Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First GT3 Track Day: Essential Tools/Items?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 09:39 PM
NNayak
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 33 Posts
Default First GT3 Track Day: Essential Tools/Items?

I've got my first track day with my .1 GT3 coming up at the end of March. I am not unfamiliar with HPDEs or W2W racing so I'm aware of the general items to bring. However, I am unfamiliar with GT3s and Porsches in general, as this is my first, I have only owned it for a few months, and have not had the opportunity to wrench on it myself.

That being said, I'm curious what folks on here bring along to track days. What specific tools, service items, and parts do you guys bring along?

For what it's worth, this is a one-day event, and should any serious failures happen, my disposition is probably to load the car back up and bring it home rather than do major service in the field.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-27-2022, 10:09 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by NNayak
I've got my first track day with my .1 GT3 coming up at the end of March. I am not unfamiliar with HPDEs or W2W racing so I'm aware of the general items to bring. However, I am unfamiliar with GT3s and Porsches in general, as this is my first, I have only owned it for a few months, and have not had the opportunity to wrench on it myself.

That being said, I'm curious what folks on here bring along to track days. What specific tools, service items, and parts do you guys bring along?

For what it's worth, this is a one-day event, and should any serious failures happen, my disposition is probably to load the car back up and bring it home rather than do major service in the field.

Thanks in advance!
Assuming your car is in fine condition, you don’t need much:

pressure gauge
oil/funnel
the removal tool for the centerlock caps is handy
glass cleaner
tire inflator

Nothing really special needed unless you are swapping wheels at the track.
The following 4 users liked this post by dsteding:
DHI (02-27-2022), monchter (02-28-2022), Palting (02-28-2022), TheDangerZone (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 10:22 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

The car is solid as an anvil. No service items needed, especially for one day event.

You've been to track before so you probably already know the rudimentary:

Fairly fresh brake fluid.
Air pump or portable compressor.
Tire pressure gauge.
Glass cleaner and paper towels.
Keep hydrated

Old 02-27-2022, 11:06 PM
bwhip
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 112 Posts

Not all tracks have fuel, so be sure you’ll have plenty. GoPro if you’re so inclined. In a garage or outside? Comfortable chair, shade, cooler, hat, etc.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:04 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

OP: congrats. First track day is a big and special experience.

Do not bother with bringing too much or going all-out on tech items. You have a lot to digest so really, focus on your driving.

I would only bother with a tire gauge and pre-install your tow hooks front and back. Don't bother with wheel change blah blah blah. That's way down the road for you.

I assume you're all sorted with safety: helmet, gloves. If not, sort those out pronto.

Don't forget to enjoy. It's a journey to savor at each step!!

p.s. you'll have a LOT of people offering all sorts of info to you. Tire pressures, how to trail brake, shift points, lines thru corners blah blah blah till the cows come home. Don't be too fussed--all that will come to you in due course if you enjoy yourself

A pic from my first track day, good for laughs:

Last edited by CRex; 02-28-2022 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:18 AM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

I would also add to the good advice above, make some friends and ask questions as needed.
No trophies and nothing to win. Have fun!
Old 02-28-2022, 10:35 AM
S54VooDoo
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

OP said its his first trackday in his GT3, not overall.

Thag being said, GT3 is the ultimate show up and drive car. And wrenching on it is annoying encough that I didn't even bother trying at the track. Just have an up to date AAA membership in case you need to tow it back home.

So... Bring a helmet, tire pressure gauage, compressor to fill air back up, and ensure your tow hooks are present. The low friction to just doing a track day is the best part about the GT3.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:49 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

In addition to the above - a lot of water. Stay hydrated.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:56 AM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

Tow hooks are reverse thread.
The following users liked this post:
toddjude (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 12:51 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 265 Posts

Some specific GT3 things to be aware of that I recall from my first day with a 991.1:

if you're required to run windows down as many groups do, you may experience some buffeting at speed. There are solutions- like the stick on winglets, I think I had Blackmill on mine. For one day probably not an issue for most, but may want to address if you track it a lot.

The low fuel warning will come on at 50 mi range remaining. depending on your driving it may come on with near 1/2 tank remaining. Just toggle it off.

If you use race circuit mode in TPMS, you need to re-select it each time you start the car. otherwise it will go into learning mode.

Good idea to check centerlock torque ahead of time and be sure the center pins are fully engaged- popped out to cover the internal splines.

I drove in sport mode, exhaust open, and PDK in auto (but that's a personal choice). if wet I had PASM in normal mode.

Have fun, great car for a HPDE.

Edit- oil mentioned above and I agree, mine would use some and usually had to top up on a weekend event. For a single day may not need to. If I recall, the manual says recommended level is 3/4 on the range in the display.

Last edited by zedcat; 02-28-2022 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:02 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 161 Posts

Helmet
Tire pressure gauge
Chair
Hat/Umbrella/some sort of shade
Water
Water
Water
Old 02-28-2022, 03:14 PM
NNayak
Rennlist Member

Thanks a ton for the information, guys. Glad to hear that the cars are typically good to go. In that case in addition to the basics I'll just be sure to bring along a standard metric/SAE tool set for any light issues or rental trailer issues that may arise.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:16 AM
GT3PDL
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Is always a good idea to have the dealer or a reputable race shop do a good tech inspection to make sure tires, brakes, fluids are all up to the task. Like others have said, if maintained regularly these cars are pretty bullet proof.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:57 PM
NNayak
Rennlist Member

Copy, yeah. I've recently had the following service performed at Cantrell Motorsports in the Seattle area.
  • Oil & filter change
  • Engine air filter service
  • PDK service
  • Rotor & pad wear life evaluation
  • Brake fluid flush w/ Castrol SRF
  • General mechanical inspection
The following users liked this post:
GT3PDL (03-01-2022)

Quick Reply: First GT3 Track Day: Essential Tools/Items?