Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GT silver mirror housings? Exchange?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 01:12 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 547 Posts
Default New GT silver mirror housings? Exchange?

Hello all -

I am a new owner of a 991.2 GT3T which I have obviously purchased second hand and there are a few small things I want to change on it. Specifically I'm not a fan of black trim/wheels/etc... Wheels are easy - I purchased a set of BBS magnesium wheels to replace the black ones. For the gloss black window trim, I'd like to replace it with real OEM bright aluminum but it seems like a real PITA so I am going to see if I can find someone to wrap it in a bright silver finish... We will see - worst case I can live with the black window trim. The last piece is those mirrors... They have the CF covers which I could easily have painted GT silver but since Porsche charges nearly $2K for that option, It might make more sense to buy a new body colored set and sell these or trade with someone or something. Only problem is I can't find any regular GT3 mirror housings for sale at the usual places (Sunset, Suncoast, Pelican). Anyone know where to find a set? Or better yet, anyone with GT silvers that wants to trade?

For clarity, this is the car now:

And this is the look I'm going after (albeit with the BBS magnesium wheels):

Last edited by RudyP; 03-05-2022 at 01:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BruceT (03-07-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 05:53 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

I think I answered my own question by finding a used (and kind of gnarly) set of cheap mirror housings on ebay that I can have repainted GT silver.

I think the big question is if I can get the window trim done in bright silver but if I can it should look something like this in the end - much less Darth Vader (please excuse the amateurish photoshop)...

Last edited by RudyP; 03-05-2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:00 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 234 Posts

Hi RudyP,

Congrats on your purchase! What a great addition to your already epic stable!
I think you definitely go for the chrome window trim, it just make the Touring special and classier in my opinion.
Here are some links on how to do it :
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/906724-replacing-the-window-door-trim.html
https://www.eyeofthekiger.org/post/porsche-911-991-2-window-molding-removal

I took delivery (2nd hand) of a 2016 991.1 Targa 4GTS 7MT which has silver LEDs which I may plan to change to black LED in the future. My car is Euro spec (I live in Europe) though, it is a shame I don't live in the US, otherwise, I would have offered you a swap :-D

Old 04-02-2022, 12:59 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Watson
Hi RudyP,

Congrats on your purchase! What a great addition to your already epic stable!
I think you definitely go for the chrome window trim, it just make the Touring special and classier in my opinion.
Here are some links on how to do it :
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/906724-replacing-the-window-door-trim.html
https://www.eyeofthekiger.org/post/porsche-911-991-2-window-molding-removal

I took delivery (2nd hand) of a 2016 991.1 Targa 4GTS 7MT which has silver LEDs which I may plan to change to black LED in the future. My car is Euro spec (I live in Europe) though, it is a shame I don't live in the US, otherwise, I would have offered you a swap :-D
Thanks Watson - since the first post, I have swapped the wheels and mirrors and now my wife has convinced me to leave the window trim black as she rightly points out that it will be a lot of things/colors going on since there is still some black trim already so inserting shiny chrome into the mix will actually probably result in being more busy than I would like. So I think I will leave it as is (other than the window tint which is coming off this week).

The following 2 users liked this post by RudyP:
SantaFePorsche (04-02-2022), Watson (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 03:32 PM
homesauce
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks great and I would also keep black window trim. One thing that I’ve been on the fence about are the side decals for my own car. Sometimes I like them but other times I yearn for a cleaner look.

Quick Reply: New GT silver mirror housings? Exchange?