Speeding Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 08:03 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Ok, so we’re into ticket stories now.

Was at a friend's house just jawing one gorgeous spring Sunday. Got a call from the ER about someone with belly pain they wanted a surgeon to check out. So I head out, got to the highway where there was construction, and one semi kindly let me into a long line of semis. We all trundled along one lane for about 10 miles. Finally escaped the train and got on it into the left lane. As I passed the lead semi along a curve, I saw the cop in the distance. I checked my speed, I was 80 in a 65. His lights immediately came on. I didn’t bother pretending to be innocent. I just pulled over. He didn’t move his car more than 10 feet. Big cop saunters over.

Cop: What’s the rush?
Me: I got a call to the ER about a patient with abdominal pain.
Cop: So, it’s an emergency?
Me: Well, it’s just abdominal pain and……..
Cop: (snarling voice) SO, IT’S. AN EMERGENCY!!?
Me: Sir, yes, sir, it’s an emergency sir.
Cop: (Smiles, pleasant voice) Drive safely.

He then goes back into his car and works the radar. IIRC, the patient just had too much gas and simply needed antacids . Today, most truckers use Waze, and I would have gotten warned. LOL
General surgery ER call sucks… couldn’t imagine being called in for “gas” and getting a speeding ticket to boot

I always wear my lab coat to and from work- has saved me numerous times over the years and simplifies the interaction with law enforcement 👨🏻‍⚕️🩺

Last edited by Fang911; 04-04-2022 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:38 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting
If by the "bend" you mean the small road before the kink, the answer is no. You go straight towards the kink, and either brake or breath the gas depending on how big your you-know-whats are. There's no run off, there are are a lot of streaks on the left concrete barrier, so I would say the kink is the scariest part of the track because it's hard to gauge max safe speed there. Me, I brake. LOL!!
I meet up with a buddy from Carmel, IN and another guy from PV (AZ) for weekends at Road America once or twice a year with MVP Track Time- they run a pretty tight ship and don't put up with shenanigans. Spun out a couple of times at turn 4, and always get a little white knuckled at the Kink- particularly in the 997.1 GT3- much less so in the Evora and 991.2 GT3. Regardless, this is the best way to take advantage of your car's capabilities without risking your license.

As an aside, I've always thought that instead of dividing the track groups into "Novice", "Intermediate", and "Advanced"- it should be "Twenty-something year olds" and "Guys with jobs and families"
The following users liked this post:
Palting (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 10:14 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Fang911
I meet up with a buddy from Carmel, IN and another guy from PV (AZ) for weekends at Road America once or twice a year with MVP Track Time- they run a pretty tight ship and don't put up with shenanigans. Spun out a couple of times at turn 4, and always get a little white knuckled at the Kink- particularly in the 997.1 GT3- much less so in the Evora and 991.2 GT3. Regardless, this is the best way to take advantage of your car's capabilities without risking your license.

As an aside, I've always thought that instead of dividing the track groups into "Novice", "Intermediate", and "Advanced"- it should be "Twenty-something year olds" and "Guys with jobs and families"
Spun out at Turn #4? I think you mean Turn #5.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:36 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by LexVan
Spun out at Turn #4? I think you mean Turn #5.
Yeah, turn #5 (at the end of the back straight) would make more sense but the first time at RA about 12 yrs ago in a 997.1 GT3- I lifted off and spun at #4. Twice. Embarrassing, no other words for it.

As an aside, I accidentally showed my 70 year old parents GoPro footage of the spin (was trying to show them a clip of more competent driving) and my mother turned pale and went down for an 8 count

Last edited by Fang911; 04-04-2022 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Speeding Tickets