991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading 992 c2s for 991.1 gt3

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 12:48 PM
ddugas01

Received 148 Likes on 65 Posts

For track use, the GT3 is a better car. Try to find one with the G6 engine so you don’t have to worry about when the engine blows.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:44 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 294 Posts

If you can, go for the 991.2 GT3. Then you dont have to worry about the engine. And as long as you can get it to the track, or some fun canyons, to keep it in the upper rev range then I think you will be happy with the switch. I personally have not driven a 992 but I do have a 991.2 Carrera T that has the 3.0 turbo. I added a tune and it's a ton of fun around town with the additional torque in the lower rev range. Driving the GT3 around town is really pretty boing for me, mostly due to the low torque down low in the rev range and the sound. My God, mine has a IPE exhaust and headers and it just sounds amazing banging through the gears to 9,000 RPM's!!! I'm happy to sacrifice a little time on the track for the sound and the fun. I know I'm not going to be the fastest guy out there anyway so the .2 GT3 checks all the boxes for me. Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-11-2022, 03:21 PM
Loveforgt3
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just traded my 992 4s for a used 991.2 GT3. It was a struggle as effectively I traded a new car for a used car and paid a significant premium over original MSRP.

what motivated me?

first of all, I love cars but I am not a track or professional driver. However I prefer analog gauges, linear acceleration of NA, and that sound. (I used to own a 993) the only thing missing in 991 is a real hand brake. 992 was very very fast and probably as if not more capable than the 991.2 GT3. But the overall package of the GT3 makes it different. That sound is absolutely amazing. I finally don’t miss 993 sound. It feels I am in something different while 992 I felt it was stuck between luxury and raw. I also have concerns over 992’s fit and finish (my car was first allocation). My daily is a luxury car and also very fast. If I only care about 0-60 I would have bought a Tesla. Why not 992 GT3? First of all I can’t afford that 200k ADM, plus 991.2 is already a lot of cars for me. I also find 991 more handsome, just personal preference.

so far no regret!
The following 3 users liked this post by Loveforgt3:
dbv1 (06-11-2022), Larry Cable (06-17-2022), TheDangerZone (06-11-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 04:35 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by M156
991.1 gt3 lap time is 725
and that’s on OE Dunlop or cup 2
Putting cup 2 on 992 might mean it will be even quicker than 991.1 given lap time was done on OE Pzero level tires
Tires are properly good for a few seconds but not 12. One thing to remember is that these times are set by pro drivers and the difference in lap times at the limit are much less pronounced than for weekend warriors. Driving a GT3 is much more confidence inspiring at speed vs even a Carrera s so the weekend warrior will have a much larger delta than a pro. But with everything it’s up to personal preference. Do you want a more raw or refined experience. I don’t think you will go wrong with either.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:48 PM
elgato13
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Move into a 991.2 if you can swing it so you have peace of mind. If you haven’t driven the GT3 I would suggest asking for some extended seat time.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (06-14-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 08:05 PM
M156
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by elgato13
Move into a 991.2 if you can swing it so you have peace of mind. If you haven’t driven the GT3 I would suggest asking for some extended seat time.
I can but the 991.1 was locked in few month ago at extremely low price but they are just about to finish recall so I can take delivery. Meanwhile I bought 992s cause ran out of patience.
also I am from Canada where there’s no official adm and I am just trying to build better relationships with dealer(let them make more money) so eventually and hopefully I can land a gt3 allocation
Old 06-11-2022, 08:07 PM
M156
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NHmacan
Tires are properly good for a few seconds but not 12. One thing to remember is that these times are set by pro drivers and the difference in lap times at the limit are much less pronounced than for weekend warriors. Driving a GT3 is much more confidence inspiring at speed vs even a Carrera s so the weekend warrior will have a much larger delta than a pro. But with everything it’s up to personal preference. Do you want a more raw or refined experience. I don’t think you will go wrong with either.
yes
I do appreciate the rawness of the gt cars
one thing I felt tracking the 992 is while it’s extremely fast on track driver input can often feel a bit vague.
I have not had any track experience on gt cars so I wouldn’t know how it compares
Old 06-13-2022, 12:25 AM
NNayak
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

The 991.1 GT3 is undoubtedly a more engaging car than a 992 C2S, both on the street and on the track. An argument can be made for manual vs PDK, but as both vehicles you are considering are PDK, this is a moot point.

It sounds like you are somewhat locked into a .1 GT3. A constant topic of discussion on this forum is the .1 GT3 engine durability concern. Without diminishing this issue, here is my perspective on the .1 GT3 engine, as a .1 GT3 owner. Fundamentally there are four scenarios here:
  1. You get a .1 GT3 which already has a G6 motor, and you don't have to worry about the engine issue.
  2. You get a .1 GT3 with an F0/G0 motor. The top end wears in a manner that requires replacement within the 10 year period, and you get a G6 engine from Porsche at no cost to you (other than downtime), at which point you don't have to worry about the engine again.
  3. You get a .1 GT3 with an F0/G0 motor. The engine does not require replacement within the 10 year period. You take action, replacing the top end with the solid lifter & cam set up that Dundon Motorsports has developed. This costs you some money out of pocket, and some downtime, but you don't have to worry about the engine again.
  4. You get the .1 GT3 with an F0/G0 motor. The engine does not require replacement within the 10 year period. You choose to do nothing, and the top end wears in a manner that requires replacement after the warranty expires. You pay for this out of pocket, roughly $50k (based on the invoices people have received from their dealers after a G6 replacement) as well as downtime.

Given that in the current market, 991.1 GT3s sell for roughly $50k below 991.2 GT3s, the only scenario in which you may lose financially is #4, which requires negligence. The cost of the Dundon solid lifter top end in scenario 3 is admittedly speculative, but for the product to make financial sense for Dundon to sell, it would have to be drastically cheaper than the cost of a full engine replacement -- or else people will just go do that.

A 991.2 GT3 of course is a faster car than a 991.1 GT3, to the tune of 25hp and a few other revisions to the aero, drivetrain, suspension, and interior/exterior styling. However, I'd argue that a .1 GT3 offers probably something like 95% the capability of the .2 GT3, but for 75% of the spend in a best-case scenario. Sure, the .2 GT3 will be theoretically faster, but are you so good of a driver that you'll be more consistent day-to-day than the 5% performance variation between the two generations? If both are PDK, I would also argue that the driving enjoyment you'd get out of a .1 GT3 is probably identical to the enjoyment you'd get out of a .2 GT3.

Based on the above, I chose to purchase a .1 GT3. I've had no problems with the car so far, it is absolutely intoxicating to drive every time, and the ~50k left in my other investments has served me well so far.

The following 2 users liked this post by NNayak:
RDCR (06-16-2022), Zubehor (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 12:29 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 420 Posts

I just got to drive the pdk 992 C2S at PECATL last week and I loved that thing, particularly after living with a 991.1 GT3 for 3 years (which I loved BTW).

Caveat: my tracking days are over so the annoyances (aka perks) of a GT3 compound over time. The 992 C2S really felt like a very low compromise car that did pretty much everything well.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:00 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by NNayak
The 991.1 GT3 is undoubtedly a more engaging car than a 992 C2S, both on the street and on the track. An argument can be made for manual vs PDK, but as both vehicles you are considering are PDK, this is a moot point.

It sounds like you are somewhat locked into a .1 GT3. A constant topic of discussion on this forum is the .1 GT3 engine durability concern. Without diminishing this issue, here is my perspective on the .1 GT3 engine, as a .1 GT3 owner. Fundamentally there are four scenarios here:
  1. You get a .1 GT3 which already has a G6 motor, and you don't have to worry about the engine issue.
  2. You get a .1 GT3 with an F0/G0 motor. The top end wears in a manner that requires replacement within the 10 year period, and you get a G6 engine from Porsche at no cost to you (other than downtime), at which point you don't have to worry about the engine again.
  3. You get a .1 GT3 with an F0/G0 motor. The engine does not require replacement within the 10 year period. You take action, replacing the top end with the solid lifter & cam set up that Dundon Motorsports has developed. This costs you some money out of pocket, and some downtime, but you don't have to worry about the engine again.
  4. You get the .1 GT3 with an F0/G0 motor. The engine does not require replacement within the 10 year period. You choose to do nothing, and the top end wears in a manner that requires replacement after the warranty expires. You pay for this out of pocket, roughly $50k (based on the invoices people have received from their dealers after a G6 replacement) as well as downtime.

Given that in the current market, 991.1 GT3s sell for roughly $50k below 991.2 GT3s, the only scenario in which you may lose financially is #4, which requires negligence. The cost of the Dundon solid lifter top end in scenario 3 is admittedly speculative, but for the product to make financial sense for Dundon to sell, it would have to be drastically cheaper than the cost of a full engine replacement -- or else people will just go do that.

A 991.2 GT3 of course is a faster car than a 991.1 GT3, to the tune of 25hp and a few other revisions to the aero, drivetrain, suspension, and interior/exterior styling. However, I'd argue that a .1 GT3 offers probably something like 95% the capability of the .2 GT3, but for 75% of the spend in a best-case scenario. Sure, the .2 GT3 will be theoretically faster, but are you so good of a driver that you'll be more consistent day-to-day than the 5% performance variation between the two generations? If both are PDK, I would also argue that the driving enjoyment you'd get out of a .1 GT3 is probably identical to the enjoyment you'd get out of a .2 GT3.

Based on the above, I chose to purchase a .1 GT3. I've had no problems with the car so far, it is absolutely intoxicating to drive every time, and the ~50k left in my other investments has served me well so far.
Great post, I believe I read the cost to replace the original OEM E-F-G motors with a G6 is $42K. That may be an internal dealer thing or just plain wrong but if that is the case after the 10 yr is up that would be the route I would go. The 10 yr warranty has pigeon holed the OEM motor as far as performance mods go. I think things will get interesting with this series once all the .1s are off warranty.

From a performance standpoint I finally got to ride in a 991.2 on track last week and the power difference is noticeable especially on initial throttle. I have no doubt the C2S is similar. For long term tracking I think any GT3 is going to hold up better and be easier to mod/setup.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:11 AM
M156
Intermediate

Update
I did it
have to say for the short drives I have done so far no regret.
Personally this is my fun car and for that purpose it’s miles ahead a 992 c2s
Now I am even more looking forward to a manual 992 gt3 allocation!
thanks everyone for the advice
The following users liked this post:
jb997 (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 01:51 PM
NNayak
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Congrats -- beautiful car!
Old 06-22-2022, 02:56 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 294 Posts

Very nice! Congrats!!!
Old 06-22-2022, 03:23 PM
ddugas01

Received 148 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks good for a base model but, you'll be adding ppf, ceramic wrap, roll bar, track seats, Harnesses, Jiro Disks and Track pads, DSC Controller, 19" track wheels, track exhaust and get the camber set up for tracking, plus you'll need the center lock torque wrench, jack etc.. Before you know it, that white will look plain and you'll want to add a wrap, plus PPF on top of the wrap. And don't forget you'll need to upgrade your racing attire to fire proof race suit, race shoes, gloves, helmet, and then there's the track timer. You'll start off with harry's but before you know it you'll be into the Solo, or VBox, plus want video of all of your track runs. Then, you'll need coaching because you can't seem to get past 24 and the track record is 19, so load on the coaches, plus replacing tires every track weekend will start adding up so you'll switch to scrubs, and then need another set of 19" track wheels since you've already spent so much money you might as well make sure you can last the weekend. Then, if you're lucky, your engine will blow and Porsche will grant you a brand new G series which will make it all seem worthwhile. Finally, you'll get tired of your local track and want to track it at Sebring or Road America or the Glen, so you'll pick up a trailer. First, you'll get an open trailer but before long you'll realize showing off a six figure car in the parking lot of a hilton may not be the smartest thing you've ever done so you'll trade that puppy in for an enclosed one, with a winch. But you'll need to add better tires because they don't come with good ones. You'll need a 3/4 ton minimum diesel pickup to haul this beast to your favorite track, and several credit cards to get the truck filled up on the way. Then, someone will write something about the new version out with some type of fancy suspension that you can't live without, so you'll uncouple all of the things you've done to the car, trade it in for a loss, buy your new toy and do it all over again. Isn't life grand! Don't forget to buy track insurance from OpenTrack @ $7k a year.

Last edited by ddugas01; 06-22-2022 at 03:25 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by ddugas01:
gravedgr (06-24-2022), Highline-Autos.com (06-22-2022), itrsteve (06-23-2022), jb997 (06-23-2022), NNayak (06-22-2022), RDCR (06-24-2022), RSBro (06-24-2022), smiles11 (06-24-2022), sur5or (04-16-2024), TheDangerZone (06-26-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-22-2022, 03:32 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by ddugas01
Looks good for a base model but, you'll be adding ppf, ceramic wrap, roll bar, track seats, Harnesses, Jiro Disks and Track pads, DSC Controller, 19" track wheels, track exhaust and get the camber set up for tracking, plus you'll need the center lock torque wrench, jack etc.. Before you know it, that white will look plain and you'll want to add a wrap, plus PPF on top of the wrap. And don't forget you'll need to upgrade your racing attire to fire proof race suit, race shoes, gloves, helmet, and then there's the track timer. You'll start off with harry's but before you know it you'll be into the Solo, or VBox, plus want video of all of your track runs. Then, you'll need coaching because you can't seem to get past 24 and the track record is 19, so load on the coaches, plus replacing tires every track weekend will start adding up so you'll switch to scrubs, and then need another set of 19" track wheels since you've already spent so much money you might as well make sure you can last the weekend. Then, if you're lucky, your engine will blow and Porsche will grant you a brand new G series which will make it all seem worthwhile. Finally, you'll get tired of your local track and want to track it at Sebring or Road America or the Glen, so you'll pick up a trailer. First, you'll get an open trailer but before long you'll realize showing off a six figure car in the parking lot of a hilton may not be the smartest thing you've ever done so you'll trade that puppy in for an enclosed one, with a winch. But you'll need to add better tires because they don't come with good ones. You'll need a 3/4 ton minimum diesel pickup to haul this beast to your favorite track, and several credit cards to get the truck filled up on the way. Then, someone will write something about the new version out with some type of fancy suspension that you can't live without, so you'll uncouple all of the things you've done to the car, trade it in for a loss, buy your new toy and do it all over again. Isn't life grand! Don't forget to buy track insurance from OpenTrack @ $7k a year.
This was incredible. Post of the year.
The following 3 users liked this post by itrsteve:
LZRD GRN (06-23-2022), MattBauer (06-18-2024), RSBro (06-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Trading 992 c2s for 991.1 gt3