move on and buy one with no issues on the history report.
GT3 RS that’s the link to listing there was no comment on damage
Old 08-20-2022, 02:33 AM
ls2gtoowner
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

GT3 RS that’s the link to listing there was no comment on damage
I am not saying the dealer needs to tell you there is damage reported on the carfax.

At 250k I think you are better off finding a one owner or 2 owner car with no accidents with more options. That's my opinion but opinions are like you know what.

But again if you are happy with the car and the deal then buy it! Just keep in mind whenever you go to sell it you will have to sell it for less money than everyone else since it does have a mark on the history report.
nilrents (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 01:15 PM
nilrents
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

In my [uneducated] opinion that is *way* too much money for that car with more than minor damage. Even if were less, only minor, I'd feel the same.

Additionally, as @ls2gtoowner noted, it's not the dealer's responsibility to point out the damage. They expect some will pull a report and find it. *But they're hoping* somebody won't and will overpay. That's dishonest - to put it nicely.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:40 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

I know this dealer, Ill just leave this photo here from awhile back when I was looking at a car seriously and had all but paid for it... I quote it was outlined as a "perfect" no stories car, but had the turn signal light double face taped in and had fallen out just from backing the car out. Was enough for me to say no.

Last edited by redmonkey928; 08-20-2022 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:56 PM
wormman
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Walk away...no brainer
nilrents (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 11:41 PM
famoruwa
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

There's another one out there, similar spec, with no sketch history.
nilrents (08-20-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 12:27 AM
charlesk777
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

A friend recently had an accident that was recorded as 'mild damage' on his CarFax. He tagged a car that blew through a red. Bumper, one fender, both headlights, hood and windscreen. Not sure if that's a helpful point of reference given this car is listed as slightly worse.
Old 08-21-2022, 01:10 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,032 Likes on 654 Posts

The below assumes you are dealing with a Porsche dealer

Speak to the dealer, find out where the car was repaired - if its Porsche approved - the car will be fine. Why because if its done by a Porsche approved centre, it will be put back to Porsche specs. However, if its not sold through a Porsche dealer and it hasn't been repaired by a Porsche approved repairer - run away.

If it is a Porsche approved repairer - go speak to them about the car, also check the wheel alignment.

Ask them to put it up on a hoist, and get it checked by an indy if you want to feel fully confident.

Its a good opportunity to negotiate with the dealer, e.g. free servicing for x, free extended warranty - they offer upto 4 years etc etc.

Last edited by groundhog; 08-21-2022 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:33 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
The below assumes you are dealing with a Porsche dealer

Speak to the dealer, find out where the car was repaired - if its Porsche approved - the car will be fine. Why because if its done by a Porsche approved centre, it will be put back to Porsche specs. However, if its not sold through a Porsche dealer and it hasn't been repaired by a Porsche approved repairer - run away.

If it is a Porsche approved repairer - go speak to them about the car, also check the wheel alignment.

Ask them to put it up on a hoist, and get it checked by an indy if you want to feel fully confident.

Its a good opportunity to negotiate with the dealer, e.g. free servicing for x, free extended warranty - they offer upto 4 years etc etc.
good luck having any dealer band over backwards and provide all this info AND free servicing, free extended warranty, etc. Not that it wouldn't be useful, but most dealers won't go through this much trouble.

Here are my thoughts:

See how long the dealer has been sitting on the car. Also, know that you'll need to discount this car when you sell it or trade it in. Period. Whatever explanation you can get doesn't negate that fact.

Your best bet is to ask for the car to be CPO'd, assuming it's being sold by a Porsche dealer, and getting a discount up front. If it's been in their inventory for months, you know it's overpriced. I would personally only buy it if it significantly (10%, at a minimum) discounted compared to an equivalent no stories car. Having it CPO'd would also be re-assuring, as there is CPO criteria for body work that must be met. If it's being sold by a Porsche dealer, and they can't CPO it, then the body work was likely extensive and you better know what you're looking at, and be prepared to have to discount it even more when you sell it, unless you're keeping it for a very long time.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:06 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 369 Posts

To the OP, you still here? Run, don't walk... away...
don't do it
EXFIB (08-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Need an opinion GT3 RS